“Not as good as Advertising”

Fort Hays Chuckwagon Supper & Cowboy Music Show
Ranked #15 of 275 Restaurants in Rapid City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Start your day at Fort Hays Old West Town, site of the Oscar award winning movie set, Dances with Wolves. Walk along our boardwalk and make your own brick, tin plate, gem pan or make a twine lasso rope. There is no admission fee to browse the film set & South Dakota Film Museum. See the original buildings used in this popular Wild West movie. Enjoy All-You-Can-Eat Cowboy Pancakes for 99 cents! Find the perfect souvenior at one of our three unique Gift Shops. Dinner shows are held at Fort Hays mid May through mid October
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Advertising and signs give lots of hype. If you go with what you read, you will be disappointed. We did not go for the supper show, just a noon meal. All there was on the menu, hotdogs, BBQ pork, polish was about it. Price was cheap, for 6 people, $31.59.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family of 5 went to the Chuckwagon Supper and Music Show only, not the other tours. Kids enjoyed seeing the tinsmith and rope maker but don't plan to spend much time seeing the exhibits, such as Dances with Wolves set. There is not much. Dinner is inside on long tables. I was very pleasantly surprised it was cool and there weren't any flies (which were everywhere in SD in July). Dinner included beef, chicken, potato, beans, applesauce, cake, and lemonade/coffee. Food was very good (which I wasn't expecting)! The music show includes some country and oddly Beatles and Elvis, but the musicians were talented. Overall, the dinner and show exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

To start off with we booked the bus tour package. This includes tour, breakfast, dinner and dinner show. Tour was great. The driver was a bit too much for me. The food for breakfast and dinner was good and plenty. The show was great. I would recommend this package to all. I would not take bus 805 again. It was well worth the price.

1  Thank r8humiston
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We only had one day in Rapid City and this was a good way to see many things in a short time. I was glad to have an air conditioned bus and not to worry about parking at the attractions. I am in total agreement with the reviewer that did not care for the jokes about our president. It was not the time or the place. We also got VERY tired of the jokes about the mineral "shist." Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse , Custer State Park are spectacular. We really don't need to be entertained with jokes that middle schoolers find funny. Dinner was nothing special, show was average. I would do it again because of the sites, but might look to see if there are other tour companies available.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Slow moving and constantly trying to sell you stuff. Not horrible but not great. Also not a fan of conservative atmosphere. I don't care for jokes about the president especially around my children, I try to teach my children to be respectful.

1  Thank momoftwosmallboys