“Room was fine, except for the sofa bed”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #32 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were looking for a place to sleep at the start of our family vacation. We were expecting a pretty nice place given the newness of the hotel. Our "suite" was shockingly small, but we could handle it as we were there only overnight. However, if this had been more than a one night stay I would have insisted on a larger room. In addition, the bed was comfortable, but the sofa bed was miserable. My 2 daughters could not sleep on it as it was way too thin and actually tilted to one side. It was a very long night.

Breakfast was good, standard continental breakfast with the addition of scrambled eggs and ham.

I told the gal at the front desk about the sofa bed and she said she would ask maintenance to look at it.

I have stayed at many hotels in Rapid City, and this one is no better or worse than many of the others. I would probably not stay here again with my family. I would probably stay if I was alone on business.

2  Thank georgisdsu

Reviewed July 25, 2011

After spending a night in a horrible disgusting room in Sioux Falls, this hotel was such a relief!! The front desk clerk, Steve, I think he was a Manager was extremely nice. he even knew where we were from, he had visited our area before. Our room was impeccably clean and the air conditioning worked!!! It was extremely hot in South Dakota at the time we visited. It was great to finally be able to relax!! I would recommend this hotel to everyone!! I never felt unsafe and the housekeepers are wonderful!! Thank you for the best two nights of our vacation!!! Going to dinner was easy too, right next door is a Ruby Tuesdays, just go down the steps and there you are, NO driving!! It was good food too!! Wonderful Hotel!!

2  Thank ladytaz07
skaw50, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and we appreciat your kind words. I do hope you have a chance to come and visit us again. We are always delighted to hear positive comments and we try our best to ensure every guest has a comfortable and relaxing stay.We believe our staff really makes the difference. We are very lucky to have Ruby Tuesday right next door as well as numerous restaurants within a few blocks. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Hotel was ok by itself but our stay was marred when we had personal property stolen from our room while we were out for the day exploring. When we told the front desk staff, they were absolutely unconcerned. No apology. No expression of regret or sympathy. Nothing. Presumably the only ones with access to the room was the hotel staff but the management showed no desire to investigate. When we asked again the next day, the only response was that they had asked the cleaning crew who reported they hadn't seen anything unusual. Hmmm. My advice: there are probably better hotels - and certainly better hotel staffs - in the Rapid City area. Why risk having hundreds of $$ of property stolen?

5  Thank michigantraveler05
SD056, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Please let me first apologize for any property that you feel was removed from your room. I hope that you have located your missing item. Because your reservation was made through a third party I was unable to contact you directly. The staff did apologize when it was brought to their attention and advised you that they would look into it.
When this was brought to my attention all staff members were immediately spoken to and questioned. I can assure you that all our employees go through thorough background checks upon hiring.
We have always provided safes in each room for every guest to secure their personal items.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

Very clean hotel and everyone we came in contact with was super helpful and friendly. Room are nice with fridge, microwave and little kitchette sink. Perfect for a family with little kids. BUT....as other people have mentioned there are paper thin walls, actually woke up to the person next door snoring and I think the person above us has a bladder problem as he/she was up multiple times a night. Toilets did the job with "jet" sound.
Over all I would stay again, just try to get 3rd floor and a corner room like other person stated.

Room Tip: Try to get 3rd floor unless a sound sleeper
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ChantelC210
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The hotel was very nice, great pool area with hot tube and sauna, breakfast was pretty good too. The front desk staff was very crabby, when we would ask them questions it seemed as though we were bothering them. They were not accommodating at all especially the heavy gal that works the over night shift. I will not come back to this Comfort inn again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chanhassen
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The Comfort Inn & Suites is a fine little place with clean rooms, nice continental breakfast, free wireless or wired internet in the rooms, clean exercise and pool rooms, as well nice suites with sink, microwave and fridge. It's away from town center but near the cathedral and Ruby Tuesdays so walkable to food and drink even if the better food is on Main street.

HOWEVER - the walls and ceilings are made of _tissue paper_. It's as if the builder cut corners on the thickness of the walls. I had a room on the 2nd floor and could hear every step, trip to the bathroom and pace of my upstairs neighbor. The thumping was so loud is woke me up at night. On the other side of my headboard, the wall was so thin that I could hear the snores of my next door neighbor all too clearly.

I strongly recommend everyone request a corner/end room on the 3rd floor. I would stay here again, but would do everything I could do to get as isolated a room as possible.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank boxinagirl
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed just one night at the Comfort Inn, but it was a perfectly nice stay. No complaints whatsoever. The room was clean and nice, the breakfast was fine, the location is very good for visiting Mt. Rushmore (about a 20 minute drive). There was plenty of fast food, gas stations, stores, etc. right down the street. And the front desk staff were the friendliest I've ever met. Would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family