“Very clean, great for a family trip”

MainStay Suites Rapid City
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was cramped, but had everything we needed in it. A little more table space to sit and eat a meal would have been nice. The full kitchen was very nice to have when traveling with young kids; plenty of dishes, and utensils. The breakfast area was extremely crowded, we often brought our food back to our room with us (fortunately we were located close to the area); though there was always a sufficient amount and nice variety of foods. Given the price of the room, breakfast included and a full kitchen we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sara T

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The room was definitely superior to most comparable hotels. Brand new, well appointed, and a uniquely configured room complete with modern, attractive kitchenette! We stayed only one night, but I could imagine staying there for a multi-day business trip and feeling very satisfied. The couch and desk are both a plus as was the hot complimentary breakfast in the morning! Great value. The pictures of the room do not do it justice!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank IowaJuanita
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Our initial impression was great. It's new, clean, shiny, and well located for travel. That quickly fades once your in.

The public areas, (lobby, pool, breakfast area) are over crowded and under managed. By 9:00 am there was nothing but pastery left so we were forced to go out for breakfast.

The AC never actually cooled the room down enough to make it comfortable and opening the windows was not an option because they aren't real windows they're panes of glass.

Housekeeping gave us an unwanted wake up call at 7:45 am by letting themselves into our room despite the Do Not Disturb sign.

When we attempted to get ice at 8:30am we found there are no ice machines on the property. If you provide your own container ( because ya know everybody travels with an ice bucket ) the front desk will happily ration you out enough for about .2 glasses while chastising you for not turning on the ice machine in your room fridge. When I explained we had and it only dumped once all night I was ignored.

When I returned to my room, again before 8:30 am I found my room key no longer worked. I fought my way through the crowds back to the desk to receive another lecture keeping key cards away from anything magnetic. You know, because I live under a Rick and have never seen one of these there fancy key cards before. I explained the key had only been on the desk and in my hand and was again ignored. There was never a "sorry for the inconvenience" or a " gosh let me fix that". I was at best a nuisance in here mad bid to move as many cattle thru the lobby as fast as is humanly possible.

This place looks new and fresh because it is new and fresh, but it's essentially an overpriced motel 6 with a full size fridge. I can think of a lot better things to do with my $150 a night.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Kimberlykate N
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

The Mainstay was a wonderful breath of fresh air (literally.) It still has that new hotel smell. The decor was very asthetically pleasing. The entire staff was professional. The fresh ripe fruit with breakfast was a pleasant surprise. The one thing that did not follow suite with the rest of our hotel experience was the dirty pool (I.e. cloudy and clumps of hair.) The condition of the pool is probably attributed to the soccer convention in the area in the days preceeding our visit. I would stay at this hotel again given the opportunity. As a matter of fact we have already booked it on our return trip.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ksincox
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I hate to write this review, because overall, the hotel itself was very nice to stay in. The bed was comfortable. Everything felt new (as they had only been open about 3-4 weeks). The breakfast was not bad, had waffles, eggs, potatoes, your choice of cereal or breads and coffee 24 hours. The rooms were very nice, with the full sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, silverware/dining material.

I literally had only one issue for the whole time there, and was very disappointed in the way it was handled. I understand the place is new and there are things that need to be done, but was it really necessary for them to be painting the walls outside our room until 1245 in the morning. Literally from 1130pm-1245am, we could hear the sound of the paint rollers moving up and down the walls over and over and over. We could not sleep. So finally at 1245, I called the front desk to complain, and they wrapped it up about 15 minutes later.

The next morning, I spoke to the manager on duty about how obnoxious it was that we had to call them to get them to stop. He initially asked if they stopped after I had called the front desk and I said yes about 15 minutes later. I asked why it was necessary for them to be working at almost 1am, in areas where people are trying to sleep. He replied, "To get it done." I'm a naturally sarcastic person, but this set me off. I hadn't had much sleep the night before and had to drive back to Colorado to get this guy's smart [--] remark. I was infuriated. Like I said, I understood that this is new hotel and that work will need to be done. But common sense says I shouldn't have to call and complain at 1am to get them to stop being loud outside a room where people are sleeping. I was so beyond angered with this, that I swear to never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ebu527
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Motel is new ,checked in late, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, breakfast was good with a variaty. Will stay here again in the future!!Great motel and staff. Wish we had more time to check out the pool.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Fredelcamino
Reviewed June 20, 2013

While searching for hotels in Rapid City, I came across this MainStay Suites - which had lower rates than other hotels in the area. When I couldn't find any reviews of this hotel, I dug a little deeper and found out it was a newly built hotel. It looked nice and had a good rate, so I booked it.

My family stayed three nights, and had a wonderful experience! Because it's a suite hotel, all rooms have kitchens. Ours had a full-size refrigerator, microwave, small stove-top, dishwasher, plates, glasses, pans, etc. For a one-night stay, this probably wouldn't be a big deal - but for three nights it was!

In addition, this hotel offers a basic continental breakfast, guest laundry room, an exercise room, and a very nice pool (24 hour access too!) It is a great place for long-term business travelers or families. Thanks, MainStay Suites!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family