“I would definitely stay at this hotel if I was in the area...”

Super 8 Rapid City/LaCrosse St
Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of the problems of rating hotels when you go to a variety of different types of facilities is the disparity in expectations. I don't expect a Super 8 in Middle America to be comparable to a resort in Mexico or the Caymans, yet they all had the same four star rating. In this case, I should have known better.

We got this hotel on Hotwire, in part because of the good reviews and four star Tripadvisor rating. It wasn't what I was looking for, but I was locked in so hoped that the four stars were indicative of a better than Super 8 experience. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

First, let me say that the employees were very friendly and helpful and they are the ONLY reason this place got a three star rating instead of two. They are value added, give them a raise. Other than that, no major problems, but a number of minor ones. The room is small and not easy to get around. I usually expect a king size or two queen size beds through Hotwire, but this was one queen size bed (with no warning of such), and we are not 100% sure it was even that big. Difficult egress on one side due to the wall being too close, and it was only borderline comfortable. Old TV, but good channels and wifi. We left the towels on the floor for pickup and they hung them back up. Not what we had in mind. They say it is a pet friendly hotel (but only after you commit on Hotwire), so I called ahead and asked for a non pet room because I am allergic to pets. When I got there, I asked her to reassure me that this was a non pet room, but she said that pets usually are on the bottom floors. No guarantee than my room was pet free, other than that they vacuum regularly. Also, no pool for the kids which is obvious on their website, but not on Hotwire. Good central location for all attractions and numerous restaurants in the area. All in all, I would not stay here again. It is a two star hotel, and an average one at that, and the tripadvisor rating is misleading.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
s8gm3587, General Manager at Super 8 Rapid City/LaCrosse St, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property this past summer. First, let me apologize for the late reply as we had circumstances out of our control to answer sooner. We do allow pets at our location and due to the allergies of others we strip the rooms, vacuum, and then we have them shampooed. Unfortunately some guest are not always truthful with us about having pets as well. As for the towels, we would like to apologize for them hanging them back up. That is not our policy we have stay green information in all of our guest rooms. You will find that information hanging up on top of your towels in the bathroom as well as laying on your bed. With so many sights to see in our area many of our guest are good without having a pool. However, we are sorry that you were unaware of this before coming to our location. Hotels.com is aware of what our room types are here, and that we do not have a pool as well as no elevator. Again we apologize to you for miscommunications in the way you booked your room.

We to here at our Super 8 think our staff is great. Thank you again for your review of our establishment.

General Manager.
Davenport
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The place was perfect for us. Fridge, microwave, king bed and easy access to all the great sights and activites of the Black Hills area. We had a great time and a clean, comfortable, convienent place to return to at night. The breakfast is just okay, but the staff at breakfast are first rate and very helpful (and it is free). No complaints, just extra money we didn't pay for a more expensive place that we used for our vacation.

Room Tip: Get a king.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
s8gm3587, General Manager at Super 8 Rapid City/LaCrosse St, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our location. We strive to have all our guest feel welcome and be comfortable in our home, while you are away from yours. I'm so
glad that you enjoyed the King room that you were in, we think they are very accommodating also. We look forward to serving you again when you return to the beautiful black hills. I also wanted to apologize for the delay in this response. We had some circumstances that were just out of our control.

General Manaager
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This one was along I-90 so easy to get to. Since we made reservations late we had our room on the 3rd floor. No elevator so it can be a long way up! The bathroom was nice. Decent continental breakfast. Wifi worked well. I didn't compare rates. We paid $99 plus tax for June 16th.

Really wish rooms that sleep 4 would have 4 towels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our Motel. We understand about going up to the third floor, we all wish we had elevators as well. We want all our guest to be comfortable and welcome in our home. I also wanted to apologize for the delay in our response, due to
circumstances out of our control.

Sincerely
Alexandria, Minnesota
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I choose the super 8 LaCrosse for its location and cost. My family stayed their in June of 2013. The gal at the front desk seemed a bit rude and bothed when we went to check in. When we entered the room it had a strong odor of old smoke and mold. We had to leave the room with the AC on high to air it out a bit. Worried that the gal was going to blame us for the smell I said nothing to her. It is a very plain low budget place. The AC and the TV worked well. The continental breakfast is a typical spare Super 8 breakfast. The coffee and tea was good and always fresh. The beds and pillows are quite hard for my taste. There was no Kleenex in the room; just an empty box. There was also no extra toilet paper either. Because of our stay at this location we will not stay at another Super 8 location again. I would not recommend Super 8 to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations while you were a guest of our location. We know that there are always room for improvement and we at our location have reviewed ALL your concerns. We are now completely a non smoking facility. Please do not punish all other Super 8 Motels because you were unhappy with your stay here. I really hope that you would consider us again to win back your loyalty.