“Better than I expected”

Mt. Rushmore Black Hills Gold Factory Tour
Ranked #6 of 18 Tours in Rapid City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Over a span of 14 years, 360 goldminers-turned-craftsmen carved a rough granite mountain into a polished national treasure, known today as Mount Rushmore. Today, in dozens of intricate steps, our craftspeople carry on this tradition of quality and excellence with every piece of Mt. Rushmore Black Hills Gold and diamond jewelry. There are many steps involved in the handcrafting of a single delicate design. Each piece is cast, shaped, ground, polished, soldered, cleaned, wriggled and engaved by our skilled artisans. Take a fascinating FREE tour through our jewelry factory to watch up-close and learn the details of how gold jewelry is made. During the tour you'll see the ancient process of lost-wax casting and how diamonds are cast in molten gold! Tours are arranged to fit your schedule and we're conveniently located on your way to Mount Rushmore!
New Windsor NY
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Better than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Mt. Rushmore, an American icon, is an attraction that everyone recognizes. However, when you are lucky enough to view it in person, it is quite an experience. I expected to be impressed, of course. However, upon entering, Mt. Rushmore is framed by an archway of flags from all 50 states. There is an outdoor amphitheater that enables you to sit comfortably and spend as much time as you'd like just staring at this magnificent work of art. As you walk along the Presidents's Trail, you are able to view the various presidents from different vantage points. There are also stops along the way which provide information on each president. In addition, you can also view information about the history behind Mt. Rushmore. I have been to countless national landmarks but this one is, by far, one of the top five. Absolutely worth the trip! A side suggestion: definitely take a ride on the Needles Highway. An incredible experience!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Donna M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
adelaide
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“An impressive sight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Although the parks were still closed because of the government shutdown, we were fortunate that the roads out of Rapid City had been cleared of snow and that we were able to drive past the national memorial to the past presidents. Our driver practically crawled past the memorial, so we were able to view this famous rock sculpture in some detail. This had been one of the primary attractions on our list of US national parks scenic sights, and we were so pleased to have been able to see it.

Visited October 2013
Grayling, Michigan
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Very informative!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Impressive to see and learn how this was created and how they continually maintain it. Nice trail but very, very busy! There is a separate fee even if you have the annual National Parks pass but worth it. To be honest, one of my favorite pics and view of it was before we even entered into the park.

Visited June 2013
Colona, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mt. Rushmore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Awe inspiring views. A national monument that all 9 of us enjoyed, age 8 through 65. Bear Country and Crazy Horse were nice too.

Visited August 2013
Miami Gardens, Florida
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“I now have respect for my jewelry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Went to S Dakota for the buffalo round-up and got stuck when a friend back out on me. So walked to the factory across from my hotel. Got in for the last tour of the day. It was amazing how rings are made from start to fishing. Plus toward the end noticed all the gold on the floor, should have put some glue strips on my shoes couldn't have paid for my trip LOL. The ring Christmas tree was the best. A few days later my tour got to see a video and the walk through made it a lot better.
I also got to hold the silver ring tree. There's lots of jewelry to purchase at good prices but the tour is interesting and free so get a ticket and take it.

Visited September 2013