“Great place to stay in downtown Rapid City”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Madison, WI
“Great place to stay in downtown Rapid City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights during our trip to South Dakota. The location of the hotel was great - within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and street festivals, and only about a 30 minute drive to all the area attractions. The hotel itself is old, but I thought it was very well maintained. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. We arrived at the hotel while a street festival was going on, so we were offered discounted valet service for the night (since it was difficult to get to the parking garage due to the street closures), which was very nice. The valet staff weren't all that prompt, however, which was a bit frustrating. Overall all though, the staff was very friendly and we had a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

if you are looking for a hotel with large rooms this is not for you. If you are looking for a hotel that is clean, comfortable, friendly and with a great location this is the place. From check in to check out everyone could not have been nicer. The location is fantastic. Walking distance to restarurants, shops and major freeways. We totally enjoyed our stay - thanks everyone

1 Thank michelle h
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted with loud patrons at the hotel bar patio. Hard to control that, but it was a first bad impression. Then, hotel elevator smelled like wet dog. Upon arrival into our 2 bedroom family suite, one room was comfortable while the other was about 83 degrees - not pleasant at all especially at 10:30PM at night with two tired kids. The parking deck situation is not ideal by any means. I think they have valet parking but they had already gone home for the night. However, to have nothing other than uncovered parking over a block away was not good. The hotel staff said we could park on the street, but only until 9:30AM. They should have thought about the next day being a holiday (July 4th) and that we could have parked out on the street until anytime we wanted on the 4th. The bathroom was ridiculous. I'm in the remodeling and home building business and whoever remodeled the bathroom should seriously be questioned for their judgment of materials used. They picked some of the cheapest residential fixtures for a commercial application. The fiberglass tub/shower literally felt like you might fall through the center and neither my wife nor I weigh more than 150 lbs. The tub/shower also had this gross brown stain all over the soap dish tray (I should have taken a picture). Something dirty was smudged on the back of the bathroom door, a number of hairs on the floor and by the tub. The countertop materials were some type of cheap laminate that leaned so much I nearly had things roll off it. The tub/shower faucet fixture was coming out of the wall. I mean seriously - a multi-million dollar renovation? Who oversaw it? Who selected the fixtures? Whoever did should not be in that position again for any residential or commercial project. I wouldn't have recommended those cheap materials on anything other than a very low dollar rental house, and I wouldn't have put my name on it. I am sorry to be so harsh, but my wife and I have stayed at a lot of hotels and this one was among the most surprising we have stayed at for all of the reasons above. We always check reviews (like Tripadvisor) before booking and I did so, but somehow I allowed this one to get by me. My bad. This is the first time I've taken the time to write a review - I'd hate to have someone else experience the same without being properly forewarned. For many this hotel may have been fine. If I had been by myself I probably wouldn't have minded. Someone else recently posted good for the younger hip crowd. They are probably right. I would definitely steer clear of the Family Suite at this hotel.

3 Thank Likes_to_travel385
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience about the Hotel Alex Johnson. I have shared your thoughts concerning the quality of some of the fixtures with my Head of Maintenance and he will discuss with his staff what replacement parts they may purchase when repairing a room.
I have shared your comments concerning the bathroom cleanliness with my Head Housekeeper and she will spend extra time with her new staff talking about and showing them the proper way to clean a shower and to double check their work.
Valet is available from 6 am to 12 pm everyday, if they were not out front at the time of your arrival then they were assisting other guests at that time and would have been back momentarily.
We have gone through a multi-million dollar renovation in the last few years but we do have room to improve and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Thank you.
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Oh my,
We arrived into Rapid City mid-evening on July 4th without a reservation. We had a car breakdown so our schedule was completely off.
After trying 18 other hotels we tried the Alex Johnson. One room left. Yes!!!
Great staff at reception. They had just had a room cancelation so we got an excellent deal on the room.
Rooms are very small, but ours was nicely appointed, clean and quiet.
The restroom was so small I could hardly turn around. Nice toiletries.
The place has character and class. The vibe is probably best for a younger clientele.
Our only beef is that there is absolutely NO place to park a vehicle with a trailer for ten blocks. We ended up parking in a local lot which supposedly tickets starting at 6 am. We got back to the car at 7:15 and no ticket yet.

los angeles, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel was great. We arrived late in the evening (10 p.m.) and there was a complimentary shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The staff at the front desk were always helpful and cheerful. The room was small (it IS an old, historic hotel after all) but room enough for two. Comfortable beds, nice view, good working shower and TV. Didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel but were directed to Tally's across the street for a very good breakfast and to the Independent Ale House, also across the street, for the best pizza ever. Hotel also has a wonderful lobby with lots to look at and an adjacent shop for browsing (and buying). The location of the Alex Johnson is perfect for walking to the town square, visiting the president statues on the town corners and although it is a little further, the wonderful Journey Museum.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I am not sure why we chose this hotel, maybe because it was downtown. We arrived early (1pm) and had to park a half block away but went to see if we could check in early after driving 7 hours from Denver. Oh, no! Check-in was 4pm besides a room was not ready. So we inquired about parking. Well they had complimentary parking on the next block on the third (open top) level. We then took the opportunity to visit the Badlands (a must see!) until we were allowed to check in. We parked then struggled down three flights of stairs with suitcases (no elevator) into the rain. Finally we were checked in and asigned a room on the 9th floor. I opened the door and gasped. This very small room had 2 beds and a large armoir that didn't leave much space to manouver. I had never seen a hotel bathroom so small! I could practically shower, brush my teeth and use the toilet at the same time. By the only window in the room was a large tube taped against the window with cardboard and duct tap leading to a standing-on-floor A/C unit. A one cup coffee maker was on a table with two coffee pods, one decaf and one regular. We both drink regular! The next day upon returning to the room, we noticed that the housekeeper didn't do a very good job. e.g. A used coffee pod was still sitting on the table, in the bathroon a wash rag was still hanging in the shower and the soap box (empty) was still on the basin. This hotel is old but has no charm!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sydney G
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I want to apologize for not having a room available for you for a early check in. Our guaranteed check in time is 4:00 pm and if we can accommodate our guest with a earlier check in time we do. However, on this occasion we were unable to do so and I am sorry.
We do have a loading and unloading area in front of the hotel for the convenience of our guest as well as offering Valet parking.
We strive extremely hard to insure that each guest to our hotel receives the highest quality service and products. However we occasionally fall short of this high standard we have set for ourselves and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.
Please accept my apologies for the experiences that may have caused your visit to be less than memorable.
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel is in the middle of the town square, allowing you to walk to most any downtown destination. The hotel itself is historic with very cool features. My kids loved it! They loved all the details from the old elevators to the doorknobs. The family rooms were great for us-seperate rooms connected with a bathroom. You have to keep in mind that this is a very old historic hotel that has undergone a massive renovation. The rooms are not huge, but have plenty of room. Very clean with great views. Comfy beds, comfy air conditioning, comfy robes! They covered every detail. Our room was on the 9th floor by the Presidential suite-where 5 past Presidents have stayed. Just a really good experience. Tally's across the street is great and cheap for breakfast. Make sure to walk the square to see all of the Presidential statues.