“Great value! Super comfy beds!!”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
North Dakota, United States
“Great value! Super comfy beds!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We spent a weekend in Rapid City, the hotel is downtown and sits in a buzzing part of town. The beds were SUPER comfortable! Rooms were a little small but perfect for a couple. I couldnt belive the room we had for such a little price. Only draw back was the parking but if you arrive later in the evening or park a few blocks away its not bad. Loved the historic aspect and they had great customer service!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casey S
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. With our convient downtown location the Hotel Alex Johnson is close to everything that the Black Hills has to offer. We have added valet parking since your last stay to help make our guests stay more comfortable and enjoyable. I hope you make the Hotel Alex Johnson your home away from home the next time you travel to Rapid City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Balaton, mn
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice place to stay, Remodled early 1900's hotel, Great little bar inside with excellent service and very good food. Very comfortable Beds, flat screen tv's. Vintage rooms, but very comfortable. Two drawbacks, I am a light sleeper and the walls are pretty thin. The other being off site parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. With our Old World Charm, conviently downtown location and our modern amenities we are the perfect place to call home while you are in the Black Hills area.
London
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Rapid City is not a big place, but if you stay there overnight, this is a good place. It sits in the centre of the older and more interesting part of town, and has an old world charm to it. Friendly staff, comfortable beds and a very nice rooftop bar made this a very pleasant two nights for me. there is a room on the 7th floor that has hosted a number of presidents over the years,

Room Tip: Rooftop bar is well worth a visit.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RoaringBear
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We are fans of classic hotels, who find the cookie-cutter chain places a bit boring. The Alex Johnson is no Waldorf-Astoria, but it is a fine alternative. The restoration was nicely done, and the lobby area is worth a visit in itself. There is no standard layout of rooms, and you may want to consult with the staff to match your tastes with what they have. We were quite satisfied with the room we stayed in. A real bonus with the Alex Johnson is that when you check in for the night, you don't have to drive to restaurants, shopping, or movies. All of this surrounds the hotel. Why not a rating of 5? We are very tough with hotel ratings, and 5s are only for the very best. Yes it's true, Alfred Hitchcock and the cast and crew for "North by Northwest" stayed here. Bottom line: most unique lodging in Rapid City.

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors. The cranky old elevator is worth the trip. Best rooms for a view are on the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review for the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you taken the time to write about your experience at the Historic Alex Johnson. As you mentioned, The Historic Alex Johnson is centraly located in the beautifully renovated downtown area close to a abundance of shopping and dining options. Thank you for letting us serve you during your recent stay and I hope you make a return trip in the future.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Hotel Alex Johnson dozens of times over the past few years and have an overall GREAT experience there.

Since the remodeling a few years ago, I think the AJ has the most comfortable and cozy rooms in the city, not to mention that special, vintage feeling that exudes from the lobby to the rooms to the pub. Their beds are the most comfortable in town and ALWAYS clean (as opposed to the Adoba EcoHotel, where we found a pair of another guest's undergarments laying behind a little bench in the room...enough said.)

The hospitality at the AJ is unbeatable. We always have positive interactions with the staff and have found Laura (who works at the front desk) especially friendly and helpful. She greets us by name, goes out of her way to accommodate any needs we might have, and has even helped set up a few special moments without hesitation (including a birthday surprise). To us, she is the epitome of Black Hills Hospitality and an example of the friendliness you can expect that the AJ.

The prices in the winter and the off seasons are great but it does tend to get a little pricier (and filled up) during the summer months.

To us, the Hotel Alex Johnson is a little home-away-from-home. Thanks for everything you guys do! You definitely have our business!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent reiew. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at the Historic Alex Johnson and for making us your home-away from-home. I agree that the Alex Johnson is The Place to stay in Rapid City. Thank you again for your patronage.
Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Was quoted $62 for the night. I ended up paying $105! Was never told about historic maintenance fee or the pet charge when I called.

The people in the room next door sounded like they were sitting on my bed talking to me. I listened to them talk till after 1:30 am. We heard every toilet flush, the hair dryer as loud as if I was drying my own hair. Also heard them brush their teeth and tap off their tooth brush. They were up again at 6:00 talking about spread sheets and how their bathroom door would not stay shut. Funny our bathroom had they same problem.
We also got the share dirt with the other prior occupants of the room. They missed all the details like cleaning the hair dryer, the dust on window sills which had been there for some time. Even the counter by the sink in the bathroom was dirty.
When I first got to the room the tv didn't work, I had to wiggle wires on the back to get it to turn on. And then it locked up so someone was sent up to help. The remote control was having some issues. I asked if it needed batteries, he said yes, but I never got new batteries for it.

When I called to complain about all these problems they offered me a free coffee. Seriously? I told them it would take much more than a pot of coffee to keep me awake for the day.

If you like listening to strangers talk all night and can sleep through anything, and don't mind a coating of dirt. Then this is the place for you.

Good points... Bar upstairs had great service, nice view, comfortable bed.

3 Thank Jason B
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our property receives the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of the Alex Johnson. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to our attention.
Nemo, South Dakota
Reviewed December 26, 2012

we have stayed at the Hotel several times and were never told about the valet parking or the so called free parking a block away unless they mean the parking garage two blocks away on the top, uncovered. Christmas weekend my 70 year old husband had to walk to the parking garage up three flights of snow covered stairs in sub-zero weather to get out car.
As usual, our room was less than pristine. Dust everywhere, long black hair on the bathroom floor and I had to take the bed apart and re-make it. It was made so badly, I wasn't sure it had been changed from the last guest.
On the plus side, the Hotel is beautifull, the walk to the garage is wonderfull in the summer, and the young lady working in Seattle's Best Coffee Christmas morning made my day. She was very nice and helpfull.
Will I stay again.......yes, but in the summer and hope the Housekeeping Supervisor acutually does a room check.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I have shared your review with my staff and department heads to help us become stronger from learning from our missteps. We strive extremely hard to insure that each and every guest to our property receives the highest quality service and products, returning home with a very favorable impression of the Alex Johnson. However, on occasion we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves and I appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to bring this to my attention. I hope we meet and exceed your expectations on your next visit.