“Outstanding facility”

Comfort Suites Hotel & Convention Center Rapid City
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Other than the friendly, professional staff, cleanliness of the room, and the lack of road noise, this is in a nice location if you are going to Mt.Rushmore since it is located on the bypass around Rapid City.

Also, the full breakfast was outstanding. The eating area was maintained by two ladies who couldn't have been friendlier.

The $1.50 charge for the safe rental was the only nagging thing you had to worry about and the staff gladly took it off our bill.

Will definitely plan to stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the safe charge to be removed from your bill
1  Thank rcubed2

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I have family in the area who referred me to several hotels. Caution: don't let them charge you the addt'l $1.50 for the in-room safe (see more below). Upon inquiry the room rate was mid 100's which seemed high for the time of year and the area. The front desk person was a good sales person and very kind, so she dropped the rate a little and I decided to stay. The room furnishings are nice and new. The designer who layed out the room should be fired. You can't watch tv from the lovely sitting area, and the closet is on the wrong end of the room. I would stay here again but not at the rate they command; the amenities were no better than other similar properties in secondary markets. Now, about the safe. You review a room sheet to initial the rate. I put the word "N/A" because I would not use the safe. They still charged me and it cost me time in the morning to have it reversed. There was another man who found the same problem. We encouraged the staff to get rid of the $1.50 as it is NOT worth the ill-will caused to customers. I'm sure her hands are tied by the owners. Finally, the morning breakfast staff were kinda grumpy. I am tired of seeing precooked microwaved eggs and sausage, and prepacked biscuits and poof gravy. Can anyone attempt quality?

1  Thank 1genesis
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I spent 6 days here taking day trips each day to see the area. I liked the location next to the highway but far enough off to be quite. The food and service was consistent during the stay.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We were on a long road trip, with a different hotel every night. This was the only hotel we were going to be staying at for 2 nights. After the previous places, this was fabulous. It had so much room to spread out, a sitting area, a desk, everything one could possibly want. Breakfast was good, etc. There were just a couple of hiccups that I'll mention.

I had reserved a room with 2 queen beds. They decided, for whatever reason, to change this and, instead, put us in a room with a king bed. Thus, we had to troop back down and ask them for our original room. The guy then made it seem like it was our fault, "Are you SURE you asked for two queens?" Of course! He did apologize when I showed him my reservation printout and they were very good about quickly putting us into a room with two queens.

The next day we were gone all day and, upon arrival back at the hotel, found someone else's suitcase in our room. Huh? Clearly the room was occupied with our stuff. We called the front desk and when the gal came to collect the suitcase she said, "I think this happened because you switched rooms." Grrrrr, I responded that I did no such thing, the hotel staff put me in the wrong room to begin with. However, that clearly didn't explain why a hotel employee, seeing that the room was clearly occupied, would leave someone else's suitcase there.

That all being said, I would stay here in a nanosecond again. It was very comfortable and nice.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

This hotel appears to be very new. It was very clean & modern, offered a nice breakfast with cereals, scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles, juices, yogurt, bagels & pastries. Rate was very reasonable, $107 plus tax, which was a room with 2 queen beds, microwave, refrigerator, sofa, chair and table. Staff was very friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Friendly, helpful staff; clean, well appointed; conveniently located; roomy suite; fresh breakfast items; quiet. We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

After a 5,000 mile road trip, this stop was our last sight seeing destination. I was hesitant in booking a room at the Comfort Suites due to past experiences with this chain of hotels. BUT, we were totally blown away - everything about the hotel was fabulous. Great service, great breakfast, wonderful suite with very comfortable beds. For sure you need to pick this location for a night or multiple nights.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends