Fort Hays Chuckwagon Supper & Cowboy Music Show
Ranked #12 of 277 Restaurants in Rapid City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Start your day at Fort Hays Old West Town, site of the Oscar award winning movie set, Dances with Wolves. Walk along our boardwalk and make your own brick, tin plate, gem pan or make a twine lasso rope. There is no admission fee to browse the film set & South Dakota Film Museum. See the original buildings used in this popular Wild West movie. Enjoy All-You-Can-Eat Cowboy Pancakes for 99 cents! Find the perfect souvenior at one of our three unique Gift Shops. Dinner shows are held at Fort Hays mid May through mid October
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This attraction had everything; maybe too much. It starts at 7:30 a.m. with a pancake breakfast; then you take a bus tour through the Black Hills. You end the day with a chuck wagon dinner and a show. This is more than 12 hours of entertainment. The value is there if you have the stamina.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had an okay visit to Fort Hays. I misunderstood when dinner was going to begin (6:30, not 6:00) so we arrived way too early. There are a few thing to see on the grounds, but not nearly enough to kill an entire hour and a half, in my opinion. Get there between 5:30-5:45 and you'll be fine. Dinner was good - nothing fancy, which we weren't expecting anyway. I really enjoyed the Cowboy Music Show but my kids (7 and 9) weren't as entertained as I was.

2  Thank Sara D
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Okay so when they say 99 cent all you can eat pancakes you expect to pay for the sides, which my family say tasted good, from sausages 2 or biscuit with white gravy, and either coffee, milk or orange or apple juice. The kids got juice and both sausage and biscuits, with the pancakes and my wife got the same with water, I got pancakes with Orange juice but the juice was out so I got the apple juice, as soon as the juice started to pour into a Dixie cup about ounces, it would alternate between water drip juice drip over and over till your cup was filled, at first I thought this was a problem with the machine but when asked the workers stated this was normal so they could get make the juice last longer by watering it down, WOW!!! I thought bars did that, but the total was 23.00 for those 99 cent pancakes and the juice was more water then juice and the kids hated it, but the pancakes were very tasty and if you bring your own drink then you will be okay. The rest of the food I did not try but the wife said the food was good, the piano player was great and I even thought I saw Larry Cable guy! This was not a bad experience but I was disappointed to pay 1.9 for a ounce cup of watered down juice.

1  Thank bobjohnson2016
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Dinner & entertainment in a western town setting. Come early so you have time to visit the shops & watch the artist at work plus some hands on activity.

1  Thank rosepitre
Reviewed June 3, 2013

When we went to Colorado last summer we never made it to a chuck wagon dinner like we had planned, so when I heard about this place my family and I jumped on it. You can line up for dinner at 6:15, but we arrived early so we could walk around their small western town beforehand. The town was very neat! They had different people set up in different parts crafting tinplates, knives and pressing coins. They also had a magician at the front of the dinner hall doing doing magic tricks.

Dinner was fun! It's picnic-style seating, and you have assigned seats. You have to leave your seat to get your food. They serve your dinner on a tin plate, which we thought was neat. You can choose from grilled chicken or barbecue beef, and they offered hot dogs for the kids. Everyone gets the same sides (baked potato, baked beans, applesauce and a biscuit) and a piece of cake for dessert. Everything tasted really good considering the style in which it was made and served. When you finish eating you take your plate and silverware back to the serving area. This didn't bother us at all since we knew this was not a "restaurant-style" meal.

After dinner we were entertained with a variety show. They played several different styles of music, but all the songs were recognizable. My kids (12 and 3) both really enjoyed the show. We would definitely go back on our next trip!!

4  Thank KKccB61607