“Average Hampton Inn”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nebraska
“Average Hampton Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

I am a long-standing Diamond member and am traveling for the holidays. We stopped in Rapid City for the night and booked this Hampton Inn. I used to be a frequent guest at this property but it has been a few years since my last stay here. The hotel is just off the interstate with plenty of restaurants nearby. I called ahead to talk with the front desk and inquire about an upgrade but the woman told me there were no upgrades available implying they were booked full for the night. We checked in around 7 pm with only 5 cars in the lot. It is New Years Eve. Upon checking in I asked about an upgrade and was told that sure to the holiday the hotel does not offer any upgrades. The Diamond guest should be aware of this when choosing tjis hotel as they seem to not appreciate the loyalty that Diamond guests show to the Hilton chains. I would recommend Hilton members choose the Hilton Garden Inn over this Hampton Inn. My future Rapid City stays been be booked there. The hotel appears to only have a few rooms bookef for the night with less than 20 cars in the parking lot. I expect better of Hilton chains.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank nebrtraveler
GMRapid, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
I apologize you were not taken care of properly and professionally at the Hampton Inn of Rapid City, SD. We do very much value all of our customers and place high value on all of our Hilton Honors Member. You should have been upgraded upon your call to the property and/or upon arrival. I would like to extend a complimentary one night stay for you on your next visit to the Hampton Inn. We want you to feel like this is your home away from home. We love having you here! Please feel free to contact me at the hotel so I can make arrangements for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Verona, North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Usually I really like Hampton Inns. I thought the beds comfortable and good atmosphere. I have stayed at this hotel before but something has changed. I got 3 hours of sleep because of an overly hard bed. My husband woke up with a sore back. Not fun. There were only about 4 rooms used and we were put at one end of the hotel and on the second floor. I thought this was odd considering the hotel had very few people staying. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
GMRapid, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn on your trip to Rapid City. I am so glad to see you enjoyed our fabulous breakfast and had a good stay. I do apologize you didn't have a peaceful night sleep. The Hampton linen package and the mattress are one of the most comfortable in the hotel business. Please let me know when you will be coming back to the Hampton Inn and I would be happy to upgrade you to one of our King Rooms.
Rotterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

We fully booked and payed at a travelagency for an hotel in rapid city. This hotel was however not what we expected and due to previous personal experience we almost bursted out in tears.
So we went to the Hampton Inn and booked for 3 nights.

Never before had we such a wonderfull hotel. Staff at the desk was very helpfull. Room was more than expected and very clean. Beds were great. Breakfast the best (complimentary). Free wifi.
We traveled around this vacation and thought this was the best....ever!!!!
The atmosphere made us feel very safe wich is important to us.

To make a long story short, next year when we go on our trip, the only hotel we will book is the Hampton Inn.

Hampton Inn, Rapid City, we will never forget you and the staff!!
Thank you so much.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Eagle River, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Small room, especially when filled to capacity. The room was also poorly cleaned, with hair in the tub and stains on the pillow (looked like blood). Breakfast was unappetizing: poor selection of low-quality instant foods.

• Stayed September 2011
Marysville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Hampton Inn is often a standard for us when traveling with kids. The rooms are always clean, we can get a roll-out bed if needed and the kids love the breakfast. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. It is easy on/off access from the highway. The kids loved the pool. There was a slide that they could burn off energy each evening, especially after a long day of looking at sights and parks.

2 Thank Travelingconroys
GMRapid, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
I am so glad you had such a wonderful stay with us. The slide is so much fun for the kids and the breakfast is fabulous. See you on your next visit!
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of a three week tour of the Wild West and Yellowstone. Booked a family room several months in advance using comments on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed .Everything was OK , from the friendliness of staff to room cleanliness and size and hotel breakfast ( standard hotel / motel fare. ) Value was OK too . Beware room 233 ( from memory ) - our first night was in here and we all had no sleep owing to the room being right next to the pool and fitness room - with noisy pumps / machinery . We were moved the next day to another family room which was much quieter . Good base for exploring Mount Rushmore,( awesome!) the Badlands, Devils Tower , Deadwood and recommend the Minuteman missile site ( 75 miles East.) Had most evening meals in TGI's which is only 2 minutes drive from the hotel. Not too much choice in Rapid City for family sized rooms according to our research and this was OK , nothing special or memorable but nothing bad either. If we booked again we would go for 2 nights here and 2 nights somewhere to the West of Rapid City.

Room Tip: Not room 233 if you want a quiet night.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
It is great news to see that you and your family had such a memorable stay with us. We strive for excellent customer service and guest satisfaction with every visit. I am glad you had the friendly Front Desk staff move your family so you had a quieter room. We hope to see you on your next visit to the Black Hills
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn in Rapid City while traveling on vacation with my husband to Montana from Illinois. We liked it so much we stopped back at this same hotel on the trip home.

When I walked in I was expecting something a bit older since there was a new Hilton Garden Inn across the highway, however I'm glad I stayed at the Hampton instead of there. (I walked into the other hotel and was ignored).

At the Hampton Inn, the hotel clerk in particular made me feel VERY welcome. My husband and I had just gotten into town from a 14 hour drive from Chicago and she not only welcomed us, but realized how tired we were and offered us a complimentary bottle of wine to unwind! She read our minds!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER have I had that kind of service and treatment from any hotel! Then the room we were in was like new; new carpet, new flat screen tvs, microwaves, fridges, decor, everything seemed new! And the bed and bathroom were immaculate (as I have come to expect from Hampton Inns).

And nothing beats not having to pay for breakfast! FREE FOOD! My husband was thrilled! Even though it was very busy with lot of kids on the weekend that we were there, they had two SUPER nice older hostesses that worked so fast and were so pleasant assisting everyone I saw. It was a pleasure to watch them. Awesome service and thank you! We will be back! I was very pleased I made the choice I did staying at the Hampton Inn at Rapid City.

Room Tip: get to breakfast early, there are always alot of families that sit all day long in the breakfast are...
2 Thank CT1025
WOW! How exciting to have a bottle of wine after a hard day of traveling, I am so happy that my Front Desk staff welcomed you in such an outstanding way! You are right, the breakfast staff in the breakfast area are amazing and I am glad they took such great care of you. Having the guest room be immaculate for you upon check in and during your stay is what we strive for each and every day! See you on your next visit to Rapid CIty, SD.