“Great stay in Rapid City”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Great stay in Rapid City”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Enjoyed Hotel Alex Johnson. Great location, great rooms, nice desk staff (Laura). Hotel had a lot of charm, the lobby had a fireplace and large leather furniture. Our corner room was large with a very comfortable bed, new HD TV and large chair and desk. Bathroom was a little small due to it being an old hotel, but it was fine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
CHICAGO
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

I didn't know I would be staying at at haunted hotel. Aside from the history it is a very nice hotel. It is about 15 min away from AirPort and in the heart of downtown. Settles beat coffee is located inside the hotel along with an Irish pub. There is a Hardee's up the street and a brewery up the block.

I opted to change rooms due to my own superstitions ; was in room 811. Not much paranormal activity in room 911.

• Stayed May 2013
Columbus,WI
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a historic hotel in the center of the Rapid City entertainment district. The rooms are relatively inexpensive (we payed $65,00 a night through Travelocity) but it's greatest asset is it's location. Directly outside the front door you are greeted by quirky little shops, a movie theater and street performers. Food carts, restaurants and odd little taverns are all within a block. The hotel itself has 2 lounges and a coffee shop. The Irish bar on the 1st floor is a loud and crazy party bar and the Vertex lounge on the roof is more subdued and sophisticated with gas fire pits and beautiful sunset views. (look for the dinosaurs) Not a lot of hotel amenities, no free breakfast or pool but exploring the hotel will keep you busy enough. We were given a printed walking tour guide when we checked in. The rooms in the front of the hotel are loud until the wee hours of the night. Lots of women shouting about how drunk they were. So ask for a room on the back side of the hotel if you plan to do any sleeping. Just keep in mind this is a historic hotel so the rooms are small, bathrooms are small the walls and doors are thin. For a weekend adventure this is a great hotel but not a good choice for an extended stay.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the excitement and noise stay in the front. If you would like a quieter room stay in th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hallsville, Missouri
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My daughter clued me into this hotel from a trip last year. I booked a three day stay for my wife and I via the Choice Hotels website, which offered amazing rates for the dates of April 22nd to the 25th. After researching Trip Advisor and other sites I learned that the AJ is registered with the Historic Hotels of America, a registry I've trusted for wonderful times in other places.
The Alex Johnson is easy to locate from any approach to Rapid City as it is downtown and by far one of the tallest buildings. Built in the 1920's, the grand design of the lobby with German and frontier architecture blend to warm and distinguished feel that let's you know this is THE place to be seen at and stay. The Valet service will grab the front doors for you and is a true bargain to safe keep your car for $10 a day. So many commenters to Trip Advisor complain that free parking is 2 blocks away, but as I said, Valet service is really $10 a day. That is a small price to pay to let this gem spoil you for a while. The check in desk was helpful in explaining all the best the hotel offers in food, drink and spa, and in the meantime upgraded my room selection. My wife and I shamelessly took advantage of all the offers.
The Vertex Lounge and Restaurant on the top level was an interesting departure into art deco and is worthy of a review of it's own. Paddy O'Neill's Pub is full of original wood carved architecture and really attractive drink prices. Seattle's Best jump started our mornings and a couple's massage at AJ's Wicked Salon left us refreshed for the long trip home.
One oft times overlooked feature in fine hotels is the housekeeping staff and they fulfilled every special request I made of them. They had fine form and attitude.
If the manager reads this, my only regret is not shaking your hand.
There is no other place I would stay in Rapid City even if it were free.

Room Tip: Rapid City is a great location to stay from trips to Devil's Tower to Rushmore, to the Badlands.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kawaller
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Alex Johnson. I really appreciate you taken the time to share your experience with our Hotel to your fellow travelers. The Staff at the Historical Hotel Alex Johnson wants to leave a positive impression with each and every guest who walk through our doors, I am glad that we didn't disappoint you!
The Hotel Alex Johnson is the only Historic Hotel in Rapid City and with our Old World Charm and our modern amenities it is the perfect place to call home while you are in the area visiting the many wonderful sights that the Black Hills have to offer.
I hope you can make a return trip back to the Hotel Alex Johnson in the near future so I can shake your hand.
Thank you for making us as your Hotel of choice.
Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Alex Johnson recently on our honeymoon road trip and it was definitely one of the best stays of our entire trip. The hotel is beautiful and the bridal suite was perfect! The staff were so friendly and helpful and we the prices were excellent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a special stay in a unique hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe K
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I always enjoy my stay at the ALEX Johnson. Roof top views, good eats downstairs, very friendly staff,.Everything else is excellent! There is a Seattle's Best coffee shop on site, and a great Irish pub. Fine dining is on roof. Cool artistic alley around corner and Cigar Bar across the way. Cant go wrong way better than staying near an interstate. If you stay get out and enjoy the area, go to the roof, see the alley.

Room Tip: Get a suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kanab, Utah
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Since the first of the year I have found myself having to spend a great deal of time in Rapid City, due to my mother's failing health and eventual demise. I chose to stay at the Alex Johnson Hotel every time I was in town. This hotel has the old-world charm of a historic hotel, plus modern conviences such as a top-knotch restaurant, a great bar, and a Seattle's Best coffee shop. Even given the difficult circumstances of my stays, I can say without hesitation that my experiences with the Alex were among my best hotel stays anywhere, any time. The front desk staff were helpful and accomodating to the influx of family that came to town for the funeral. The valet parking staff was amazing. One young man even had to dig my car out of the snow, and did so with a smile on his face. Bar staff great and welcoming. Housekeeping staff amazing (one even left me a thank you note for leaving a tip). I don't know what training program this hotel uses, but whatever it is, it works. Every single interaction I had with staff left me feeling valued as a guest, not just a customer. I will never stay anywhere else when in Rapid City. Thank you Alex Johnson staff. You should be so proud of your hotel and your level of service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family