“Travelling with the three bears”
Review of Bear Country USA

Bear Country USA
Ranked #8 of 74 things to do in Rapid City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a leisurely 2-mile drive through this unique North American Wildlife park nestled on 250 acres of Black Hills Beauty. From the comfort of your vehicle view black bears, wolves, elk, buffalo and other wildlife! After your drive-through tour, walk around wildlife loop where young and smaller animals frolic in the outdoors. Don't miss the Baby Bears! Dine at the Cub Grub Snack Shack or shop in the Bear's Den Gift Shop. Open May through November, weather permitting. -- Open for 2017 season on April 8th weather permitting, check our website for more complete dates and hours.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Being able to drive though and see all of the animals up close, many of which one might never see in the wild. The two-month old bear cubs experiencing their first few days out of their dens was a pure delight!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,219)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"walk around"
in 82 reviews

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We saw all of the animals they advertised, extremely close up. The bear population was extremely numerous. Got some great pictures. Then to top it off at the end they have a small zoo setting with a variety of baby animals, including bear cubs. It was one of the highlights of our vacation.

1  Thank MikeEmerson
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We drove through the park on a very hot August day. The animals were hot and inactive, as you can imagine. My Husband and I were unimpressed. That being said, I can see how a family with small children would enjoy this park. We were in a convertible so they let us borrow a minivan, that was nice.

1  Thank Julie C
Bear_Country_1972, Owner at Bear Country USA, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for entering your review, we are glad that you enjoyed one of our courtesy cars.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Awesome!!!! My husband and I went to South Dakota with my parents for our 5th anniversary. They had been here on their honeymoon, 25th and 40th anniversaries and recommended we see it. We arrived shortly after opening on a overcast rainy day, within second of driving through the main gate, a large Elk crossed the road in front of us. I though this would be the highlight--far from it. Every exhibit was well marked and full of animals. Be sure to bring a camera--you can't get photo opportunities like this anywhere--not even in a zoo!!!! The wolves were running everywhere and the bears--my husband would have spent all day watching them!! Baby land was fun too. We arrived planning on spending 30 minutes and left after spending 3 hours here!! Would love to go back again!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We simply LOVED the park. Being a little skeptical I mentioned to the young lady who took our admission fee that "I hoped if we didn't see any bears that they would reimburse part of our money." She smiled and said, "If you don't see any bears just come back and we will give your money back." What a wonderful car based tour through the park... Bears EVERYWHERE- cubs in the trees, adults ambling around and peering through the windows of our car. Such an amazing close up experience and pictures GALORE. There are also many other large and game animals in the park. I usually don't visit the same area twice as there are so many places to see and such little time, but this is a must see the next time I am in the great Northwest.