“10 year ANNIVERSARY”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our ten year anniversary there at the Alex Johnson and we are so pleased and greatly honored too have stayed in such a historic amenity. I am truly blessed too have such a great ability too visit with great staff stay in such a great room and let me tell ya if you have a honeymoon or an anniversary this is a great place too stay for you get a dozen of red roses, chocolate covered strawberries, a suite, beautiful room with robes too use while you stay. A great bottle of champagne and a great area too be in with all the amenities around the block by the ALEX JOHNSON. I am very pleased and we will be staying there from now on if we stay in Rapid City South Dakota.

Room Tip: Great down town sites and great restaurants and salons everywhere and great shopping boutiques
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just visited this hotel for the first time after it was remodeled a few years ago. The lobby is great and the architecture amazing. Front desk was helpful - Especially the front desk manager Amanda.
The room was really nice. Moved to a junior suite the second night. Very large room overlooking downtown. Would highly recommend it. The XL Jacuzzi tub was a plus. With summer not yet here, the rate was acceptable and in competition with other hotels in the area. They don't have a breakfast, but do have a Seattle's Best Coffee in the lobby area. At check in, the front desk gave us a card for a BOGO in the coffee shop - a nice plus.

If ever we stay again, I will remember to get any snack or drink items at the grocery store before turning in for the night. The hotel does offer "The Market". They have a variety of snacks and drinks. While the selection was nice, the prices were outrageous. $2.50 for a 20oz soft drink, $2.50 for candy items or a small bag of chips. This is fine and well, charge what you'd like - but none of the prices are advertised. Imagine my surprise when going to the desk to purchase something and 2 drinks and 3 snack items were $20 - plus tax. Vending machines aren't available.

Overall a nice stay, but remember your midnight snacks before settling in.

Room Tip: The junior suite we stayed in overlooked St. Joe. Very nice room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elizabethl686
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel! We stayed there for 6 nights and will definitely stay there the next time we are in Rapid City! Excellent staff, excellent service and excellent food! We especially appreciated the doormen who so kindly retrieved our car in a blizzard, they also scraped and deiced the windows! Vertex Skybar was great, it looked and felt like you were in a NYC bar. Thank you to all who work there!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Spent only 1 night in this lovely hotel. I walked in and the lobby was beautiful with an awesome fireplace and fire going. I felt like I was walking to the past. The front desk staff was excellent! On the top floor is the Vertex Skybar - what great food! They also have a lot of really great speciality drinks and the view is outstanding. There is also a cute pub attached called Paddy O'Neils, Lots of fun! The rooms are cleans and spotless- I have to say they are small though and the entire bathroom is the size of a usual shower in most room. It was fine for me but anyone who is overweight would have trouble in this bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your recent stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. The Historic Hotel Alex Johnson has all the modern amenities that today's travelers need along with the Old World Charm that the modern cookie cutter chains lack. I appreciate you choosing the Hotel Alex Johnson and I look forward to your next visit. Thank you!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel for a great price in Rapid City, SD. It is located downtown & the shopping downtown is in walking distance from this hotel. The service we received while staying here was outstanding. Also a must see is the Vertex Skybar located on the top of this hotel; the views up there are amazing, lots of boutiques for great shopping all around the hotel & be sure to go through Art Alley just behind the hotel & see the awesome talent of people who've left their mark on the alley. Good restaurants to eat at within walking distance of the hotel, the Firehouse Brewing Company & Botticelli Restorante. The Rushmore Plaza Civic Center is just a a few blocks from the hotel if you are attending an event at the Civic Center. The parking was the only issue I had with staying here. You have to park in an uncovered parking garage which is a block away, that was a little inconvienent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Lisa P

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Alex Johnson. The Alex Johnson is the only Historic Hotel in Rapid City and with it's convenient downtown location it is close to amazing shopping and dining experiences along with the new Main Street Square.
I appreciate you taking the time to write the review and I hope you can make a return trip to the Alex Johnson and the Black Hills in the near future.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Alex Johnson numerous times during my business trips in Rapid City and I have had an exceptional experience each time. The building has character, historic charm, and an air of elegance; the rooms are comfortable,well-appointed and spotless. The staff is courteous and helpful. A large coffee house one can access from the lobby is a great place to relax or work on your laptop. I highly recommend the Alex Johnson for business travelers like myself who are tired of the same old chain rooms and want to have memorable experiences.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JohnStLouisMO
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on the Hotel Alex Johnson. With our centrally downtown location we are a ideal location to headquarter out of when you are in the Rapid City area for either business or pleasure. The Historic Hotel Alex Johnson has all the modern amenities that today's travelers need along with the Old World Charm that the modern cookie cutter chains lack. I appreciate you choosing the Hotel Alex Johnson and I look forward to your next visit. Thank you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Dear AJ Hotel!!! What a trip we had!!! This was our 1st time to travel to Rapid City and we were traveling for the 1st time with our 3-month old daughter! ...driving to the hotel, we saw it was in a PERFECT location...in walking distance to everything! The character and feel of the hotel was perfect :-)! ...the best part was walking in and being greeted at the front desk by Laura! What treasure and such a beautiful soul with a smile as big as Texas! ...so kind and sweet and made our stay perfect! Our company booked us into a regular room...but given that we had our daughter and we were going to have TONS of people coming up to our room to see her as we were speaking at our company event that was being held there...Laura was so courteous to upgrade us to the next size room! ...she made our trip just perfect!!! Laura is a true asset to the Alex Johnson and definitely exemplary and a role model to all staff in very way! ...food was exception - I believe Nichole was her name in the Skybar! ...just wonderful! ...the whole experience was greatness! So...beautiful hotel - top notch and would highly recommend it to anyone we know going that way! Thanks, guys!!!

~Pam

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CedesBenz
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at the Alex Johnson. We try our best to leave a positive impression to all of our guests that walk through the Alex Johnson's doors and I am glad the staff didn't disappoint. The Alex Johnson is the only Historic Hotel in Rapid City and with its Old World Charm and it's modern amenities it is the perfect place to call home while you are in the area.
I hope we can seve you again in the near future.