“Great Selection!”

Independent Ale House
Ranked #1 of 268 Restaurants in Rapid City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The first real tap room in Rapid City, an oasis for beer afficianados.
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Great Selection!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This place has always been one of my go to places when I want to relax or meet friends and BS. Enviroment is perfect, they recently opened a downstairs, and the BEER selection is great! highly recommend!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Chad R

Chicago, Illinois
“Interesting place”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just a beer and wine bar with a nice selection. If you can handle having the staff drinking while they are working check the place out. Would recommend going early before the staff has a few too many and the level of service drops

Visited October 2012
Naples, Florida
“This place is a real gem in downtown Rapid City!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Wow... this was a great surprise. If I lived in Rapid City, I'd be a regular of this place. We parked right out front... doesn't get more convenient than that. What a fabulous selection draft beers... wonderful. The waitress was very knowlegeable about each of the beer offerings and offered tastes of the ones we were interested in. She was an excellent waitress... positive, accomodating, and efficient. The pizza was just excellent... think we got one called "3 little pigs" or something close to that.... delicious and perfect with the beer. Love the atmosphere and the bar. I'll be back to this place if I'm back in Rapid City. Highly recommend the Independent Ale House.

• Visited September 2012
La Palma, California
“Great pizza, casual dining in downtown Rapid City”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stumbled across this place while on vacation in Rapid City with my family. It wasn't exactly what we expected when we walked in - we thought it would be more of a typical brew pub but in fact it was more of a bar. The only food they serve is pizza, but the pizza was excellent, and it was no problem at all going in there with our 6-year old daughter. The environment is nice and casual, and not at all noisy like many brew pubs are.

They have quite an extensive menu of specialty pizzas. They are basically individual pizzas, but we found that two pizzas for the three of us (two adults and one 6-year old) was just the perfect amount of food. The pizzas are thin crust and are made fresh to order - very tasty. Our daughter especially enjoyed the "Three Little Pigs" pizza which featured three different meats. We also tried a vegetarian pizza (I can't remember the name) but it had spinach and artichoke hearts on it - also very delicious. They have some very unusual ones on the menu like the Caesar which basically looks like a Caesar salad on pizza crust. We didn't try that one but saw a couple of them being served and they looked quite good.

If you're into beer, they have quite an extensive beer menu, many of them on tap. And these aren't your big name brand beers - there are a lot of unusual craft beers available on tap.

I found prices to be very reasonable. We fed our family of three for under $30 and that included two pizzas and one beer (the other two people just drank iced tea). Service was also good, especially considering it is a bar and not really a full service restaurant.

I would definitely return if I was in the mood for some good, fresh baked pizza.

• Visited August 2012
West Des Moines, IA
“An oasis for beer geeks”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

In downtown Rapid among an eclectic collection of shops and restaurants is this tap house with 28 rotating taps and over 100 bottles. I was there for their advertised craft beer festival, which wasn't really a festival, just a new selection of guest taps. An overhyped event in the Balck Hills, surely not. Anyway, the selection was very good. I went with the mystery choice in the barrel mini-keg in the table. It was SchellHeffe, surprisingly tasty, even without fruit garnish. I chatted with one staff member after I made a comment about noticing a bottle of SA Utopia on an out-of-reach shelf. We discussed styles and current events, nice to see they have staff that knowledgable about the craft. Stop on in for a pint or 3.

• Visited June 2012