“Couldn't have been more helpful”

Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have been more helpful”
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We flew into Rapid City regional airport, and took the free shuttle to the hotel. The driver from the hotel was a friendly guy.

Our welcome at the hotel reception, was genuinely friendly, and helpful.
We had booked 1 room in advance, but needed another, which was not a problem, and were allocated rooms close together.

Our baggage was delayed, and the hotel took care of it when it arrived finally.

The restaurant in the hotel served good evening meals, breakfast was OK.

The hotel van will drop you off in the City Limits, however, the main street is only a 10 minute walk.

The hotel itself is very nice, with a light and airy feel about the place.

• Liked — Free in-room wired internet access
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Cheyenne, WY
Reviewed May 16, 2008

My flight from Denver to Rapid City came in as the airport was closing down for the night. I called the hotel while I was waiting for the baggage to arrange for the shuttle to come get me. The manager said his driver had gone home for the night but that he would come and pick me up. Sure enough the manager showed up at the airport with the shuttle to take me to the hotel. Once there he upgraded me to a suite and assisted me with my bags up to my room (i had a huge trade show booth with me) without me asking for help. The next afternoon, upon my return from the trade show the same manager took my booth up to my room for me and made an excellent dinner reccomendation. It may not sound like a big deal but traveling by myself with huge oversized bags and long exhausting days the extra politness and willingness to help just made my stay a lot less stressful. Thank you Dave Heard.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a week. A professional organization of which I am a member decided to have our annual conference in Rapid City. From the minute I arrived the hotel staff was wonderful. I had read about the view on the upper floors and asked for a room there. They were able to offer this and each morning I watched the sun rise over the Black Hills -- spectacular!

I needed to arrange a luncheon for part of the group. I called before the conference. Even though the dining room was not officially open during the time we wanted to meet, they made all the arrangements at no charge and arranged for extra staff to be on hand.

I ran out of mouthwash and didn't have time to go find a place to purchase more. Someone in the hotel went out and bought it for me. Where would you find this kind of service!

The hotel is a short walk to the downtown historic area and almost next door to an interesting museum. Everything is very reasonable in the area. There are several places to eat in the downtown area. The hotel restaurant is very nice too.

The hotel staff was gracious. Being in a hotel on business for a week can get tiring but this was a great experience.

In addition, I fell in love with South Dakota. If you ever go there for a conference, be sure to add on a couple of days to visit Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore as well as drive around and delight in the natural beauty of this region.

• Liked — a great value
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I booked this hotel because the reviews on the internet indicated that it was a good place to stay. Guess you shouldn't believe everything that you read on the internet.

Good aspects of this hotel include the hotel had good access to all of the local attractions & major roads. However; concerns with this hotel include:
* Our first room was smoked in. Our second room had some bad odours.
* Hotel cleaning staff walked into our room without first knocking on the door.
* Swimming pool was very cold.
* We were not rewarded our full amount of priority club points for our stay.
* rooms are expensive compared to other hotels in Rapid City.

After several days my wife and I decided to camp in the blackhills rather than stay an extra night at the Holiday Inn... Camping was much more enjoyable.

• Liked — Site Location
  • Disliked — Hotel Staff walked into our room without knocking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We stayed here for three nights in October. The room was very spacious and the beds were comfortable. Be prepared to be impressed when you walk in as there is a very nice fountain and the glass elevators (not so good if you have a fear of heights) are fun to look at.

We enjoyed our stay and the only problem we had was that our floors were a little dirty around the beds and we found a pizza crust under the TV stand. We let the management know and they took care of the mess. So, other than that, we enjoyed our stay!

• Liked — The poshness of it all.
  • Disliked — More attention to details in cleanliness was needed.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Saskatoon
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We visited the Rapid City area for a few days and the Holiday Inn was a great place to stay. Check in was quick despite the fact that the hotel was full and we found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and cleaned very well each day. The restaurant served a great breakfast but the service was very slow. Our only complaint is that the pool water is frigid and there never seemed to be any towels around.

• Liked — Large rooms and great service
  • Disliked — Cold pool water
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Lodi, California
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I got a really good rate on the Holiday Inn website for $63 a night during a three-night stay. That is why I chose this place. The hotel is defintely an older hotel, but it was clean a spacious. The pool area always seemed to be a little crowded and pets are allowed. There is a nice little lounge with about 6 slot machines and a coffee shop down in the lobby. Also an onsite restaurant which we didn't get to try. The room had kind of a musty smell. Hotel is located next to a park with a small alke that offers fishing.
The hotel is located in an older area of town and is a few miles from the newer area along interstate 90. It is centrally located to the attractions of the Black Hills and the Badlands though.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The musty smell and the slow and spotty internet
  • Stayed May 2007