Open today: 7:00 AM - 8:15 PM
Review Highlights
A step back in time

I visited this venue with my cousin on a family visit. We were raised in south Louisiana and... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
cggraul
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Chuck Wagon Dinner Show

Chuck Wagon Dinner Show was a hit with all four in our party, would definitely recommend. Food was... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Gary M

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Rapid City
from $13.75
from $6.00
from $195.00
More Info
All reviews pancakes chuckwagon dinner baked potato all you can eat tin plate spice cake bbq beef fiddle player beans movie set biscuits long picnic tables talented musicians cowboy music black hills kevin costner chuck wagon supper
Reviewed July 5, 2017

This was such a fun night! I really wanted to go to this dinner and show but wasn't too sure how my family would react to it. I was raised on a farm listening to country music, playing the fiddle (violin), and enjoying my grandpa's Bluegrass playing. My kids have not listened to country music and are "city kids". They all ended up loving the show. There was a good variety of music and a lot of corny jokes that kept us all entertained.

I see a lot of reviews complaining about the method of lining up to get your food and eating at picnic tables. This is a chuckwagon dinner! That is part of the experience. I am pretty sure cowboys on the range did not have servers or silk tablecloths. We enjoyed the whole processs. They were even prepared for parents who needed to carry their child's plate by providing a tray that would hold both plates.

The food was pretty good, not 5 star but, honestly, that was not what I was expecting. It seemed pretty authentic, and we loved the beef brisket. We all commented on what a surprise the chunky applesauce was. Usually applesauce is not anything special, but this was as good as eating an apple pie.

We did not spend a lot of time exploring the rest of the attraction as we didn't get into town in time. We did check out the gift shop, and the kids bought a few little souvenirs.

Clint J, Manager at Fort Hays Old West Town and Dinner Show, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2017

Thanks for the review! This is definitely not fine dining here, we are serving beans on a tin plate.... :O)
As you said, it is all part of the experience that I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed. Thanks for stopping by!

Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

So this was a little unusual for a chuck wagon themed place. First off, you sit on picnic tables, some people have to turn around just to see the stage, we got lucky and sat facing the right direction. Second, you have to get in a long but fast moving line to get your food. Meal itself was good! After done eating you need to bring dishes back to kitchen. There is a server that comes around and gives beverage refills though. OK, so now the meal is over. I'm expecting something western like a shoot out or something along those lines. Instead, it was a concert. It was a REALLY GOOD concert but I was thinking more along the lines of a "show". I thoroughly

enjoyed the concert!! Some younger kids like under 15 will not enjoy this as much.
The singing will knock your socks off. Be prepared for really corny jokes. Hahaha!!

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to see that even though we are not what you thought we were that you still had an amazing evening. Thanks for coming by!

Reviewed July 2, 2017

Since we're "Dances with Wolves" and general movie fans, we enjoyed walking around Fort Hayes. We didn't know what it was until going there, so we weren't prepared to stay for the dinner, but it looked like a great menu and lots of fun.

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed you stay here in the Black Hills.

Reviewed June 30, 2017

We have been to this show before and gave it outstanding reviews. Not this time. Too much standing around time before you enter the theater. Too much sitting in the theater waiting to get your grub. The people we met at our table were super to get to know - that was a plus. When we went through the chow line, per their lengthy instructions, we were told that they had run our of baked potatoes. So just keep the line moving with no apology. Show is not a cowboy show any longer.

Clint J, Manager at Fort Hays Old West Town and Dinner Show, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2017

Thanks for the review. I do apologize that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. We did have a mistake with the food that night and didn't handle it properly. That is the first time we have ran out of potatoes in over 20 years. We didn't handle it properly that night. I have however made some policy changes to help ensure that it won't happen again for another 20 years. My sincere apologies for the mistake we made.
We have indeed changed the show from a strictly cowboy show to a Branson style variety show that covers all genres of music.

I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in the Black Hills and come back again some time.

Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

This was the best part of my trip! Loved the food and the staff were very helpful! The show was very entertaining and even my 4 year old and 17 year both enjoyed! Fun for the whole family

Thanks for the review! That's so great that you all had a wonderful time here.
Thanks for coming to the Black Hills and hopefully you can come back again and see us.
-Safe Travels.