“The way to see the Black Hill Sites”

Black Hills Open-Top-Tours
$284.00*
Mount Rushmore and Black Hills Safari Tour from Rapid City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: - BLACK HILLS #1 SAFARI STYLE TOURS - OPEN ALL YEAR - 7 DAYS A WEEK! Convertible-top vehicles ... open for sunny days/closed for inclement weather. View wildlife up-close and safely from inside our vehicles. Full-size Vans and Minivans - SUV's and ATV's for Off Road Tours - Handicap Accessible - Private Tours Available Free Pickup/Return to many area hotels. Tours include: bottled water, fees & snacks. Day Tours also include picnic lunch at lake or waterfall. Local Wine or Craft Beer Tasting Tours. Special Winter SnoTrax Tours of National Forest and Northern Hills. Winter Ice Fishing and year round Fly Fishing. Over 20 tours to select from.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Waterloo
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The way to see the Black Hill Sites”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Personalized service in an open top vehicle that is handicapped accessible. Taken on roads that coaches can't go with very knowledgeable guide to Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorial, Custer State Park, and the Needles. Lots of in depth information about the sites and the area. Guide stops on request for those special shots. A wonderful tour that let's you relax and smell the roses.

Visited May 2013

Lyon, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just a perfect day”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Visiting the region was really a dream for me. But I knew it would be difficult for me since I don't drive, I'm a solo traveller and I was around too early in the season. But I contacted Rich who answered to me very quickly, with a few different options corresponding to and even largely exceeding my wishes at very reasonable prices.

Since prices were in my budget, I could even upgrade my initial wish (Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse trip) to an all-day tour taking me to the Custer park as well.

From the very start, I regularly received emails and confirmations from Rich, what made me very confident (when you need to pay in advance to someone you don't know, these little signs make you feel so much better).

He offered to pick me up at my hotel and was here right on time as planned!

I spent an a-ma-zing day! I was really treated like a princess. Rich knows the region very well and arranges tours that really give you the opportunity to enjoy all the beautiful places around, but without feeling any rush. I felt totally comfortable to take my time here and there in order to take pictures or just enjoy the scenery and the moment. Since I'm a very contemplative person, I really appreciated not to be on one of these tours where you almost have to run from point A to point B, feeling almost guilty to just stop for a picture.

Rich really made his best to offer me the most perfect day I could have around, adapting his tour to my personal taste. Thanks to him, I could see, admire and enjoy much more than I had expected, including wildlife that I spotted thanks to his advice and excellent knowledge.

He didn't hesitate to take me to great places not included in the tour so that I could take pictures and also gave me plenty of precious advice concerning my next day in the city.

Not to mention that Rich is a lovely person, caring, interesting and fun to be with. And good company is a jewel for solo travellers.

I'll definitely contact him as soon as I come back in the region (I'd like to discover it during the Summer) and would not hesitate one second to recommend his tours to anyone since it's impossible to be disappointed.

Visited May 2013
Parkes
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Winter Tour”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

It was winter when I visited South Dakota so it was the low season for tourists, but this didn’t stop my tour guide. Rich was my tour guide and I was the only one on the tour - it was a fantastic experience.
Rich was so accommodating with everything from little side trips that allowed me unique experiences like close encounters with buffalo to helping me to play blackjack at Deadwood. Black Hills Open Top Tours is a wonderful way to experience all the wonders that South Dakota has to offer.
I would recommend Black Hills Open-Top-Tours to anyone who wants a more personalised holiday and one that will be remembered for a lifetime.

Visited January 2013
Ardmore, Oklahoma
“Excellent tour”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in Hilton in Rapid City and the concierge advised me to call Rich when I asked him about tours to crazy horse etc and he said it was the best tour in Rapid City. Rich was my tour guide and I have to admit that I really enjoyed the tour. He was so kind, and also very enthusiastic about history, nature, and teaching. Even before I started asking questions, he started telling me about the history as soon as I hopped on the car. He answered my endless questions !! very patiently. Although the tour included only the national park and the crazy horse, he wanted to show my other sites. I learnt so much in just 4 hours! I would definitely choose this tour if I ever go back to Rapid City.

Visited January 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful Tour”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Rich was our tour guide and the trip was great. We took the all day Mount Rushmore tour. We had struggled finding a way for my father to see the sites. He uses a walker and none of the larger companies could accommodate that. We were faced with the real posibility that he would have to stay behind. Then I stumbled on Open-Top-Tours. Rich was extremely easy to work with. He picked us up at our hotel, dad and all, and off we went. The tour was great, and the open top van was cool. We hit all the highlights, but we also saw things we would have missed without Rich. The tour went at our pace and we could really focus on what we wanted to see. Rich was very patient while we loaded dad in and out. Rich is really friendly and he knows a lot about the area. I would whole heartedly recommend Rich and his tours. We hope to return and take the Badlands tour sometime.

Visited August 2012
BlackHillsOpenTop, Owner at Black Hills Open-Top-Tours, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Hi Lisa-
I enjoyed our tour as much as you, you have a wonderful family.

And, I want to thank 'you' . . . in speaking with you before and after the tour, I decided to invest in vehicles equipped for travelers with mobility limitations. I admire the fact that you were so determined to include your father in the tour and not leave him behind. This year I have added a convertible top minivan with a lowered body and electric ramp that can accommodate scooters, wheelchairs and walkers . . . no one has to be left behind. I look forward to your returning to the Hills.
Be Well! Rich