“great places”
Review of Ramkota Hotel

Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Pierre
Reviewed October 13, 2013

It's a good hotel, has a bar/restaurant good Sunday buffet with senior discount if your 50 and older. Beds alittle hard, electricity went out for about 6 hours Saturday morning, so cold showers, but all and all ok. River within walking distance, Capital not far, a short drive to see the dam, and if you like to fish, it's one of the best fishing areas.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julie E
rickmurray, Owner at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your comments about your stay. I would like to apologize for the power outage. Otherwise, I am glad you enioyed your stay. The walking path along the river is very scenic and the capitol building is beautiful.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed on 9/13 - 9/14/2013. Our Check-In went somewhat smooth, but the clerk-gentleman was not very friendly... fastest check-in I've ever been in...all of 3 minutes. Not friendly and didn't want to answer any questions or be bothered. Our room was pool-side, Nice, comfortable, clean and quiet. It was the morning that the problems started. We woke to dim lights in our room, called the front desk, asked to have maintenance come look at the light, Desk Clerk told us the WHOLE CITY was without electricity. ME: WHAT???? "What happened?" Clerk: "Don't know and don't know how long! We are operating on our generator at the moment and hopefully not to long!" ME: Ok, thanks. About 10 minutes goes by and all of a sudden... COMPLETE DARKNESS... I am with 4 disabled/handicap adult ladies, who I needed to administer meds and get them ready for our day, Not an easy task IN THE DARK! and keep them calm! We proceeded to get dressed and ready to leave but 2 1/2 HOURS LATER, due to no lights...complete darkness... feeling our way and using my cell phone to light my way as best I could, we are now behind on our daily vacation schedule... ugh! I looked out into the hallway. Other guests were in panic mode wondering what is happening and why NO LIGHTS AT ALL! NO ONE FROM THE MOTEL IN SIGHT OR CAME AROUND TO LET US & OTHER GUESTS KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!! I finally went to the front desk for some answers and what I found when I got there was REALLY DISTURBING TO ME! All of the cleaning crew, laying around the lobby, in chairs, on the stairs and floor, just doing nothing and the clerk at the front desk couldn't even answer anyone's questions. Guests are wondering how long, what is going on and no one could answer any of them. I really was upset! Not only because we had to fumble through the dark, but that NO ONE FROM THE MOTEL COULD OR WAS EVEN ASSISTING ANY OF THE GUESTS! I would think the workers, instead of laying around the lobby area, could have been walking around the motel, knocking on guests doors and explaining what was going on and they should have been offering assistance in any way... WITH A POSSIBLE FLASH LIGHT OR ANYTHING! This was NOT HANDLED properly at all!!! We have asked for a refund from this motel and have still not received anything to this date of 9/29/13. Which the front desk clerk said "We will be happy to offer a FULL REFUND for your inconvenience". This was a BAD START to our vacation, but I was determined not to let it get us down and wreck our day. I would not recommend this motel to anyone! They OBVIOUSLY are not equipped to handle a crisis and heaven forbid, if this would have been a REAL SERIOUS WORLD CRISIS GOING ON... I would NOT have wanted to be in this motel at the time. We were on our way out of our room with bags in hand to leave, and we came upon 2 gentlemen/electricians, who had FLASHLIGHTS in hand and told us that 2 fuses had blown in the main breaker board and their generator had also went down and were fixing things as quickly as possible... they offered help to shine our way and also took our bags out to our car! Out of the whole motel chain of people/workers... it took the electricians, who just happened upon us, to offer assistance in any way at all! BAD MANAGEMENT AND TRAINING I'd say!

Room Tip: Book a POOL-SIDE room so you will have any form of light if a crisis arises at this motel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Daisyflower2
rickmurray, Owner at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your response and please let me start by apologizing for not handling this situation better. If you email me your adress I will make sure you receive a full refund. This should have been handled immediately. Again, on behalf of my staff and myself I truely apologize for not handling the situation better.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

As we were coming into Pierre from the west we came across the river bridge and the hotel was directly in front of us. Probably our easiest search for a trip hotel ever. The hotel staff was very friendly, the king room was spacious and comfortable. We were on the ground floor. Our room had one door into the hall and another one to outside so it was very convenient for walking our dog. We had a great dinner in the hotel restaurant and breakfast buffet on Sun morning. Our only problem was that we got a bit lost getting back to our room after dinner :-). We were just traveling through and would have liked to enjoy walking along the river but it got dark before we had a chance. We would definitely stay here if we are in the Pierre area again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The walking path along the river is very scenic. We will work on our signage through the building.
General manager

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a nice location and really a nice building, not your typical boxy architecture. We were a little confused about where this place was, or how to get to our room but we were pleasantly surprised to have a ground floor room with access to the outside for our dogs. We ate in the restaurant and since we had been eating turkey sandwiches and burgers our entire trip, we felt like the fettuccine Alfredo was a good choice and boy, it really hit the spot! Our server, Candace, was very friendly and I would have liked to visit with her a lot more than I did. I would have given this place a rating of 5, except it was SO humid in our room. We had the AC on and the carpet was damp. I thought maybe it was because they had recently shampooed the carpet but it was so humid that even unopened packs of gum in my purse were falling apart. I don't necessarily think this was the fault of the hotel or staff....it was exceptionally hot for the entire previous couple of weeks and it may have been due to the weather. I would think the AC would have helped with this? At any rate, we had a good night's sleep and I absolutely appreciate hotels that allow dogs!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
rickmurray, Owner at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your reponse. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your compliments on to the chef, Candace and the rest of the staff. We did have some hot and humid days with heat indexes in the hundreds. We will check our Air conditioners in the rooms with outside entrances. The outside entrances make it easier to take care of pets. I have three labs and if we take them when we travel it makes it easier.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Although the room was quiet and comfortable, we were unable to use the whirlpool. We filled it up and turned on the jets...black pieces (mildew?) started floating around in the water. Also noticed the caulking was disgusting! Peeling off and black colored. This was definitely a 2 star room. Noticed cracks, miss-matched painting, wall/ceiling peeling, etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the whirlpool being closed in the pool area. We had a motor go out. I will have housekeeping go through all the room whirlpools and run a disinfectant through the jets. Again, please accept our apology.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was close to the Missouri, so it was scenic for a morning walk after a great breakfast. Service in the dining room was good, as was the food. There were no problems checking-in or checking-out. The room was fine, but the bathroom could have been cleaner. The room was quiet which was surprising since the hotel is located on a highway. Signage for the hotel could have better. All in all, it was a good stay for me. My brother and his wife also stayed there. She has some mobility problems, but was unable to get a first floor room since the hotel was so busy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
rickmurray, Owner at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear 1Magenta,
Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments on to the front desk, kitchen staff and the restaurant staff. I will speak with the housekeeper to pay more attention to the bathroom.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I grew up in Pierre and have stayed here a lot over the years. My husband and I stayed with our two little girls over a weekend. I really enjoyed our stay. Our room was all updated with granite countertops and nice beds. The wing we stayed in was nice. It was quiet until 3/4 AM and all our fishing neighbors went out for a tournament. It still wasn't that loud. I'm a mom so I wake up with slight noises. I really like this hotel. We rarely eat here though. Just our preference with little kids.

• Stayed: June 2013
rickmurray, Owner at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the staff.
Rick Murray

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pierre
ClubHouse Hotel & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Pierre/Fort Pierre - Conference Center
Governor's Inn - Pierre
Governor's Inn - Pierre
#5 of 10 in Pierre

Been to Ramkota Hotel? Share your experiences!