“Best birthday experience ever!”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I am a ghost nut so for my 30th bday my super thoughtful and amazing husband surprised me with a haunted stay in room 812. It was such a fun and spooky stay...best birthday ever! From the amazing dinner and drinks at the exclusive Vertex, the AWESOME haunted tour from Brandon of the haunted spots in the hotel including the basement, to the amazing staff we encountered - Kurt, Kate, and Brandon. We did have our own experiences! The first was when we entered room 812 for the first time to put our bags down and settle in a bit. Taking the advise of Brandon to lift the toilet seat...it did shut 6 times by itself within the first 15 min of us being there but it never fell again the rest of our stay...very strange! Second was when we were on tour down in the basement (which itself was so eerie and very uneasy feeling) near the laundry folding table there was this very strange nook. Out of the whole hotel I felt very anxious and was covered in goose bumps. We kept hearing scratching, footsteps, and other strange things back in the nook but nothing was there.

Overall A++++ stay and experience but I will say that Brandon made it with the haunted tour! Thanks to my husband Aaron and Brandon!

• Stayed: March 2014
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday at our hotel and that the staff took very good care of you. I hope you and your husband can make a return trip in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

What a disappointment. Stayed the 8th of March 2014. Small, Dirty, moldy rooms, Bath rooms were tiny. Windows were broken and could not be opened or shut. Window frames were old and needed attention. We went to the roof top bar which is supposed to something "special".......Gas fire places had numerous cigarette butts in them. The speakers were pounding out disco tunes which made it impossible to talk or enjoy anything.We hated it . HIDDEN FEES, No disclosure of these fees up front and added 12% to our bill, Felt lied too and treated by a very petty management group. CANNOT recommend this place to anyone for any reason. No historic value or interest other than the hype, We were genuinely looking forward to this getaway and were just ripped off by the place. Try the Marriott, Hyatt, or Holiday Inn for a much better experience. Have travelled to many countries in Europe, Asia, and the US, this hotel just struck us as cheap, over hyped, over priced and we left feeling like we had been had. Will not return and will ensure none of our friends and family do either. These EXTRA fees should be investigated by the state consumer advocate.

Room Tip: Do not make a reservation. Chose another hotel. Small rooms, view of nothing
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank frank j
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We want each and every guest that walk through our doors at the Hotel Alex Johnson to have a positive experience and I want to apologize to you for not making this happen with you, As far as the hidden fees that you mentioned, The Destination Fee is a fee charged be the Downtown Business District and not by the hotel. The Historic Maintenance Fee is a voluntary fee we charge to help offset the cost of maintaining the hotel and we do offer many rewards benefits to offset this cost including but not limited to two free drinks at either Paddy' O'Neill's Irish Pub or our Vertex Skybar. These fees are listed on the registration cards that you signed at the time of check in and it should have been explained fully at the time of check in and I apologize if this was missed or not filly explained. I did refund you these charges in full at the time of check out when you expressed your concerns.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Historic hotel! The rooms have been upgraded but some things such as the door knobs are still vintage. The only bad thing is that I have stayed in the same room twice & the heater does not work very well. They say it's haunted but I have not "experienced" anything.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review of your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate your continue patronage and I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at the Alex for two days, thinking it would be a fun change of pace. We frequently stay in Rapid. First off it was expensive at $ 150. per night.( With several undisclosed fees, ie historical preservation fee) The rooms are tiny and they had flaking paint and mold. We were accosted by drunk, antagonist panhandlers in their parking garage. They didn't have towels the for second day. ( They run out??) But the worst thing was breathing air contaminated by the flock of pigeons sitting on all the heat pumps. All of the air coming into the room passes through a crap and dander covered window heat pump. My child and I have allergies, and were miserable. The front desk is aware of the problem, but just shrugs when I asked about it. Big health issue..... Finally it was a huge waste of money, went home sick, and you couldn't pay us to stay there again.

Room Tip: The pictures make it look charming.....it wasn't in person.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Kddyup
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

I want to thank you for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay with us, your comments will help us improve our future guests stay by showing us what areas we need to improve on.

We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our hotel receive the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of the Hotel Alex Johnson and our facilities. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set forth for ourselves and I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about our recent shortcomings concerning your recent stay.

Please accepting my apologies for the experiences that may have caused your visit to the hotel to be less than memorable.

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I will start that the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are nice and clean and even though the bathroom is TINY it is serviceable and clean. But beyond that I would not stay here on a business trip again. Was quoted $59 per night plus tax so I was figuring around $66 or so for a one night stay. When I looked at my bill in the morning I was shocked to see $87.50. Interestingly enough I was charged for the following (without prior notification mind you) amounts: Historic Maintenance $8.95, Marketing Fee $ 1.42 and a Valet fee of $9.43. The desk clerk did remove these charges, but not before me telling him I would never stay there again. There is no where to park so you have to check in and then go park your car in the garage 2 blocks away... So with a valet standing right there I was like "hey here's $5, I've had a long day, please park my car". Again no mention of any of these hidden fees. I believe this would be a nice stay on vacation to see downtown Rapid. But not so for business travelers.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank JABOB1020

Thank you for taking the time to write this review concerning your stay. I'm happy to hear that you thought the hotel was beautiful. As far as your concern with the hidden fees, I want to apologize if the Front Desk staff didn't explain the fees in detail. The Historic Maintenance Fee is listed on the Registration Card that you signed at Check In. This fee helps offset the cost of being a Historic Property and to help offset this fee we do include our Guest Reward Card which entitles our guest 2 free drinks either in Paddy O'Neill's Irish Pub & Grill or Vertex Sky Bar & Restaurant along with numerous other discounts that total over a $125. We do offer free parking at the hotel which is located a block and a half away from the hotel otherwise we do have Valet Parking available for a fee.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have stayed at many fine hotels and this is one I will always remember. Perfection - the hotel itself, the staff, the accommodations, the amenities, I could stay only one evening, but I am looking forward to returning in the spring. Just an amazing experience. I felt very, very special.

Room Tip: I allowed the Desk Reception to choose my room and it was perfect. When I saw the coziness and atmo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. I', very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you make a return visit in the near future,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel is charming and attractive. Updated while still keeping the historical atmosphere. Our room was spotless and comfortable. A little small, but it is an old building, so we didn't mind. The staff was friendly and responsive to our questions about area attractions. We had a great weekend and would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The 8th floor has good views of the city.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cellogirl
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you for your recent stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson and for taking the time to write this review. The Historic Hotel Alex Johnson is a nice blend of historic charm with modern amenities. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope to see you on a return visit in the future.