“Great tour great guide”

and up
Mount Rushmore and More Tour
Ranked #8 of 19 Tours in Rapid City
More attraction details
Owner description: Dakota Tours is located at 11750 Sturgis Road in Summerset, SD. We offer premier sightseeing tours, customized tours, nationwide charter service, convention and reunion groups, step-on guides and receptive services. Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park and more. To truly experience the Black Hills, see it with the local experts!
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Spent a very enjoyable day on this tour. We were fortunate that the weather was kind to us as it had been raining steadily the day before. Our driver/guide was very knowledgeable and had an easy manner. Learnt a lot that we would have missed if we had tried to do this on our own. Can definitely recommend. A day well spent.

BHTours, General Manager at Dakota Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2011

Thank you for posting your tour experience! With a new itinerary this year, it is great to hear that your stops at Mt. Rushmore with the Monumental Breakfast, the 1880 Train, Crazy Horse and Custer State Park with Iron Mountain Road were paced well and that you enjoyed Dan's narrative of the area. At least one good thing about the rain, everything is green and lush looking. A beautiful time to come to the Black Hills of South Dakota!

Reviewed January 17, 2011

We visited South Dakota in August of 2010 with our two kids (12 & 15). This tour was great! They picked us up right at our hotel in Rapid City. Then for the next nine ours we sat back and enjoyed the ride. The driver was fantastic and explained everything as we went.

The single complaint I had during the tour was the small portion of buffalo stew that we received during the lunch. Our kids ordered the burgers for just a few dollars more and I wish I would have done the same.

* No driving
* No parking
* Friendly, knowledgeable driver
* Clean bus
* Reasonable price
* Just make sure to order off the menu at lunch.

My family agreed that this was the only way to the sites!

5  Thank lava9611
BHTours, Front Office Manager at Dakota Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2011

Thank you for your comments! We have changed our meal selection in 2011. We will now include the Monumental Breakfast at the Mount Rushmore National Memorial. This will include biscuits & gravy, hash browns, eggs, sausage or bacon with a drink (coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate or a fountain drink). This will give you more time at Mt. Rushmore then travel onto Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Iron Mountain Road and a break prior to boarding the 1880 Train if you would like to grab a drink, snack or meal on your own. Thank you for travelling with us in 2010!

Reviewed September 29, 2009

The overall tour, bus, and driver were excellent. However, it was not until the bus arrived in Keystone that the driver, in response to a rider's question, revealed that the "Needles Highway" was not included in the tour. While not a "deal-breaker" for most, it could be of importance to those with no driving capabilities yet who consider this of high priority in their tours.

1  Thank V626
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Randy was our tour guide for the day, the cost with tax $113.70, for the two of us. NEVER did a bus tour of anything was thoroughly pleased. We were picked up in Keystone at Big Thunder Gold Mine, because it was closer to the B & B where we were staying at 9:00a.m. the rest of the people were already on the bus. We did a quick tour of the Gold Mine 1 hour, then we went to Mt. Rushmore, I don't remember seeing any mention of HOW BEAUTIFYL THE DRIVE IS TO AND FROM MT. RUSHMORE JUST BEAUTIFUL. I was very pleased with Mt. Rushmore wasn't really looking for more than just a quick glance,
to be honest but I was intrigued once I got there, we did the Presidential walk started out nice easy walk turned out to be pretty rough towards the end, I saw some seniors walking it made me feel like a loser, me and my husband ride our mountain bikes about 40 miles per week along with other forms of excercise and it was tough, a good incline, but manageable, you must do this as soon as you exit the bus so you can get back on the bus in time, it is selfish to hold th bus up waiting for you when other things are scheduled. Randy was great he had a lot of trivia questions to keep us entertained, met some neat people, a young girl from Taiwan travelling alone, a bit scary, a couple from Ireland and more. We still had 20 minutes to spare after the Presidential trail excellent pictures. I think we had about 1 1/2 hours at Mt. Rushmore enough time for us, then we went to eat Lunch at a Buffet included in price, decent drinks, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, soda, a few desserts choices, buffalo stew, potato soup, full salad bar included, along with things like fried chicken, mashed potatoes, pasta with meatballs, etc. after that headed to Crazy Horse (YOU MUST SEE THE 20 minute FILM OR YOU WILL BE IGNORANT TO WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT) The film is not boring at all and goes very fast. I am not native american nor do I know anyone who is native american but it was still very informative. I SAW SO MANY NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON CRAZY HORSE PEOPLE CAN BE SO RACIST. OPEN YOUR MINDS AND LEARN THE HISTORY OF SOMETHING BEFORE YOU JUDGE, THAT WAS GREAT. THEN WE HEADED for some scenic touring, the driver actually customized the tour for us. One team wanted to see Sylvan Lake and I wanted to see the Begging Burros, Randy took us by Sylvan Lake and down Needles hwy squeezing us through the tiny tunnels, went to Custer Park, Iron Mountain Road, I wanted him to do Custer Wildlife loop because I REALLY REALLY WANTED TO FEED THE BEGGING BURROS! When I saw him turn the other direction and head up Iron Mtn road I was sad. That was the last thing I wanted to see on our vacation, i was going to leave disappointed! Just as I was about to whine to my husband Randy goes and this is for the couple from Iowa, here are your begging Burros. I looked up toward the front window of the bus, lots of them everywhere. Randy handed me a new box of popcorn and let me feed them, they are very people friendly and do beg for food. All of us girls laughed our heads off as the burros chased us slowly around to try and get the popcorn, it was a blast and what a FINALE to our wonderful Black Hills Vacation. THE BLACK HILLS ARE AMAZING DON'T MISS THIS PLACE.

7  Thank leelabeela