“Nice accommodations in the heart of Rapid City”

Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed May 25, 2012

A group of co-workers and I spent the night in Rapid City before flying out the next day. Compared to where we'd been, this hotel seemed like the Ritz. Even so, we all agreed that for the price, it'd be hard to beat the location and amenities. Check in was fast and the rooms were spacious and well appointed. As a Priority Club member I was given a free drink coupon to use at the bar on the night we arrived; which appeared to be well patronized, even for the short time we sat there. Our group also used the shuttle service to take us downtown for dinner the evening we arrived. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone needing a place to stay in Rapid City. Its far enough from the interstate to be away from the noise/rush, but still relatively close to everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south or west side so you can see the hills.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

997 - 1,003 of 1,113 reviews

Reviewed May 24, 2012

This could and should be great - it has an impressive fountain style middle with rooms above and serviced by glass lifts BUT everything is shabby. Not dirty but not sparkling clean and it lets the hotel down. There were hairs all over our room which suggests the vaccuum cleaners don't work very well but the linen was clean.
Staff were pleasant and it's a good base for exploring the area.
Would we stay again is our acid test and sadly the answer is "No."

Room Tip: Try a high floor suite but beware - the horel is not quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Dear PortsmouthLegaleagle,

It is disappointing to hear you choose not to stay with us again, as it sounds like you enjoyed your stay and out staff. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I'm a little past "middle age" so I find I am invisible to alot of hotel staff...however...not here! I stayed here while on a business trip. Luggage was lost by the airline but they dropped it at the hotel about 7 PM. The night manager brought it directly to my room. I recently had ankle surgery and was using a cane. When the manager saw I was using a cane and I told him my ankle was hurting he said I should put ice on it. He brought a big plastic bag filled with crush ice and wrapped in a towel for me to place on my ankle. Amazing! I never received service at a hotel like that before. I told the front desk staff about it and they just smiled and said , "that's Big Dave, our manager. He really cares about everyone and is a great example to us.". They hit it on the head. Customer service and caring for guests is an example that can be learned by staff when they see what their manager "do". Will always stay at this hotel when I go to Rapid City. Oh, and they have this great wine selection in the gift shop so if you are staying a couple days, it's a nice opportunity to taste some local wine. Again, best hotel staff (everyone I came in contact with) in the 10 years I have been working on the road!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times and my most recent stay this week was another pleasant experience. The front desk staff are helpful and polite and an excellent resource for restaurants, travel routes, shopping recommendations, etc. The room was clean, as always. The restaurant in the hotel has a limited menu but the food is excellent and presented well. Service is polite and effiecient.
I have to pass along another compliment to the hotel from this stay. I accidently left my personal pillow in the room when I checked out. I need this pillow for a painful neck problem. I called the hotel when I got home and was told the pillow had been found and it would be mailed to me and the shipping would be charged to the credit card they had on file. I had my pillow within 3 days. Thank you to one and all. We will be back again in August.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed two nights in a Plaza suite. The room is huge, clean, the furnitures, carpets and bathroom look very tired, it's high time for a revamp. The Plaza suite lack cabinets and closets, although there are enough spaces for them. the furniture and curtains are badly stained and worn. The exterior looks as if the hotel is new, but in fact, the interior is badly in need of a face lifting.
The atrium setting is nice, the glass elevators look good. The breakfast buffet has few choices, I prefer to order "a la carte". Plenty of parking, free wireless internet (can get slow at times). Great place to stay because of the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Maximilliane,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you enjoyed the location of our hotel as well as our atrium lobby. We are deeply sorry you found your room conditions were less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel was clean and the staff was awesome. We had a great stay. A big thank you to Sherri. She treated us like family.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here this week. Generally nice looking facility with very friendly and welcoming front desk staff - among the best I've seen. I'd goes down from there.

The water tempature in my room was too hot so when they couldn't fix it they moved me into a two room suit. Good - however, then they missed cleaning the room two days in a row after I called the front desk. Finally the third night I called and insisted.

They came quickly and did an excellent job cleaning the room..... except they forgot the soap - I discovered it the next morning and bathed with hair shampoo.

The carpet in the room was worn and dirty, the bathroom is dated and the grout needs cleaning, and their wifi worked only intermittently last night.

The refrigerator was nice as was the microwave - but there were not enough outlets. I'll only stay here if there are no other choices in the area. Too bad because the place has potential - just poor attention to detail and follow through.

I must say the engineer that came to repair the plumbing was prompt and efficient and helped me move to the suit - impressive in an otherwise bad situation.

• Stayed: April 2012