“Great place in downtown Rapid City”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Ames, Iowa
“Great place in downtown Rapid City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was the first time we'd stayed in Rapid City, and arrived just after a thunderstorm. I'd read about others' experiences with the parking, etc. so felt prepared to ask the right questions if topics weren't addressed when we checked in. Sheila at the front desk made us feel right at home, and check-in (and all the answers we needed) was smooth and easy.

Try Firehouse Brewing Company just down the block and across the street.

If our travels bring us this way again, we definitely will consider staying at The Hotel Alex Johnson. Maybe next time we'll try the new rooftop bar.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shoyer1458

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Pierre, South Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

Two total elevators. One closed for repair. One broke down during our stay. We were traveling w 3 kids age 4 and under. We had to climb stairs to 9th floor carrying 3 kids, collect our belongings, then carry kids and belongings back down. When we complained to management and requested a discount, management was incredibly rude, lied about elevator condition, and refused to help. We will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not book here
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank FamilytravelerSd
Burlingame, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

Positives:
The lobby of the hotel was cool with an old-word feel. The downtown location was perfect. I had accidentally booked a handicapped room through the hotel website, which was a very strange, unappealing room with a strange layout. The front desk person was accomodating and helped us to switch to a different room. Seattle's Best Coffee in the lobby had tasty drinks and there are also great local coffee shops nearby. We didn't order room service but we absolutely loved our breakfast at the restaurant across the street that provides the room service (Tally's Silver Spoon).

Negatives:
The rooms were surprisingly run-down and dated. As soon as we checked in to the new room I smelled something bad... we determined that it was coming from the bedspread. It smelled like milk or something had been spilled on it. The shower was old and small and the shower curtain was hung too close so that you are constantly touching the wet curtain. The housekeeping service was just weird- used coffee mugs not replaced, shampoo but no conditioner the first 2 days, then after I buy some, the conditioner shows up. There was a dirty storage closet right outside our room - the door was often left gaping open and there was trash on the floor, including a creepy looking latex glove. For 2 days we walked over something spilled on the marble part of the hallway - I kept wondering if it was a stain. Finally, on the 3rd day I couldn't stand it - I tried to wipe it off and sure enough it came right up. It was coffee or chocolate ice cream or something. Truly, I am not a clean freak - this was a very large spill.

The rooftop bar was advertised to be opening memorial day weekend but it was not open yet when we arrived.

I don't think I would stay there again unless I could get a really great deal (we paid a little over $100 a night). I guess if you're not expecting too much, the location might make it worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler072410
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at Alex Johnson with my grandparents and younger cousin. I booked this place for its historical appeal knowing that it would please the grandparents. What I didn't know was that we would be so well treated by the staff and that the rooms would be lovely and clean with beds that all four of us raved about in the morning.

I would like to give a special shout out to the gift shop staff and their amazing powers of pleasing my grandmother. Wow! I was so impressed. Just saying they were friendly cannot describe the abilities of these people. The gentlemen clerk shook my grandpa's hand giving him about every ounce of respect possible. The lady clerk was cheerful and just darn pleasant. I wanted to take her home and make her be my sister! lol My grandmother spent the most at that gift shop than any other visited during the whole trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Very nice historic hotel. Room was a bit cramped but very clean. Service was average. Great Irish pub located within the hotel with awesome service. The hotel has a rooftop bar which I heard was nice but there is a dress code and entrance fee required to get in.

• Stayed June 2011
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here Memorial Day weekend so we could have access to the Black Hills and the local attractions. Rapid City is a nice small city and looks like it has been made over in the last few years, with new curbing, walkways, trees and lighting. You can stay further out near I-90 in the newer shopping district areas at the chain hotels/motor inns, where you are near fast food restaurants and you need a car to do anything and everything. Instead, we chose to be in the city and liked that the hotel was in the heart of downtown. You’ll see near-life-size statues of US presidents everywhere -- they picked up on the Mount Rushmore theme, evidently. From the hotel, we could walk to some gift shops, most notably Prairie Edge, a block away, which sells quality goods as well as fine art from local artisans. There’s a good and large gift shop in the lobby of the hotel. And we dined at Botticelli, around the corner, very good. Also ate at Ixtaca, about a block away, which was "OK".

The hotel lobby is a charming blend of lodge/Native American motif. Our room was on the 8th floor and we found that using the elevator was annoyingly frustrating. First, using the hotel cart for your luggage totally fills either of the two small elevators. Two adults and the cart FILL the elevator, very awkward. Then, to go either up or down, you MUST use your room key card immediately as you enter the elevator or your card then is useless. You must use it to go DOWN as well, but be fast or it will go to whatever floor someone else wants instead. When you’ve driven 10+ hours, struggling to get a cart into the elevator and figuring out how to fiddle with key cards is no fun. The carts should be half the size they are.

Our room was fine, bed comfortable and the room was quiet. But it needed more electrical outlets. They had a power strip on one side of the room but not the other. So forget charging up your cell phone, PC, etc. if that’s your side. The hotel provides free wireless, nice. Also, they had only ONE bath towel for the two of us, which we didn’t discover until we went to take our showers the next morning. VERY inconvenient, though the front desk rushed a second towel up to us. And the bath mat for the bathroom floor looked like it was falling apart and should have been retired months ago, which struck us as shabby. The plumbing was kind of odd but hey, it’s an older building.

You can get breakfast room service from the coffee/lunch shop on the first floor of the hotel but the menu is very limited: bagel, or a breakfast sandwich. They were fine but if you’re feeling like eggs or pancakes, you’ll have to go elsewhere. There’s also a pub but we did not partake.

BTW, if you are a vegetarian, Rapid City and most of South Dakota is a tough place to be, given the preponderance of angus beef cattle that you see on your drive there and which is served everywhere. You can do only so many grilled cheese sandwiches, so finding Botticelli and Ixtaca was a relief.

Parking is a block away but that didn’t bother us.

The staff was cordial and helpful. We’d like to stay downtown again but may like to explore other options next time.

Room Tip: Ask for extra towels before you go to your room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KateShrewsbury
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I was really disappointed with my stay at Alex Johnson. We ended up getting a suite, with an adjoining bathroom. For $600.00 for 2 nights, you would think we'd have better service. I first noticed that there was no soap, wash clothes, and toilet paper.I called down to the desk, and they asked me to come get. I told them no, and they did have someone deliver. When it came time to take a shower, there was hair in the shower, the curtain was stained, and the floor was dirty. I called the front desk again, and they asked if I wanted to switch rooms. I declined since we were ready to go to bed, and i knew they would separate are rooms. We also had to call about the tvs, which both weren't working. they told us to wiggle some wires in the back. For the money we paid, you would think the bedspread and chairs, wouldn't have stains. They did make an effort to clean our room the next day, but we were past the point of being forgiving. I've stayed at cleaner motels, than this place. i will not be back!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family