“Comfortable, clean & inexpensive”
Review of Avanti Motel

Avanti Motel
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Grand Forks, ND
“Comfortable, clean & inexpensive”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My brother & I spent the night at the Avanti when our car broke down while traveling through town, after having it recommended to us by a local mechanic. The two older gentlemen who we saw working were both very kind & friendly, and the room was clean & comfortable, although obviously older. The room contained a fridge, microwave, cable tv, & small table w/two chairs. We couldn't find a wi-fi network, but for the price and location weren't surprised. The lobby (open until 11:00pm, reopens at 6:00am) has brochures on the area, an ice machine, postcards for sale, etc. There isn't a pool on location, but we were told that all guests are welcome to use the pool at the Castle Inn just up the road. I would definitely consider staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed at the Avanti earlier this month while on a road trip with my dad. We booked this motel for a night because it was affordable (especially considering how expensive Rapid City is), Lonely Planet recommended it, and there were decent reviews on here (although they were old). BIG MISTAKE. While the stay started okay (the guy who checked us in was very nice), we had a strange feeling about the place. It didn't appear to be dirty (I even checked the mattresses for bed bugs, and they appeared very clean, although strangely covered with plastic below the sheets), but there was a VERY weird vibe and we decided that there was no way we were spending any time actually awake in the hotel. We came back late and the second my dad actually sat on his bed it was clear the matress should have been replaced 10 years ago (I could see how uncomfortable it must be. He looked like he'd just sat on a half deflated air mattress). The reception was already closed so there was absolutely nothing we could do about it (although I'm not sure they would have done anything anyway). My poor dad had a misearable night of sleep. I slept fine (my mattress wasn't so miserable) but when I woke up in the morning I realized that I hadn't had a good night of rest. My neck was covered in huge red welts of bug bites that were NOT there when I went to bed. I also had one bug bite on my left inner arm near my wrist with a giant red circle around it and a streak moving 2/3 of the way towards my elbow. It was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

We immediately packed our stuff and I bagged everything that had touched my bed in a ziploc for fear of taking bugs with me. These were NOT bed bug bites. I have no idea what ate me. When we checked out we told the woman about the mattress and her response was "I'll tell maintanence"-- no clue what they would do about that. Nothing to fix-- just throw away and replace! When I showed her the bites she said "huh" shrugged and wrote it down and did not seem the LEAST BIT suprised. This has clearly been a problem in the past.

We went to a pharmacy to get hydrocortisone and I asked the pharmacist if I needed to be worried. She said the bites on my neck looked like spider bites, but she wasn't sure. She said to take Benedryl, watch the bite on my arm and if the streak grew go straight to an emergency clinic or ER. A couple of hours later the streak was up to my elbow-- very quickly. We went to a doctor, and $150 later I was stocked up with a weeks worth of antibiotics and steroids for the infection and swelling in my arm. He said that the bug must have been carrying bacteria that went straight into my bloodstream when I got bit. He confirmed the bites were not bed bugs, but may be spiders (or something else. he said it's impossible to know for sure).

It took another 3 days for the infection to clear my system (it got worse, to the point it was almost at my shoulder) before it got better.

So much for a cheap night at a nice motel...

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank Nicole L
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I, along with my wife and friends, have stayed at the Avanti for numerous events since 1999. Jerry, one of the last truely honest and sincere motel owners, along with his staff, are EXCELLENT!! While this is not a 4-Star luxury hotel, it is always clean and quiet. On the two occasions where we did have an issue, the Staff made it go away within minutes...I do not believe that there is any better place to stay....except fo maybe the Townhouse a few blocks away....and Jerry owns that one as well!!!

• Liked — Staff and the costs
  • Disliked — Motel is older - a bit worn...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank zippytaz
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2007

This place was terrific. The building was old, but the room was nice and the bathroom was brand new. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave as well. There was cable and wifi, although I had trouble connecting to the network. It's down the block from a nice park with a pond and walking paths, a few blocks from Main Street, and close to several movie theaters. We were also allowed to use the tiny, but refreshing pool of another hotel three blocks away. The best part of the Avanti is the amazing staff. The man who was at the desk knew our names, gave us movie timetables, amazing directions, restaurant recommendations, and rebooted the router when I complained I was having problems. When we left our key in the movie theater, he was so nice about it, and didn't charge us to replace it. He offered to leave notes on our door when people called while we were out. Just about the sweetest man I ever met and he totally made the experience of the Avanti so worthwhile.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank mantaraggio
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2005

MONDAY, AUGUST 22
Spearfish, SD to Rapid City, SD
We are on a 3 month road trip crossing Canada & USA from West to East.
Stayed in Rapid City at Avanti Motel [$40.99]. Motel OK, clean, comfortable bed, a/c. microwave, fridge. Dinner at Zangers Table and Parkway. Reminded me of what I think a Route 66 diner would look like with airplane theme. Great food and staff. Two dinners and beers, $25 with tax & tip].
Next Stop: Pipestone, MN.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member