“This charming little motel even has its own concierge service. (very helpful front desk staff)” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avanti Motel

Avanti Motel
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Columbia, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Motel is clean, rooms are larger than you would expect, and this is an excellent value. Although they do not serve breakfast, there is a really good doughnut shop within two blocks that I walked to every morning and it opens at 5 a.m. My family and I took two rooms, none of us saw (or felt) any bedbugs. They do not have a swimming pool but will allow you to use one at another motel a few blocks away. The staff is very helpful, when we wanted restaurant recommendations, the gentleman at the desk would have the information right at hand, even called the restaurant for me and checked on the hours. So you get real concierge service at no extra cost. If the motel is full, the staff is nice about calling around to other motels for vacancies. I was traveling with my elderly parents and the motel was good about holding a first floor room for them so they did not have to climb the stairs.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They have two smoking rooms but non-smokers probably would not care to stay in them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Henderson, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

Beware this motel has a history of bed bugs! I did not know it, and I ended up with over 187 bed bug bites while staying in room 13 on August 24 and 25, 2010.... The motel knows of the problem because it has plastic covers for the mattresses, but they have not corrected the bed bug problem! My trip was ruined. I doubt it if they even care.... What a bunch of blood suckers the motel is!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank SteveO327
AvantiMotel, Owner at Avanti Motel, responded to this review, May 21, 2015
I understand that this is an older review, however as one of the new owners of this motel I would like to address our current process to help reduce the risk for bed bugs. This motel is currently sprayed every month as a preventative measure to help ensure your stay is as great as possible and this does not happen to you. Whether we think there is an issue or not in a room each room is individually sprayed and inspected by a certified technician hired to help reduce our risk.
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I went back to this hotel because the staff is very nice and helpfull, the rooms are clean and spacious. however, the breakfast is not included, it's a pity. the hotel is not so far from the city center. Very affordable (except during Sturgis Rallye). I am very glad of my stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Two Harbors, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

Nothing Fancy, but very clean, comfortable beds, quiet area. There is nothing wrong with this motel. The staff and owner treat you like they are old friends. I am a 65 year old retired Sheriff, and found this place to be just what I needed for a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Forks, ND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

My brother & I spent the night at the Avanti when our car broke down while traveling through town, after having it recommended to us by a local mechanic. The two older gentlemen who we saw working were both very kind & friendly, and the room was clean & comfortable, although obviously older. The room contained a fridge, microwave, cable tv, & small table w/two chairs. We couldn't find a wi-fi network, but for the price and location weren't surprised. The lobby (open until 11:00pm, reopens at 6:00am) has brochures on the area, an ice machine, postcards for sale, etc. There isn't a pool on location, but we were told that all guests are welcome to use the pool at the Castle Inn just up the road. I would definitely consider staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2010
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed at the Avanti earlier this month while on a road trip with my dad. We booked this motel for a night because it was affordable (especially considering how expensive Rapid City is), Lonely Planet recommended it, and there were decent reviews on here (although they were old). BIG MISTAKE. While the stay started okay (the guy who checked us in was very nice), we had a strange feeling about the place. It didn't appear to be dirty (I even checked the mattresses for bed bugs, and they appeared very clean, although strangely covered with plastic below the sheets), but there was a VERY weird vibe and we decided that there was no way we were spending any time actually awake in the hotel. We came back late and the second my dad actually sat on his bed it was clear the matress should have been replaced 10 years ago (I could see how uncomfortable it must be. He looked like he'd just sat on a half deflated air mattress). The reception was already closed so there was absolutely nothing we could do about it (although I'm not sure they would have done anything anyway). My poor dad had a misearable night of sleep. I slept fine (my mattress wasn't so miserable) but when I woke up in the morning I realized that I hadn't had a good night of rest. My neck was covered in huge red welts of bug bites that were NOT there when I went to bed. I also had one bug bite on my left inner arm near my wrist with a giant red circle around it and a streak moving 2/3 of the way towards my elbow. It was the most bizzare thing I've ever seen.

We immediately packed our stuff and I bagged everything that had touched my bed in a ziploc for fear of taking bugs with me. These were NOT bed bug bites. I have no idea what ate me. When we checked out we told the woman about the mattress and her response was "I'll tell maintanence"-- no clue what they would do about that. Nothing to fix-- just throw away and replace! When I showed her the bites she said "huh" shrugged and wrote it down and did not seem the LEAST BIT suprised. This has clearly been a problem in the past.

We went to a pharmacy to get hydrocortisone and I asked the pharmacist if I needed to be worried. She said the bites on my neck looked like spider bites, but she wasn't sure. She said to take Benedryl, watch the bite on my arm and if the streak grew go straight to an emergency clinic or ER. A couple of hours later the streak was up to my elbow-- very quickly. We went to a doctor, and $150 later I was stocked up with a weeks worth of antibiotics and steroids for the infection and swelling in my arm. He said that the bug must have been carrying bacteria that went straight into my bloodstream when I got bit. He confirmed the bites were not bed bugs, but may be spiders (or something else. he said it's impossible to know for sure).

It took another 3 days for the infection to clear my system (it got worse, to the point it was almost at my shoulder) before it got better.

So much for a cheap night at a nice motel...

• Stayed July 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nicole L
Lincoln, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

I, along with my wife and friends, have stayed at the Avanti for numerous events since 1999. Jerry, one of the last truely honest and sincere motel owners, along with his staff, are EXCELLENT!! While this is not a 4-Star luxury hotel, it is always clean and quiet. On the two occasions where we did have an issue, the Staff made it go away within minutes...I do not believe that there is any better place to stay....except fo maybe the Townhouse a few blocks away....and Jerry owns that one as well!!!

• Liked — Staff and the costs
  • Disliked — Motel is older - a bit worn...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple