“Not worth what they charge”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Not worth what they charge”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This is not worth the money they charge! The cost of the tickets is not cheap. I asked about the waterpark's special price of 5 tickets for $33 on the website, where we paid $49.95 for the tickets: makes it cheaper to stay in another hotel, and pay to get in off the street. (You don't have to stay at one of the two hotels to use the park.) They tell you two complimentary tickets per room to the waterpark, without informing you that that is solely for entrance to the park, and to sit in the hot tub. We paid $254 for a suite that we were told had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa: it had one bed and the sofa.
I would recommend Great Wolf resorts around the nation, anytime, over these!! We paid around $300, and got a room with two queen beds, and literal "cabin" of logs that had a bunk bed and a daybed, with a tv. And, all of our waterpark passes were free with the hotel room. Never, I mean NEVER, plan to stay here again. It definitely proves that you don't always get what you pay for!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Northern Minnesota
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Yes there is a cool waterpark that the kids loved, but you have to pay separate admission. You get a $2 per person discount staying at the hotel, but next time I'd stay somewhere else and pay the $2.

Breakfast is as basic as it gets, and then they run out if muffins and yogurt with an hour to go. Toast, cereal or a 20+ minute wait for waffles. No eggs or fruit any time.

Room smelled of smoke even though it was supposed to be non smoking.

• Stayed June 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I stayed here because I was traveling with my dog and they allow pets. I was very disappointed because the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the couch in the sitting area was even worse! As others have said it was really humid in the hallways and did smell of chlorine. I couldn' take it so after three nights of torture in the bed I checked out early and moved to another hotel where I could get some sleep.

As for the pet area, it's a small muddy area with very little grass so hard to get your pet to relieve themselves there. Most people were walking their dogs along the road to get a little grass. I loaded my dog up and took her to nearby parks where she had room to walk around.

With the hotel being connected to this small waterpark I would have expected it be free for my use but there was a charge that was ridiculous for what was at the waterpark. So no pool or hot tub to enjoy after a day of sightseeing. Waterpark geared to small to early teen children not adults.

Beware, when I got home I was charged an additional $132 that I still have not gotten credited back to me although I was assured after faxing my bill in I would be reimbursed. Maybe it will come tomorrow. I have had to make several phone calls but was finally assured I would get it back.

I think there are better places to stay in Rapid City.

1 Thank Loree L
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I've been staying at La Quinta in RC off and on for about the last two years. The hotel itself and the service have been great. Was especially pleased with the service I got from Betsy when I checked in, and from Steve when I checked out. They both were most anxious that I enjoy my stay, and were incredibly responsive to every request that I made.

I'll be staying there again this fall.

VSC

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This hotel and the Fairfield are connected by a large water park. The hall ways were wet by the people coming in from the water park. We were here only one night and would have canceled the second night.

Fremont, California
Reviewed May 27, 2010

My wife and I flew to Rapid City to spend a week to enjoy the springtime of the national parks nearby and stayed at La Quinta Inn. We were very disappointed with the stay. First of all, I felt that I was not treated well by one of the employees. Secondly, this hotel permeates with the smell of swimming pool chemicals, I'll get to that later.

When we arrived we were given a room that was full of smoking smell. We like the spaciousness of the room so we decided not to make a fuss and kept the window open to vent it out.

My wife does not like to sleep with the heater/air conditioner humming all night, and it gets kind of chilly with the window opened even just a little, so we called the front desk to get an extra blanket. No problem, come down to get it, so I did.

The next day when we returned to the hotel, the extra blanket was gone, apparently the maid took it away when she made up our room. I went to the front desk and asked for a blanket again. The lady at the counter, look up from her keyboard, immediately and firmly told me no, the hotel is full today, there is no extra blanket. She did not move a single step from her computer or asked the house keeping people if a blanket was available. Can you imagine that a hotel does not have a single extra blanket? What happened to the one they gave me last night? Behind the veneer of superficial politeness, I can clearly see the reluctance of her not willing to do anything extra for me. I wore my thermo underwear to sleep that night.

What bother me most was the swimming pool chemical smell and the humidity once you step into the front lobby. As it turn out, the hotel building is jointed together with an indoor water park, the two businesses were simply separated by a double doors at the lobby. Children who use the water park must go through the lobby to get back to their rooms, so the doors were constantly opened and closed, all the moist air and the indoor swimming pool smells permeates the entire hotel. I suppose those who work in that environment get used to it, but if you step in from outside, there is no way you will not notice it. Also, the tiled hallway between the lobby and the elevator often times were wet from the drips of the people from the water park. I always walked carefully to make sure that there is no wet spot on the floor that I might step on accidentally.

In conclusion, I will not return to this hotel again.

2 Thank Tony1628
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We are traveling with family from both Colorado and Oregon. La Quintas are our hotel of choice when traveling. We had a few housekeeping issues and talked to Andrea at the front desk about it. She let housekeeping know what happen and the problem was solved the next day. Andrea is such a bubbling personality, smile on her face kind of gal and welcomes guests so warmly. That means a lot to a weary traveler. If we are ever in Rapid City again----we would return for another visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family