“not bad”

Shanghai, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not bad”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The atmosphere is good but the food is not as good as some other Chinese restaurant nearby. The food is not bad but a little pricy than some.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank helen_helen_le

South Dakota
“The Phoenix Rises to the Top!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our visit to the Golden Shanghai came as a result of a recommendation and good reviews on TripAdvisor and we were definitely led in the right direction!
This was the best Chinese food I’ve had in a long time although I must qualify that I’d recently moved from Bismarck, ND where I found NO Chinese food really worth mentioning.
The food was good although the Mongolian Beef I ordered (medium spice) had no kick whatsoever but I have a feeling (considering the overall inattentiveness) that this may have fall on our waiter’s shoulders. The dish was also shy on rice noodles but overall the flavor was very good. My dining companion had a chicken shrimp combination that was also quite good. The sauce (garlic) was lacking in flavor but the large and abundant shrimp made up for it. My order came with soup and I ordered the hot and sour which was thicker than most and full of mushrooms and some chicken (a surprise!). The fried eggroll was large and full of flavor.
The menu says to ask if you don’t want MSG which surprised me. With so many people having sensitivities to it, many restaurants just forego it nowadays. We both asked to that it not be in our dishes but considering the headache and unquenchable thirst I had after dinner, I wonder if that request was honored.
Overall I give this place high marks as the atmosphere was pleasant and clean. The food tasted very good and came in plentiful portions which made it an excellent value. I’ll be back…I hear there’s a secret Korean menu!

• Visited July 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Thanks Jerry, you always know how spicy I like my food!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I have been dinning at Golden Phoenix for almost 12 years. It is the best Chinese restaurant in the area and very affordable.

1 Thank migdalia182
“Authentic, Only If You Ask for It”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

They have a big menu given to everyone walking in for lunch, and there is nothing really special on it – same thing as you may find in all other Chinese restaurants. However, after asking for it, they brought me a small menu with only a few things on it. It is written in three languages – Chinese, Korean and English, from which I was able to find something more authentic. Our server was friendly and the foods were fair. My only complain is that, soon as you walk in to the restaurant you smell the old and perhaps greasy carpet. It is a turn off.

• Visited January 2013
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Inexpensive - Average”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Recently my son and I made a trip to Rapid City and stopped for lunch here. The staff at Golden Phoenix are all very nice and the restaurant is clean. The menu has many options and the food always comes out very hot. They offer combination lunch and dinner specials that include soup, egg roll, entree w/fried rice for a very reasonable price. The orange chicken was extra light and crispy with a really flavorful sauce. The eggroll filling needed some attention as it was overpowering with spices. They could have easily skipped the fried wonton on the plate it was an overfried wonton wrapper. I will try this again in the future but order some different appetizers.

• Visited November 2012