“Good service and clean rooms, and they let me bring my dog!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
“Good service and clean rooms, and they let me bring my dog!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My family stayed at this property over Memorial Day weekend on a spur of the moment, last minute touristy-type trip to Rapid City. I use Trip Advisor to find all my hotels, including this one. I called the day before to reserve the room, and had great service from start to finish. The price was right,($109 plus tax), they let us have a late check out because we were being lazy and wanted to sleep in a bit, and they are pet-friendly. I find alot of pet-friendly places put people in their crappiest rooms when they have their pet, but not the Holiday Inn Express. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower had insanely fantastic water pressure (I LOVE that, and it is so rare in a hotel). I can't speak for the breakfast as none of us got up in time to go get it... The pool area was clean and nice, the hottub was hot, parking is ample, and the place was quiet.. It was a good experience, so much so that we went to Devil's Tower and after deciding to spend another day in Rapid City, called the HIE and stayed there another night. We got a different room, but is was of equal quality, so the first room was not a fluke. It was a relaxing time, and I would stay here again and not hesitate to rcommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was a bit worried when I checked in as the lobby, elevator and hallways looked run down and the carpet was stained and worn.

However the rooms are very nice, updated and a good size. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Had a two-week stay here. Sorely dissappointed. Rooms were noisy; loud plumbing sounds, walls are paper thin. Had to move from ground floor to top floor to escape the horrendous loud pipes in room 107. Elevator was nasty and stunk really bad. Key failed three times on third-floor room. Smells of mold coming from AC in breakfast area. Staff was nice but in no hurry to fix anything. Pool ok; breakfast was nominal, room service as expected. Overall opinion, do not stay here. Too many issues.

Room Tip: Stay out of room 107!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kayboodad
Minnesota
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed here one night on the way to Colorado. We have Platinum status with IHG and they did upgrade us to large room with a whirlpool and fireplace. We are not fans of in room whirlpools but did like the extra room. It also had a new flat screen TV.

However, the bed was very uncomfortable (too soft and sagged in the middle) and the sheets did not fit it correctly - very annoying. It did not provide a good night's sleep.

There is only one elevator up to the room and it was filthy and had a large, long grease stain that ran from the elevator into the lobby. This elevator needs a deep cleaning and paint.... come on - it's the front door to the rooms on the upper floors.... it should be spotless. The lobby smelled of smoke and the hot tub was nice but looked like it needed a cleaning.

The staff was nice and it was a typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast.

We kind of wished we had stayed at the new Hilton Garden Inn down the road for $25.00 more.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boardwalk2003
East Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while touring the area and attending a concert at the civic center. Room was very quiet and clean. Good selection of food for breakfast. Restaurants next door including an Outback Steak House. Comfortable beds. Only negative was the dirty floor in the elevator. Also no refrigerator in room. We would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
south dakota
Reviewed September 11, 2011

my family was asked to leave the free continental breakfast area because our 2 children were not wearing shoes!! we were sitting at a table, about half done eating, and a grouchy employee told me that it was a state law. Humiliated and embarassed in front of 25 or more other guests, we took our food to our room. when confronted, the manager credited us the value of breakfast and has not been abe to come up with the details on this law. this was not a kid friendly place to stay, and we will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank prairiechickenking
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed in room 315 for two days. The morning of the second stay there were 30 crickets in the bathroom. When I called the manager she was not in and i was told I would receive a call by noon, That never happened. When I called back the manager was away for lunch but she would be calling me back shortly, never happened. The hotel is dirty and with staying in hotels 250 days a year this hotel has the worst customer service I have experienced

• Stayed August 2011