“Worth the drive”

Hampton Inn Rapid City
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The Hampton Inn in Rapid City is another great example of hotels done right. Clean rooms, helpful, friendly staff and very accessible to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Hourse Monuments. If you are considering a trip to the black hills,Sturgis, Rushmore and Crazy Horse,you can't go wrong with this hotel,

Room Tip: Ask for king and use AAA if you have it. have your current hotel call the next one and check on avai...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 18, 2011

Is this even a Hilton????

One of the worst Hilton hotels I have ever stayed at! They should be ashamed. Rooms are dirty... full of dust, toe nails and old food. This could be all yours for only $224.00. Make sure you you book your room early because this awesomeness is going quick! Diamond Members hurry you can get in line to get ignored and disregarded at check in... Because there is no other Hilton around in miles!!!!!!! and they know it.

I was shocked that the front desk manager was offended upon mention how dirty the place and old the place looks. and... 2 hours in and I am still waiting on maintence to fix the AC.

Only good thing Hilton has going in this town is a brand new HGI opening soon. Bring on the HGI and tear down this Hampton.

Room Tip: Don't get room 203.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sc0ttG
GMRapid, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

I apologize you had such a bad experience at the property and have such a strong opinion. We have taken care of the issues that you are referring to with your stay. I can assure you there is an Executive Housekeeper on property that checks every room before a guest checks in. We value our Hilton Honors Guests very much and do take excellent care of them. In speaking with you last night, I am glad we had a chance to discuss the problems that you encountered. We are looking forward to HGI being our partner in the Hotel business in Rapid City.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

4 nights in this Hampton and my room key failed and had to be replaced every day. Huge flat screen that rattles with any base at all. The hall carpet is trashed. There is only one elevator for three floors. The room was over $200.00 per night which is much more than the ramada and Comfort inn which are half the price. Do not pay more than $109.00 for a room at this Hampton.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ScreenName55555
phoebe1969, General Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2011

I apologize you had an unpleasant experience at the Hampton Inn and that you had such a strong opinion about the rate, carpet and elevator. Having one elevator for a property this size is more then adequate and our carpet was replaced in 2009. Rapid City is in their peak season for Summer so our rates are fair and reflect what the market is doing. We value peoples feedback and react immediately for our guests to make sure they have the best experience and the most enjoyable and pleasant stay.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Pros - great front desk staff. Helpful. Friendly. Nice lobby.

Cons - poor housekeeping. Our room had a microwave that had popcorn remains from the previous occupant. The ice bucket still had water in it. There were bits of paper trash note floor. The pool looked dirty, the water cloudy. The rooms were expensive.

Conclusion - this is not a representative Hampton Inn in my opinion. It is the worst HI we have stayed in, and we have stayed in a lot of them across North America.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank mkelch
phoebe1969, Manager at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

I am happy to see that you had such excellent and friendly service from the Front Desk Agents, and you are correct, the lobby is beautiful. We are ambassadors for Customer Service and Guest Satisfaction at the Hampton Inn and we strive for excellence every day in every department. I apologize the housekeeping standards were not to your liking. I assure you the comments have been passed on to ensure this does not happen to our next guest. Thank you for your comments and opinion. Make it a great day!

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed here for one night in June 2011 using Hilton points. Of all the many Hampton Inns I have stayed in, I found this one to be a little disappointing compared to others, although not enough to complain to the management. The hotel was full the night we stayed.

Our room had a slightly unpleasant odor, the white bed coverlet was washed one too many times and the fill inside was really lumpy, and the counter console in the bathroom was cracked in one place and chipped in another. There is only one elevator off the main lobby, and it can be slow.

On the plus side, the shower and toilet were clean and the front desk staff was pleasant.

The breakfast was standard fare. The dining area, however, was not large enough to accommodate all the guests, so some ate standing up and a few took food into the lobby to eat or back to their rooms.

We had severe showers the night we stayed, and the power flickered on and off very briefly a few times. We had a third floor room and could hear the rain pounding on the roof.

This Hampton is in with a cluster of many different hotels, right off the highway. There are numerous places to eat nearby.

On the front end of our trip, we stayed at the nearby Holiday Inn Express - this Hampton required more than the usual Hilton points for the value, in my opinion - we liked the Holiday Inn Express better.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our beautiful property. I am pleased to hear our rooms were very clean and the staff was pleasant. We strive for exellence every day.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

As some other posters have stated, I'm also a Hiltons Honors Diamond member so almost always pick a Hilton branded property. Yes there aren't other Hilton choices in this area but we found our stay to be quite nice. Location within a 'courtyard' of adjoining other lodging properties is a little odd but not necessarily bothersome.

As with most Hamptons, we found the room to be clean, spacious and quiet enough for us to get a good night's sleep after a long day's drive. Used the fitness center - very nice - and thought the indoor waterslide would be a hit with the kids.

No complaints here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TFopinion
Reviewed June 13, 2011

After a 9 hour drive all I wanted to do was get into my room and relax for a bit. I got to the front desk and checked in - they already had my room assinged and the key ready to go but said that they need to bring my room towels - not a problem - when I walked into my room and nothing was cleaned I was shocked! I went back to the front desk and said it needed more than towels - and needed to be cleaned. They told me to just leave my bags in the room and leave and come back and it should be ready. I brought my bags back to my car and left for dinner. My room was ready upon my second arrival - but the room was not cleaned thouroghly. The lights didn't work next to the bed (was fixed), the bathroom had pubic hair all over it and was never really cleaned throughout my stay - the toilet had urine stains on it's base and stains on the seat.

They do not meet Hilton Standards nor did they meet my standards - there is a microhotel next to it and I sort of wished I was staying there.

Get it together Hampton - as the only Hilton Hotel in the area you should be leading by example and wowing your guests!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bashiru
ownerRapid, Owner at Hampton Inn Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

We are sorry that you experienced the housekeeping issues at your recent stay at the Hampton Inn of Rapid CIty. I can assure you that the standards require that each room be inspected by the head housekeeper prior to being turned over to a guest. Not sure what may have happened in your particular case but you can be assured your comment was passed on to the appropriate personnel to insure it does not happen again. The Hampton Brand has the unconditional 100% satisfaction gty which we strongly adhere to. If a guest is not satisified we will refund his or her nights stay. If you did not get your room night refunded please contact the hotel. Thank you for your input and our staffing and management are very committed to exceeding the standards of Hampton, its just good business.