“Fun way to spend some time”

Black Hills Caverns
Ranked #21 of 70 things to do in Rapid City
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the biggest crystal cave in the Black Hills area and see a variety of rock formations.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Was not as sternuous as we feared, even the 3 year-old kept saying "I'm doing it, I'm doing it." The caverns were not as spectacular as we hoped but the guide had some interesting anecdotes and when he turned out the ights and plunged us into darkness it was scary! W would go back and recommend it as a way to pass teh time. It is not that cold there either.

There are newer reviews for Black Hills Caverns

Reviewed June 29, 2012

This is a small, privately owned cave. It's not far from Rapid City off hwy 44. Most of the formations in this cave are calcite crystal all the way through, so you see a lot of beautiful crystal formations throughout the cave. There are two tours offered, as well as some special spelunking tours. The hour long tour is great, but there are some very steep areas and areas that are very narrow and low, so consider your personal physical limitations before choosing this cave. They also offer gemstone and fossil panning. My 5 year old daughter loved the fossil panning. She found a lot of sharks teeth, coral and snail shells. We hadn't seen anyone offeing fossil panning, so this was unique, pricey, but unique.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Each path was the same look. The tour guide was all of maybe 14 years old. I hit my head a bleed terribly. Tour guide continued the tour and didn't do anything to get me out and get assistance. Friends handed me tissues to apply, I left a puddle of blood and a trial all the way out.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Cavern were good too see, the formation of waters and rock around the caves were very colorful and amazing.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I've been visiting the Black Hills with my family every other year since I was a baby, and I'm 19 years old now. I collected pretty rocks from the hills and the rock shops, so I loved this place. So much unique cool stuff in there. beautiful.