“We loved Rapid City but would never ever stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson again”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Littleton, New Hampshire
“We loved Rapid City but would never ever stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson again”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Rapid city was great. We stayed at the Hotel Alex Johnson and were terribly disappointed. Our room had a king size bed. The sheets did not fit the beds. The room was small. Had a large dresser with a TV on top of it. No refrigerator or microwave. With the price we paid we were at least expecting those. No room to walk. Could not open the windows. We asked at the front desk if we could pay the $30.00 charge for opening the windows and were yelled at "that is not even an option". Stayed for 12 days. The rug in the hallway was never vacuumed. Our keys never worked. The front desk always blamed it on our cellphones. We didn't have cellphones with us. The bathrooom from above us overflowed into our bathroom. Took management 45 minutes to at least look at the problem and that was after two phone calls. The elevators never worked right. They wanted to charge $9.95 to use the rooftop. The help on the rooftop complained they didn't have any business. Wellllll, cut out the 9.95 and see what happens. It just keeps on going with problems, can't and don't want to list anymore. They have no restaurant availble as advertised.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bek67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed July 21, 2011

From the moment I walked in the door till I left I was treated special at this hotel. At the desk when we came in were Bethany and Amanda which made me feel comfortable right away. Amanda went above and beyond to make sure my stay was pleasant with my having credit card issues. The rooms were clean, the staff was polite and even though the hotel is older then most I have stayed at in the past it is one of the nicest. I will definately stay here each time I come to town and will be back again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ksia31
Omaha, NE
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed there with my husband and 12 year old grand daughter for 3 nights.

I chose the hotel in part because they offered a two bedroom suite which was perfect for us. The suite was two bedrooms and a shared bathroom. No real sitting/living room area as the term Suite would suggest.

I had a real issue with the front desk associate "Mr. Uninterested". He really needs to be retrained. The phone call to the front desk was unanswered & I had to go down to the lobby to ask where a light switch for the bathroom was. He wasn't on the phone but reading a book and his response was "I don't know where the light switches are.. every room is different. Just look around."

Wrong answer & I asked for a different room. After reading a previous review about being charged for a washcloth, I thought it was wise to let them know that there was a hole in our bedspread & multiple stains in room #2. The phone call to the front desk was unanswered & I had to go down to the lobby again. "Mr Uninterested's" response... sorry for the inconvenience... but he never notified housekeeping to get us a clean one... We had that same bedspread for our three day stay. Yuk!

I tried to call the manager, Sam as he seems sincerely interested in customer service, but I was unable to catch him.

The hotel is lovely and the location is outstanding. There were alot of vinatge photos of the huge and happy staff employed at this hotel at it's opening in 1928. Not the case now. Few and far between & not very happy.

The staff ant the rooftop lounge was outstanding, very professional and eager to please. It's a shame the one lone natsy employee can reallly affect a hotel. Mr. uninterested really needs to be aware of his negative effect on custmers!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bink51
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The Hotel Alex Johnson is located in the middle of the small town Rapid City (South-Dakota), you can notice this huge ancient building from a far distance. We loved the wonderful native art decoration, very warm and creative, especially in the huge reception hall. The rooms are a bit small but everything is clean. Our main problem was that we couldn't have a breakfast (only sandwiches and donuts) and the hotel has no restaurants for dinner, they point at the varied choice in the area around the hotel. I enjoyed the hotel pub with some delicious beers (like Indian Pale Ale) from American micro breweries. And I have thrown a lot of coins in the jukebox that delivered a great selection of Classic Rock hit singles. The staff were nice and helpfull, it's certainly worth to spend one or more nights in this hotel if you like native indian art atmosphere (my wife was delighted about the native indian art shop in the hotel with wonderful jewelry), that's the big plus of the Hotel Alex Johnson.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neuteboom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2011

i was so appalled by management that i had to post. this is my 1st post on any hotel or resort ever. traveling on buisness and pleasure to both coast and everywhere in between, i never felt more compelled to post something till now.

1st off. working and traveling on the road over 100 nights a year gives you a certian idea of what to expect. haveing previously work in the hotel industry for 10 years kinda rounds it out.

after 4 nights of camping in the black hills, i felt a splurge was in order. looking for a decent hotel with fresh linen and our own bathroom. after 2 hours of searching for normally something that would take me no more than 15 min. to find i figured we would head straight to the buisness area being sunday night.

regular chain hotels normally in the 100 dollar range were asking and getting double that. this was just before the 4th of july which is historically a slow week.

the location of this hotel is excellent. rapid city is a delightfull oasis just before the foothills of the black hills.

already knowing i was going to be hit with a premuin rate, i thought i would at least check it out as a walk-in. the night manager stated they indeed had rooms avalible and proceeded take down all my information. when we got to room type i was told they only had 4 suites avalible. no kings rooms or anything else.

in the my past experience, normally the 1st thing out of innkeepers mouth is that i only have suites, knowing full well they are normally the highest rate. being a little put off that i just spent all that time giving him all my information, i asked if that was all they had which he then offered us the only other room that was not a suite but a double double, para-normal room that was the exact price of the suite.

thats it. i then notice they are part of a chain that i have over 80'000
points in and i have to use up. i asked if i could use that for which he stated he had no idea how that worked and i would have to call it in.

leaving the lobby (a bit kinda underwelled by his offers) i proceeded to the wonderfull attached bar with out door seating and called the hotel carrier. she informed me that they indeed had a room that i could use my points and booked a reservation that was beyond cancellation period being 10pm now.

walking right back in with my confirmation number. i met the exact same staff and re-presented all the information. i was given a room key and off i went. when i got to my room, it was a tiny, tiny room with a queen bed and tiny private bath attached to a hallway. no luggage closet or even space to put out suitaces.

heading right back to the front desk to inquire about the room not being a suite, the manager stated that that was a suite. haveing clarified my idea of a suite was grossly different from his, i asked why i was not offered that room before? i was told this was the para-normal room which i then reminded him was supposed to be a double double.

after that i was given the honey moon suite. BONUS, im in heaven.
this was a SUITE, and free too boot. next to the presidentail suite whitch has housed 4 standing presidents. awsome!

this would of been the end of our story.

10:30 at night, jacuzzi tub, 72" plazma screen, huge king bed with 6 pillows.

but no they could just get over that i remebered rooms avalible and the fact that i got it free.

being a platinum member of Choice hotels normally you are allowed some upgrades and extra privilages and normally get a late check out.

the next day after getting in so late and being in the honeymoon suite we requested a late check out. no sir, the room and hotel is completely booked. an extra half hour is all we can spare. really the honeymoon suite! monday! and this is not vegas! really!

at 1130 the next day i started to take out our bags. my girlfriend waited in the room for me. going back for the rest of my luggage when i got back ion the elevator i realized i left my room key card in the room and the elevator would not let me up with out it.

informing the front desk of my delema, i was informed they could not give me one with out my id. i have no problem with this and requested someone just buzz me in the elevator then. i was informed that there was no one avalible to take me up nor just key the elevator. haveing also left my phone up there i was unable to just call her to come back down.

after searching the lobby for house phone with no results i asked to call up please. No again. finally after 20 min. the desk clerk give me a key after awnsering a few security questions.

we are now completely out (12 noon), i turn in the keys and request a reciept. i am them told by the day manager, im not allowed one cuz i used my points and then proceed's to lecture me on the key policy and that i abused the late check out they so graciuosly allowed us. please, all this infront of guests checking for rooms.

we loved the town so much we stayed, rode our bikes, shoped, ate and before you know it it was night. loading up our bikes and before heading out , i looked up at our room and notice its was totally dark. the entire top floor of suites.

i know for a fact that our drapes did not close. it would be almost mathamaticayl implausable that every room occuided, or not, would be totally stark black. booked solid in my view is totaly different in theres.

the hotel certainly has charm and the city has tons of it. but the staff at this hotel needs (as other people have posted beside us) an education on customer service.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We were on a 2 week cross country tour from S. Florida and heading to Mt. Rushmore on day 7 of our trip. After a horrible first night stay at the Econo Lodge in Chattanooga on Ringgold Rd. (exit 1), and then a great stay at The Atlantis Hotel in Wisconsin Dells, then days with family, we set out for Mt. Rushmore. We were also on the hunt for great micro breweries so we found Rapid City, SD, which was close to Mt. Rushmore. I looked online for hotels in the area and prices and decided to go to the Alex Johnson Hotel to check rooms before booking. The room was FANTASTIC and so far has been the best room on our trip and the price was only $89, which was less expensive than the Super 8 Motel near Mt. Rushmore. It was clean, we had a semi connected room via bathroom for our kids so they felt they had their own room. Paul the Assistant Manager was a gem and very helpful. Parking was free a couple of blocks away, but easy walking distance with plenty of stores, restaurants and a movie theater for $4 pp across the street. We would go back and stay for a week it was so great. They also had great micro-brew beer on draft for $4 a pint. They had a spa connected and great gift shop area too. Thanks for a great stay at a great price with a friendly smile.

Room Tip: The Alex Johnson Hotel Rapid City is a 5 star hotel with a 3 star price
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TruthBeTold2011
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed July 6, 2011

LOVED LOVED LOVED this hotel. So glad we decided to stop in Rapid City. I love old hotels and this one takes the cake. The lobby is a show stopper:) Our room was fantastic. Newly renovated. Lovely old charm decor. The bed was heavenly:) The sheets crisp and clean. Bath towels fluffy and the BEST complimentary "Bath and Body" toiletries.Be sure to go to the top floor and view the old city of Rapid City. Quenticential Charm. Given the chance...we will be back!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple