“Don't be fooled by the looks and advertising of this B&B”
Review of Summer Creek Inn

Summer Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 Rapid City B&B and Inns
Park Falls, Wisconsin
“Don't be fooled by the looks and advertising of this B&B”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed in B&Bs all over the country and have never had such rude, insulting, snarky inn keepers. This is not a comfortable, welcoming place to stay. Don't be fooled by the amenities advertised on the internet. We paid for the most expensive suite. There was no cell phone signal, though we could get it a few miles away, the inn phone could not place any outgoing calls, and we had to beg three times to get the password for the advertised "high speed wireless internet". The connection was spotty at best. There was no guest refrigerator, guest robes, large shower with body jets and the whirlpool tub so highly advertised was broken. We were told we could use it as a soaking tub. The suite we had was in the blazing sun in the afternoon so we expressed our concern about the air conditioning. The room was never adequately cooled off before nighttime and suddenly at 9:30, was shut off. We asked for a fan and complained about the lack of air conditioning and were told all the fans were being used. We asked for a fan again at about 11:00 and suddenly one was available. Turns out the air for our room was being controlled by a thermostat in the hallway which was set at 84 degrees. If you think air conditioning is defined as opening all the windows and putting a fan in one at 2:00 in the morning, then this place is for you. We were so stressed out by this situation, that we got three hours of sleep. This from a place which promised to "do everything possible to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable". Don't believe it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Winston G
summercreek, Owner at Summer Creek Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We regret that your stay with us was not as pleasant as you had hoped. Please understand that it is our policy to do everything that we can to make all of our guests stay as comfortable as possible and that due to our location in the mountains it can sometimes be a challenge and a frustration to us as well as our guest with spotty cell phone coverage and satellite internet. As a courtesy we do offer our guest access to our land line and allow free in country long distance calls to our guest. It’s unfortunate that during the first day of your stay Century Link our long distance provider was experiencing a state wide outage and no one with that provider in SD could make long distance calls. The heating system in our facility is a multi zoned system and is programmed to keep each guest room at 70 degrees and the hall temperature does not reflect the room temperatures. After you expressed your concerns with the room temp we did contact our heating and cooling company and the system was running 2 degrees off and has been corrected. The fan that was suddenly available at 11:00 was because we had a staff member drive into Rapid City to purchase a fan for your use. As for the guest room and guest amenities it’s apparent from your comments that you were not well advised upon your arrival as to all of the guest amenities available to you, as we do have guest refrigerator, guest microwave and 24 hour coffee and tea bar, we also offer three different types of robes for our guest to choose from. As noted on the website each guest suite has different room amenities and not every suite has a shower with body jets. We have reviewed our website to make sure the amenities for each room are accurate.
Again we regret that you had an unpleasant stay and have discounted your final bill for any inconvenience that you had.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
South Dakota
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Summer Creek Inn is absolutely beautiful! Very luxurious. Having the spa on the premises was very convenient and the massage was amazing. The spa was one of the reasons we decided on this B&B and I am glad we did. Breakfast was delicious. We had pancakes with fresh fruit and a made-from-scratch whipped topping that was to die for. I wish I would have asked for the recipe. I thought that the prices were very reasonable, especially considering how beautiful the accomodations are. It would be nice if they would have some FAQ's or general information about the inn in the rooms in case you have questions as there are no phones in the rooms and there is very poor cell service. The lack of cell service was the only downside for me as I had planned on using my phone to look up things to do on our trip. The last day I was there I realized they had wifi, it would have been convenient if the password was given at check in or in our rooms. Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend to travelers!

Room Tip: From what I saw all rooms were beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent three wonderful nights at the Summer Creek Inn as part of our July 4 road trip to the Black Hills and the Badlands. Nancy and Dan were terrific hosts--warm, welcoming, engaged, and the accommodations were simply stunning. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed, and the breakfasts were delicious. Make Summer Creek Inn your choice for lodging and relaxation while your traveling in that part of South Dakota: you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We loved Suite #1!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aberdeen, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Summer Creek Inn hosted our recent wedding/reception. If I had to give you ONE sentence to describe our time at Summer Creek Inn it would be "We could not have found a better, more beautiful location than Summer Creek Inn." But I have so much more to say than one sentence. At first impression, before even seeing Summer Creek Inn in person, we thought it would be too expensive for everything we wanted for our wedding. It just seemed "too good to come true" for us. In March of this year we took our first trip to visit Summer Creek Inn to work out some of the details of the wedding with Nancy and Dan (owners). At this time they had many inches of snow covering the ground, but it still brought tears to my eyes. Already I could see that the beauty of this place was going to be a huge contribution to our wedding. The wedding was held this past weekend. We had about 90 guests. As my fiance at the time, and our bridal party stood inside watching guests go to the garden to take their seats...the looks on their faces, the complete awe they felt of the beauty of the place was obvious. Nancy and Dan knew just what was needed to make sure this event went off without a hitch. There were no mishaps or problems. The ceremony was beautifully set up in their East garden. The reception was also held at the location on the West side of the grounds. The food! We had MANY guests tell us that they have never had better wedding food. I actually still have family mentioning the food to me... after several days have passed since the wedding. My Husband and I (also some family members) spent about 4 nights at the Inn. I have seen most of the rooms at the inn. Each one is special in their own way. The furniture and fixtures were gorgeous and the decorating and attention to detail left me with my jaw down..often just starring at things. We had breakfast each morning. The breakfast food that they served to us each morning was second to none! We were set for the days ahead of us in the beautiful Black Hills. We enjoyed the breakfast table talks with Dan and Nancy. I never expected that the owners would sit down with us each morning to chat during breakfast. When the time came to pay our bill, Nancy sat down with us to go over every detail of the expenses surrounding the event. I was nervous to see the total to be honest. We had a dollar amount in our head of what to expect from previous conversations we had had with Nancy while planning the wedding. I was telling myself to expect the bill to be a little higher than expected - but it was right on target! No hidden fees, no expenses we didn't agree upon before hand. If you are considering having Summer Creek host your wedding events, you will NOT be disappointed. They care about what you want and will do whatever they can to make sure you are happy with your wedding day. If you are just considering Summer Creek as a weekend get away, you will leave refreshed and ready to face the world again. It's a little piece of heaven.

Jacob and Jessica

Room Tip: Look at the pictures of the suites on Summer Creek's website. Each one is special and has it...
summercreek, Owner at Summer Creek Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
J & J,
Thank you for the glowing review and allowing us to help make your dream wedding a reality.
We are so glad that everything went exactly as you had hoped. Looking forward to your next visit., hopefully before your one year anniversary. Best wishes for your first year of marriage and a happy loving future.
Dan and Nancy
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The house and grounds are immaculate! Rooms were large and comfortable and the breakfast out of this world. What a joy after a day of hiking or site seeing. Black hills of South Dakota are amazing. The Inn is close enough to be convenient but far enough from attractions to be serene.

• Stayed June 2013
Aberdeen, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our first time staying in a B&B and I think we really lucked out! It is beautiful both inside and out. It is so clean and impecabbly maintained! We felt right at home. The breakfast was delicious. Get a massage while you're there, it was one of the best massages I've ever had. The owners, Nancy and Dan are such warm, welcoming people. We highly reccomend Summer Creek Inn!

Broomfield
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was the first B and B experience for me and my husband. Our experience at SummerCreek was outstanding. I am Aim very very very particular about where I stay and this B andB has spoiled me for ever. They met every criteria I have for cleanliness and hospitality. Nancy and Dan are fabulous hosts. The B and B is 11,0000 sq.feet and beautifully decorated and maintained.
If you are looking for outstanding accommodations stop your search and call Summer Creek. The Inn is located in a quiet area in the Black Hills with easy accessibility to all the local attractions and great hiking.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7. I was very comfortable and quiet. They have other rooms with hot tubs. Call nan...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rapid City
K Bar S Lodge
K Bar S Lodge
#1 of 14 in Keystone
Sweetgrass Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Summer Creek Inn? Share your experiences!