“Mostly great!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I was greeted very well by the front desk. They didn't have a regular king non, so the girl at the desk said she would put me in a two queen and upgrade me for free. Paid 84+tax. I was so impressed with the sale, I took the deal. The room was very clean. I worried about the smell of the chlorine from the connecting water park to the hotel, but the room did not smell one bit. Internet worked great, two wireless signals going at all times.

Found old coffee grains in the maker. All of the main lights are connected to a kill switch. It was all or nothing. Nice if you are laying in bed and don't want to get up to turn em off. Weird if you only wanted one light on, the hallway light would also always be on. Hair dryer cord would not stay extended, bit of a pain.

Other customers with low ratings were upset about noise. It was not the walls that were thin, it was the doors. They had no ability to prevent hallway noise from coming in. They need to be replaced. Course, other guests allowing their doors to slam every time they enter or leave their room would help. There were no children in the halls at all when we stayed. I would never, ever expect the hotel to be responsible for other people's children. If children are alone, other guests need to turn in the parents or else it's a lawsuit for the hotel if they do ANYTHING. I worked in hotels for 8+years. Never blame the hotel.

But the presentation was excellent, and the front desk pair were busy and being very professional to other customers. Excellent! I had to love the professionalism.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

997 - 1,003 of 1,117 reviews

Reviewed October 12, 2010

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Even though there is a water park attached to it, there was not a lot of noise. The desk clerk put us on the top floor so there would not be anyone (kids) upstairs running around. This may have been the friendliest and happiest staff I have ever encountered in a hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We were here for 5 nights. If we had not been required to pay in advance for the whole thing, we
would have left after the first night. In order for us to receive any kind of service to the room, we had to request it. The other couple with us who stayed at same place 3 rooms down the hall know for a fact that the room had not been cleaned thoroughly as the coffee maker had moldy coffee grounds left in it.
We made the mistake of staying there with a water park attached. We thought school age kids would be in school. Not so. They were running up and down the halls past 10:00pm every night , the walls are thin in this relatively new motel, and the people next to us you could here the talking and snoring.
Oh and dogs barking in the halls! If we wanted to use the pool of course we had to pay extra.

2  Thank travlngranma
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This La Quinta is located together with a Mariott next to a giant indoor waterpark. I am sure it is very popular as a winter getaway for the locals, but the location for a tourist more interested in Mount Rushmore is too remote, way up on the Interstate several exits east of downtown and decent restaurants.

We were upgraded to a suite due to our LQ Rewards status, which was nice even if the window was totally blocked by the entrance soffit. Refrigerator did not have a freezer, an inconvenience for freezing our cooler's blue ice.

One downside was the pets allowed policy - we did not ave a problem, but don't like having a room previously occupied by dogs.

1  Thank PeteL92833
Reviewed October 2, 2010

First I have to preface this by saying we stayed here on a Monday night, mid-September so the kids at the swim park were no problem. As a couple without children we would never stay here in the summer or on a weekend due to the water park being such a large kid attraction.

The hotel was very nice and excellently located. The rooms seemed almost new and were very clean. The breakfast room is entirely too small. We were there on a Tuesday morning and not during the busy summer season and we still could not find a seat.

The front desk/check-in. The young lady who checked us in was friendly and peppy. However, she received a call concerning rates and availability during our check-in process. She interrupted our check-in to go into length the rates and availability dates etc while we were waiting to finalize the check-in . I don't know if this is a new La Quinta policy but the same thing happened at another one of their hotels during our trip. I know La Quinta has a 1-800 reservation number. The calls should be transferred instead of handling them while people are waiting at the desk. It's the height of rudeness.

I gave a good rating overall but it's only for those with children interested in the water park. For couples, I would suggest some place else if your stay falls in the summer months or on weekends. I'm going to mark "NO" because of the that.

Reviewed October 2, 2010

We stayed here a week while on vacation. The room was clean and comfortable, and I cannot say enough good things about the front desk staff and all other staff members. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was always well stocked. The location was perfect for getting to all the tourist locations and restaurants. We did not use the Waterpark, but it seemed to be a big hit with other families. Yes, I Highly recommend this Hotel!

Reviewed September 28, 2010

I finally had a couple of days off after a long summer and my friend and I drove to rapid city. We did not have reservations and arrived at the La Quinta. The city was nearly sold out and we did not have a lot to spend. However, we were greeted with friendly accommodating service. We had already found cheaper accommodations elsewhere, however, because of the way that we were treated, we chose to stay. Great rooms, great water park and excellent service.

THANK YOU TO YOUR STAFF FOR MAKING OUR STAY SOOOOO GREAT!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends