“Nice, comfortable, clean hotel...”

Howard Johnson Rapid City
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed 4 nights first week of June. Comfortable hotel with spacious clean rooms. Not walking distance to downtown but convenient and close to highways and downtown area. Front desk staff efficient. Across from highschool and convention building. A lot of street noise on the weekend from teenagers meeting up in the school parking lot with loud cars - maybe room in back of hotel would be better. Overall nice place with comfortable bed and liked having fridge and microwaye in unit. As a budget hotel...the HoJo works just fine!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My family of four recently spent five nights at the Rapid City HoJo, and were really happy with it. I often have trouble sleeping in hotel beds, which are usually hard, but the beds in this hotel were really comfortable. Also, I never heard noise from the surrounding rooms or hallway--not sure if that was because there wasn't any, or because of soundproofing. The free breakfast offered a large selection, including boiled eggs, fresh waffles, yogurt, toast, pastries, cereal, juice, and more. My family was able to fill up, which saved us a ton of money. One thing to be aware of: this hotel is away from the main business section, so there aren't restaurants within short walking distance. However, it was close to the convention center, which offered a beautiful rose garden and walking/biking paths along a creek. Very pretty. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank leahmiapia
Michelle A, General Manager at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank You. I'm pleased to hear you slept well and enjoyed our breakfast. You are correct, the park by the Civic Center is absolutely beautiful. There are several good restaurants in the downtown area which is only about 3 - 4 block from the hotel and just south of the park. Once again, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

By far the best hotel I've stayed at in Rapid City. Laundry facilities, pool, sauna, & a great spread for breakfast! The staff was friendly & professional. Clean rooms with microwave & refrigerator. The freezer worked great by the way unlike many hotel refrigerators. Great location close to downtown Rapid City & interstate 90. In the lobby a computer with a printer, which was helpful doing mapquest directions to attractions. You get what you pay for and yes it is a little higher than most hotels but you get great amenities. This will be my first choice my next trip to Rapid City!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul M

Thank You for the wonderful review. I am glad that we not only met, but exceeded your expectations! I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

My brother and I stayed here last week. We remember the Howard Johnson hotels from our youth and joked about staying in one. Well, we are glad we did. All aspects of this hotel were excellent. The service was great, the breakfast great, parking was great, cleanliness was great, the room was great, and use of the computer was great. We were concerned when a huge group of teenagers were dropped off by a bus for some event in town. The hotel handled all of them well. We will definitely stay here next time in Rapid City, SD. You can't beat the price or service.

Room Tip: Try the top floor as it is quiet wihout someone walking above you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank gapperguy
Michelle A, General Manager at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you sharing your experience with everyone. We'll look forward to seeing you the next time you're visiting the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Family of 5. We stayed here for 4 days and enjoyed every bit of it. Best part was the cont brkfst, lots to choose from from fresh waffles to boiled eggs lots of yummy foods and was nice to fill everyone's belly before a day of sight seeing. We would stay here again if we ever visit again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sarahrip
NancyJSmith, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Howard Johnson Inn & Suites in Rapid City. It is our goal to give each guest a happy experience and we're pleased to hear that we succeeded with you. We look forward to seeing you in the Black Hills again. Thank you for your kind remarks.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Front-desk staff was welcoming. My room was attractive, clean, comfortable, and quiet. Wireless service was fine. Breakfast was good; there were apples and oranges but I wish there had been a banana for my cereal. I found my statement and a newspaper at my door in the morning. They offered me a 15% discount for my next stay at this inn. I would stay there again even without the discount.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Greg N
NancyJSmith, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson for you stay in Rapid City. And thank you for your kind response to your stay. We appreciate the time it took to send in your response and we look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

If you are looking for a clean, comfortable room with a lot of bang for your buck, this is your place. I stayed here for 10 days while working. The staff were all extremely friendly. The rooms have great amenities, comfortable beds and I found it very relaxing. They offer an excellent breakfast and the social hour in the evening is exactly what the doctor ordered! Thank you for being a great place to stay. It is very close to the Civic Center. There are not a lot of options for dining in the immediate area, but with in a short drive or a few minutes of walking you are right downtown able to take in the president statutes and enjoy the downtown experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side. It is a residential area with no roadway noises. I have stayed o...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank sdhockeytraveler
NancyJSmith, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful grading of our hotel. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and give them a happy experience. We look forward to your future stays with us. Thank you, again.