“This is a Holiday Inn, Really?”

Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Rapid City, South Dakota
“This is a Holiday Inn, Really?”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is one of the nicest holiday inns I have ever seen. It has a really great atmosphere. "The Grille," the hotel's restaurant is known locally for its great food, and it is located very near the civic center and close enough to down town to walk in the summer. I would recommend this place to any visitor to our city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side have a better view of the Black Hills
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lostlanternoa
HotelGMRapidCity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and great recommendation. We really appreciate your review.

Sherry Beck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

From the desk clerks (Ally and the rest) to the shuttle driver and the manager - and every other employee I encountered, they were the friendliest and most helpful group of Holiday Inn employees that I have ever met. My room was immaculate and spacious and the rest of the hotel very well kept, the food was very good, the amenities were plentiful, and the service was outstanding. The only downside I encountered was at the time of my stay there was only one elevator working (the other was down for maintenance) and it was during a busy weekend. I recommend this hotel and I will definitely stay there again if and when I return to Rapid City.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TDM1621
HotelGMRapidCity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for the review titled "Very Nice Hotel". We appreciate your business and your kind remarks. I have passed along your comments to the entire team. It is reviews such as yours that continue to motive and inspire great service. We look forward to your return.

Anywhere,USA
Reviewed March 23, 2013

First off, the place is dull. I know they did some remodelingin recent years, but still feels dark inside.

Elevators are slow.

Rooms are average at best. Bathrooms feel old.

When you are in the dead of winter in Rapid City, and the wind is blowing, spending $150 a night for a room and then having walk what feels like a city block to your car in the lot (because they don't have enough up-front parking and no ramp.)

Having the bar downstairs is nice.

Hot-tub next to the pool was super gross. Had so much foam from chemical imbalances and probably people doing who knows what, you couldn't use it. Super gross. Floors around pool had not been cleaned in what one could only guess was the last 6 months...who knows...but again, very gross floors. Pool was super cold.

Did not have much interaction with the staff, but I can tell you that they did not say Hi to you when you walked in the front doors each day.

I remember when this place was built. It has never been a high-end hotel. Oh sure, it has a glass elevator and some super cheap waterfalls. But, it has never lived up to what it should be.

Restaurant has also always been sub-bar.

I just can't figure out this place. They are guaranteed business by being next to the Civic Center, but they just don't seem to care...or don't have the money to.

I sure hope they do a significant remodel of this hotel if the Civic Center gets their new addition approved.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MisterFeedback
Dear MisterFeedback,

I want to personally apologize for your disappointment with our hotel. You can be confident that we will follow up on your concerns to ensure that others are not disappointed in the same way. We appreciate your making the effort to share your experience with us and hope you will stay with us again.

Sutherland, Nebraska
Reviewed March 20, 2013

With the exception of only one elevator working, our stay at the Holiday Inn Rushmore Plaza was very pleasant. The sleeping room was spacious and clean, and the meeting rooms were very convenient. The convention staff took care of all of our needs, and graciously helped with all of the special requests we made. They definitely went over and above in making our meeting a success. The hotel is located just north of the downtown area, adjacent to the Convention Center and across the street from the Journey Museum. Directly to the south is the park along Rapid Creek with walking trails, a pond and lots of grassy area. The lounge onsite has a good selection of craft beers (a plus in my book), and the restaurant serves up an excellent menu.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotelGMRapidCity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel. We appreciate your business and your review. I apologize for the inconvenience of having only one operational elevator. We are in the final stages of upgrading our elevators to ensure a faster and more energy efficient product. Thank you for your patience and I hope to see you again very soon.

Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I would definitely stay at this hotel again! Great service, immaculate rooms and great accommodations. The staff was always helpful. The property is well kept and location was great. It was easy to navigate the city and get to the highways.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HotelGMRapidCity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for being a guest at our hotel. We appreciate your business and your kind remarks. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms were clean and modern, but I expect that from every hotel I stay in.

The restaurant was very reasonably priced with excellent food. The lounge also had nice ambiance and well-mixed cocktails.

But the place where this hotel really shines is people.

Tawana and Savanna were delightfully charming with a perfect blend of professionalism and cordiality. It's obvious that the staff at RPHI take their jobs seriously and enjoy working with each other. It's rare these days to see a staff so committed to providing such high quality customer service.

I'm already looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the service you received from Twana and Savannah. We take great pride in servicing our guests. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Aurelia, Iowa
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel through hotwire on my smartphone due to inclement weather. I paid for the room through the website and was later charged a second time through the hotel in error, one call to Stephanie and everything was sorted out and credited back to my account. Mistakes happen, it's how you remedy them that matter. Which is why I gave 5 stars all around to this hotel. Beautiful place too!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Matthew8487
HotelGMRapidCity, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for your great message about Stephany quickly fixing an error in billing. We appreciate the great review and look forward to serving you again.