“Better then oilfield motels.”

Travelodge Rapid City
Ranked #39 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The room was sort of old, but fairly clean. It was dingy. The bed was somewhat comfortable. The whole place is just average. But I would stay again because the staff was friendly. The price was high, but it is tourist season. Overall, not great, but not an oilfield dump that I am used to.

• Stayed: June 2013
BWTC, General Manager at Travelodge Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. The hotel is an older property. It was built in 1960, but has been renovated periodically. This fall we will be undergoing an extensive renovation, and I am sure you will be pleased with the results, once completed. I hope you will consider staying with us again so you can see the improvements that have been made.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Staff helpful and friendly! Expensive for amenities provided.
In a two night stay the only cleaning done in our room was trash baskets were emptied. Website states shuttle service available. Pick up at airport seamless and no charge. Horrified when asked at return to airport for a $30 fee! Never, ever have I had to pay one way and not another! A heads up would have been nice.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to respond on Trip Advisor. It is our goal to exceed our customer's expectations, and I am sorry that you did not receive that type of service. Thank you for your comments about the shuttle. I can understand your frustration about paying the additional money. I am looking at making changes to our current policy of only paying for one way service. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We were on a road trip and stayed only one night in this location. It advertised everything was close but nothing was. We had to drive everywhere. The room was old clean. I asked for a reduction in cost but was ignored. Balcony was dirty with someone's left over cigarette and drink and cigarette holds in chairs for a non smoking room. Cracked toilet seat which holds germs. Light bulbs missing.
Breakfast outside of coffee was non existent for a diabetic

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I have brought your concerns about the cleanliness of your room to the attention of our head housekeeper. She has spoken to her staff about the problems you observed. We offer donuts, apples, oranges, coffee and tea in the lobby for those who are not interested in purchasing coupons for the Colonial House Restautant, adjacent to the hotel, at a minimal charge. I apologize if you were not offered this option. I do hope you will consider staying with us again, so that we may be given the opportunity to meet or exceed your expectations.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This property has a good location for Rushmore and other attractions. The place seemed clean and staff friendly. Two issues: the A/C in our room was set into the wall above the bed and seemed set up to direct cold air right down on us as we slept. I couldn't adjust the vents, they were broken. We had to set on 'fan' and were uncomfortable most of the night. Side issue- we were awakened at 4AM by garbage people picking up dumpsters next door and just dropping them on concrete. Not the motel's fault. The other issue was the free breakfast, it was pathetic. We got there at 7:30 and all they had were mini donuts. They did have coffee and tea as well as juice but nothing hot, certainly not like we were expecting for this property. We had to buy breakfast after we left.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your room was not as comforable as it should have been.. Some of the rooms do have the the A/C set in the wall above the bed, while others have the A/C unit under the window or in the back wall. The A/C in these rooms will not blow on you when you are sleeping. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to meet or exceed you expectations.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel itself was OK, one of the reason I had booked this hotel was because it advertised it had an airport shuttle bus, it turns out you can only use it once per stay, when I asked for the bus to return me to the airport the next morning I was charged $30. I also booked my room to include breakfast, We got a $5 voucher each for breakfast in the restaurant next door, $5 barely bought us a coffee each. The breakfast was very good by the way

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at our Best Western. I am pleased that you found the rooms clean and comfortable. I am sorry that you were not informed about the shuttle policy. We do pay one way, either into the hotel or departing from the hotel. I know how frustrating it can be when you are charged for something you think is the hotel's responsibility. We were, in no means trying to rip you off. I do hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The room was clean and quite a reasonable size but was rather noisy. This was more of a motel than a hotel. We were boked for free breakfast but a rather grumpy young female receptionist told us the vouchers for breakfast costing upto 5 dollars were available for 2 dollars and would not budge. My husband went back and another member of staff gave him the vouchers free. The same young woman was being grumpy with another customer at the time!

Breakfast was very reasonable at the onsite diner, run independantly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and with the service you received. I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Colonial House. It is voted the #1 restaurant in Rapid City, and the food is excellent.. I do hope you will consider staying with us again, so that we may have another opportunity to meet or exceed your expectations.