“Clean Room , Great Service, Breakfast falls short”

MainStay Suites Rapid City
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as we were passing through town. I put Value as a 5 because they had the best prices in town the evenings we stayed. The rooms include a full kitchen. We had a single Queen with a sofa bed. Rooms are small but for a one or two night stay this was not a problem. If you need room to spread out this room is not for you. No ice Machine be-sure to flip the level in the freezer in your room so you will have ice. Worked out very nice for us. We didn't have to run up and down the hall finding ice. Rooms are very clean as the hotel is only a couple months old. In the room we were only provided with one towel. We ended using a couple from the exercise room). Laundry area was in a nice location and kept very clean. The big disappointment was breakfast. We were never able to find a place to sit and they never had enough food. No waffles on the first day and the oatmeal was more like paste. On the second day we had breakfast much earlier thinking maybe that would help. We were able to find a seat but oatmeal was still paste and no fruit. We decided to go out for breakfast. Overall nice place, quiet clean room, friendly staff. But don't count on breakfast and make
sure to ask for extra towels.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The staff member at the front desk was especially accommodating. After a long, difficult day of driving in storms, we were given a free room upgrade. When I asked for restaurant suggestions, I was given an area map and helpful information. Being a newly constructed hotel, everything was clean and attractive. The pool area was especially nice. The room was one of the most comfortable my family stayed in during our three week vacation. The location was convenient (adjacent to Cabela's) with plenty of eating establishments within a short distance. The only improvement needed at this hotel would be a larger breakfast area. The food was good, but there was not enough seating, and people were bumping into each other in the small serving area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Nice hotel - newly constructed. Front desk staff was very helpful. Breakfast was okay, but the staff serving it was very helpful (special call out to Denise). Nice spacious rooms. Nice pool where the kids were able to wind down after all day sightseeing. Would definitely stay here if we ever go to Rapid City again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NavM6612
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was cramped, but had everything we needed in it. A little more table space to sit and eat a meal would have been nice. The full kitchen was very nice to have when traveling with young kids; plenty of dishes, and utensils. The breakfast area was extremely crowded, we often brought our food back to our room with us (fortunately we were located close to the area); though there was always a sufficient amount and nice variety of foods. Given the price of the room, breakfast included and a full kitchen we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sara T
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was definitely superior to most comparable hotels. Brand new, well appointed, and a uniquely configured room complete with modern, attractive kitchenette! We stayed only one night, but I could imagine staying there for a multi-day business trip and feeling very satisfied. The couch and desk are both a plus as was the hot complimentary breakfast in the morning! Great value. The pictures of the room do not do it justice!

1  Thank IowaJuanita
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Our initial impression was great. It's new, clean, shiny, and well located for travel. That quickly fades once your in.

The public areas, (lobby, pool, breakfast area) are over crowded and under managed. By 9:00 am there was nothing but pastery left so we were forced to go out for breakfast.

The AC never actually cooled the room down enough to make it comfortable and opening the windows was not an option because they aren't real windows they're panes of glass.

Housekeeping gave us an unwanted wake up call at 7:45 am by letting themselves into our room despite the Do Not Disturb sign.

When we attempted to get ice at 8:30am we found there are no ice machines on the property. If you provide your own container ( because ya know everybody travels with an ice bucket ) the front desk will happily ration you out enough for about .2 glasses while chastising you for not turning on the ice machine in your room fridge. When I explained we had and it only dumped once all night I was ignored.

When I returned to my room, again before 8:30 am I found my room key no longer worked. I fought my way through the crowds back to the desk to receive another lecture keeping key cards away from anything magnetic. You know, because I live under a Rick and have never seen one of these there fancy key cards before. I explained the key had only been on the desk and in my hand and was again ignored. There was never a "sorry for the inconvenience" or a " gosh let me fix that". I was at best a nuisance in here mad bid to move as many cattle thru the lobby as fast as is humanly possible.

This place looks new and fresh because it is new and fresh, but it's essentially an overpriced motel 6 with a full size fridge. I can think of a lot better things to do with my $150 a night.

3  Thank Kimberlykate N
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The Mainstay was a wonderful breath of fresh air (literally.) It still has that new hotel smell. The decor was very asthetically pleasing. The entire staff was professional. The fresh ripe fruit with breakfast was a pleasant surprise. The one thing that did not follow suite with the rest of our hotel experience was the dirty pool (I.e. cloudy and clumps of hair.) The condition of the pool is probably attributed to the soccer convention in the area in the days preceeding our visit. I would stay at this hotel again given the opportunity. As a matter of fact we have already booked it on our return trip.

• Stayed: June 2013