“Awful”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Very difficult to find, even with sat nav, you can see it but which road to get to it ?
Not very clean, breakfast terrible, rooms stunk of cigarette smoke
What more can I say, we will never use a La Quinta again

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank arisaig
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City

Reviewed September 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed here in mid-September and, like many guests I believe, came in after a day of traveling. For the money in particular, the accommodations were decent. The hotel is connected to a water park, which was...different. We did not go to the park however.

I looked over other reviews that were posted and did not encounter such problems. The premises were not as absolutely clean and tidy as some other places, but they were acceptable.

All in all, I would recommend staying here if you are traveling through.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2010

The walls in the hotel are so thin you can hear your neighbors' TV all night long. Because the hotel is connected to a water park, you also hear kids running down the hall all the time. You can also hear doors constantly slamming all day and night. I called to complain to the front staff, and apparently, they seem to be aware that this is a recurring problem.

Also, the cleaning staff do not like to replenish your supply of soap and shampoo, unless you remind them.

They offer free coffee all day, which is nice; but due to it's clientele, the place where coffee is offered is a mess.

Their free breakfast is awful and I didn't bother to take advantage of the free food because, even at no cost, it was not worth it.

They offer pay for view movies but the remote control that I had did not work; so I could not watch any movies.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

Went to SD for a weekend getaway..had reservations to stay at the LaQuinta because they were pet friendly....We got into our room and there were bed bugs on the head of the bed, I reported it and they sent to down the hall to a different room that was absolutely filthy. I wanted a clean room but they said they were full. All the other hotels that took pets were full, this room was $180 a night. What a joke! The bedskirts had so much dust on them I could have grown potatoes, when you pull back the sheets the matresses looked like they had been rode hard and put away wet. The manager called me back after i reported them, she offered me a 25% off coupon to come back and stay. I left alot out about this room, the hallway and the staff, seriously makes me ill to even think of children and families in a place like this. By the way I didnt take the dumb coupon,.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank robtrip95
LAQUINTA-GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

We spoke with this guest during her stay and she did not find a bed bug in her room. It was merely a single, tiny black beetle that is commonly found here in the Black Hills of South Dakota. However, as a precautionary measure, we had one of the most reputable national pest control companies inspect her room and they confirmed with us that there were absolutely no traces of bed bugs found. We have on file a written report confirming the fact that not a single bed bug was in that guest room.

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria in the media about the resurgence of bed bugs in America, certain unsavory guests know that making false claims about the presence of bed bugs in a hotel is the quickest way to receive a refund, rebate or steep discount.

We understand that it is impossible to please everyone, however, when a guest blatantly tells us that if they do not get their room for free, they are going to spread rumors online that are untruthful, we are forced to stand our ground. The 25% off gift certificate offered to the guest by my Front Office Manager was a gesture of good will and not a form of compensation and we are sorry to hear that this caused them even more distress.

While TripAdvisor.com is generally a reliable source of guest comments about different hotels, more and more it is being used by unsavory characters to extort refunds from hotels and tarnish their reputations.

Reviewed September 9, 2010

I've got no real beefs with this place; my wife and I recently stayed here for not cheap but reasonable, and everything was fine. The bed was comfortable, the service was nice, and the breakfast wasn't fancy but enough (self-service).

The only thing I didn't like about this place was that they don't have a pool. Yes, La Quinta is attached to a water park, but a water park isn't a relaxing pool you can use to unwind after a long car trip. However, if all you want to do is use a hot tub, you can get an "observer's pass" for free (at least, they gave us ours for free) that basically limits you to the (pretty large) hot tub in the Watiki water park. Other than that, I wouldn't recommend the water park -- it's absolutely not worth the price of admission.

I saw a couple of prior reviews complain about bedbugs. My wife and I didn't see any; we found our room to be pretty darned clean. Even then, nowadays bedbugs are beyond anybody's control, and it's not a reflection on the quality of the hotel, as anybody who's paid attention to any reports on one's local news can tell you.

And I saw another review say complain about a view of a junkyard. Must have been a different hotel, because this one -- with the waterpark shared with the other hotel, right? -- is nowhere near a junkyard; actually, nowhere near ANYTHING, really, save a gas station or two! However, if you need to go to a store or restaurant or anything, all you need is a five-minute drive down Interstate 90.

But really, I have no complaints. Just be warned that you'll probably have to deal with a ton of little kids -- remember, this hotel is near a major family tourist location AND has a water park on top of that!

Reviewed September 6, 2010

This was a terrible value for the money. Granted, we stayed Labor Day weekend which is the Greed weekend for local hotels, but I was disappointed in many things about LaQuinta. The breakfast was poor (the toasters don't work), the carpets were dirty, one of our rooms did not get maid service, and the view is of a junkyard. You can use the adjacent water park for $16 a person but so can anyone. Ive stayed at many places in Rapid City and this was by far the worst value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We look for and stay at LaQuinta motels whenever we are traveling.. Until this stay at the LaQuinta Inn in Rapid City, SD, we have never had a bad or poor experience at a LaQuinta anywhere!!!!!!!

The LaQuinta Inn in Rapid City has very misleading pricing. They were charging much more than the highest rates shown in the current AAA Books. The large highway signage advertised $99.99 room rates but room charge was $160.00 plus tax,... This is maybe a $79.00 room value... Very bad!!!

The driveway east down into their parking lot hole is extremely poorly marked. There is not nearly enough parking for the size of this La Quinta and the connected hotel!!! Bad drive, bad signage and bad parking.

The lobby area is far too small for the size of the hotel. The desk clerks, while nice, simply were overwhelmed... Bad service.

The motel carpets need cleaning and floors need cleaning, the halls need paint and the room we had needed deep cleaning. This is not an $160.oo per night motel.

The breakfast area was not clean and had a very poor selection. The ladies working the breakfast area were nice but simply overwhelmed.

We question whether LaQuinta's name should be on the Rapid City location!!!!

1  Thank R B