“Below average for Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States
“Below average for Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I typically stay at HI Express. I must say, I am disappointed in this location. The front foyer is nice, but the rest of the place needs to be updated. The hallway carpets are worn and appear dirty, and when we checked in, there were sacks of trash littered throughout. I am currently sitting in the room, and there is an odd smell to it. Perhaps it's a pet room? Just doesn't smell clean. I noticed hair in the shower when I showered for the first time, and the drain is very slow. I won't stay at this particular location again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Yvonne B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Yvonne B,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased that you found our staff service good enough for your needs. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations you received.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
florida
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was a nice hotel...Lovely decor and appeared clean. My one problem was the bed - it wasn't very comfortable in my opionion...maybe it was just our room...but it hurt my back in the morning.

The bathroom was nice and the Shower head was terrific..really strong..

Room was a little oddly put together...the couch/sitting area was separated from where the TV was located. You could twist the TV around and could watch it from afar...Even though it was somewhat doable - I didn't love that...

Everything was very clean. Breakfast was standard - and good. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saudi Arabia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Very helpful staff at the front desk, check-in and check out were speedy. Breakfast in the morning was great, but breakfast room is not that big, so it is better to go early, at least you get to sit down, but apparently one can take breakfast to the room as well.
Rushmore mall and several restaurants are nearby, withing walking distance, but if you need to get further away, rental car/taxi are the only options. Nothing much to do in the hotel, there is a pool, but I did not swim. Instead used vending machines a lot.
I booked via Booking, got the room I wanted- it was quite a distance from elevators though. I stayed for three nights.
I did not experience much noise, apart from motorcycles outside- Sturgis motorbike weekend was ongoing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SatAtmaKaur
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, comfortable beds and helpful staff. Clean and had a great shower. A few restaurants adjacent to parking lot so easy to walk to. Breakfast was good and offered quite a few choices and had good coffee. A little high in price but it was a Friday night & Labor Day weekend.

1 Thank wintertraveler64
West Richland, Washington
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Have been staying at the expresses on his vacation. So far they have all exceeded my expectations. Hotel as a whole was clean and well appointed. Breakfast is as usual for these properties. No managers reception which I've started to like because it adds to the value of the stay. However it is made up for with a 15 % discount at tgi fridays when you show your key. The hotel is located close to the highway and very close to the mall. Also several of the most popular restaurants such as olive garden are at the mall. Was somewhat surprised that the king room didn't gave a fridge.

2 Thank Jim D
Reviewed August 1, 2012

It's the building that makes it a sleepless night. Walls shake with every guest coming and going from their room and the shower from the room above hammers.
The hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly.

1 Thank Donwen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Donwen,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am pleased to know that you found our staff friendly and our property clean. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Although your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My brother made reservations through Orbitz at several Holiday Inn Express properties. Each time the manager or clerk on duty was resentful and went out of his way to tell us that next time you must book directly to get your non smoking room. Here in Rapid City, though the non smpking room was requested on June 8 or so, when we arrived on July 21, there were only smoking rooms. This is an older Hoiliday Inn Express and has many smoking rooms. I am allergic to cigatette smoke and though they put some machine in the room, the masking odor was probably as bad. I had to suffer for the night since this is high season and I am traveling with others. I know for a fact that had we booked directly through the hotel, we could have had the non smoking rooms. This was a poor experience and I luckily sweated out all the bad humor during my trip to Mt. Rushmore. Last night they were able to change my room but still this entire hotel reeks of cigarette smoke. The hotel is old and you can hear the plumbing from all the rooms on either side.The airconditioning noises make it advisable to either leave it on all the time or turn it off.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear grannynanny,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased you liked our location. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations you received during your stay.

Pam G.