“Simple but clean and affordable”

Governor's Inn - Pierre
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Pierre
Watertown
“Simple but clean and affordable”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed here a few times now and enjoy the quiet, clean rooms at a very affordable price. There is a pool and continental breakfast, which when you are traveling with kids is a necessity.

We return to this hotel every time we are in the area and plan to again this weekend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write.
We are a simple place and a locally owned and independent hotel. We work hard to give the guest the best for the money.
We have just installed water saving devices on showers and faucetts to help the environment and stay with our green plan.

Talk to you next time your in town
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I and her brother and his wife had a good experience ... We were there for a fishing trip and the guide booked us into the Governor's Inn ... We had a great trip and caught our limit etc. ... the hotel was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful, including freezing and storing our fish ... The cleaning staff was extremely friendly ... Room was clean, had great AC and nice TV. Great rate too! I don't review restaurant or room service here because we didn't use those services, but i can't imagine they don't measure up as all the other services do ... We would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay and everything went well, so glad we could help with your lost and found items. I will pass your comments on to the rest of the staff they appreciate knowing what they do is noticed.
I know you did well fishing and hope you will come back next year. Walleye fishing has been great on Lake Oahe and the Missouri river.
Thanks again

Owner/GM
Kearney, NE
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Governor's Inn was recommended to us as the best place for your money in Pierre. We agree whole heartedly. We have stayed there several times when "just passing through." Clean, comfortable, spacious rooms at an excellent price. Friendly, helpful staff and a delicious free breakfast. The Belgium Waffles and Biscuits and Gravy really hit the spot. Cable TV is good and the Free WiFi works very well. Also, really appreciated the in-room coffee. Will definitely stay again when traveling in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thanks for staying with us. And thanks for noticing all the hard work that our housekeepers do nobodys perfect but they keep trying.
We do have a pretty good breakfast and get a lot of good comments on it.
We are working on some improvements for this fall by combining some rooms into bigger rooms more of a family room.

Thanks again and see you next time.
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Standing Company custom-manufactures The Superstand Standing Wheelchair in Saginaw, Michigan. Subsequently, I travel nearly 80,000 miles a year showing our standing wheelchair to hospitals, vocational rehabs, VA hospitals, and actual chair-users. On my first trip to Pierre (pronounced PEER, just in case you go there sometime!), South Dakota, my only CLC option was The Governor's Inn. While The Governor's Inn is somewhat old, and plain-looking on the outside, I found it just the opposite on the inside.

I learned through my two-night stay that John (co-owner) had worked in the hotel business for over 20 years, and finally can use that expertise as an owner. John and all of his employees were quick to smile, quick to answer my questions, and very polite. As a frequent traveler, that kind of personal style goes a long with me. The room was spartan but clean.
Comfortable recliner chair plus an excellent cable tv package that includes Turner Classic Movies and ME-TV (Memorable Entertainment Television) made it hard for me to try and do work at night. Good shower pressure and lots of towels. The continental breakfast was well presented and attended to by employees. Another employee came by to offer a free newspaper.

Lots of stuff to do in the immediate area, and the staff was good at explaining local happenings. A beautiful river walk (along the Missouri River) is just across the street, and there a good local dining options (i.e. like prime rib? Head to the Cattleman's Club, a few miles east of Pierre, for a juicy and monster-sized entree).

For my (our company's) money, The Governors Inn is a real good deal.

Raymond Maczik, VP
The Standing Company
Saginaw, MI

Room Tip: Ask for John the owner. He is very accommodating.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Raymond M
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Hi Ray
Thanks for the great review I hope your sales efforts went well and i will pass that info on to others that chair looks like a great product and should be very usefull.
My staff has always been very helpfull and willing to talk to people, meeting new people, talking and taking care of people is what they like to do.

Thanks
Owner/ gm
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very friendly staff greeted us when we checked in and made us comfortable. The hot breakfast was awesome! Something for everyone-even picky kiddos! Very clean, nice pool, close to attractions, updated kitchen and conference rooms. I have stayed for business and my family has joined me there for the weekend too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
It's always a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us. We have worked on several new projects like flat screen tv's, some new beds and bedspreads. Always working on improving things and making the guest exprience better.
Thanks and see you next time.
Owner/Gm
Garretson, South Dakota
Reviewed June 20, 2013

When ever in Pierre, SD we stay at the Governor's Inn. The staff is always friendly and very helpful with things to do in Pierre.

Breakfast is above average and the rooms are nice and clean.
We always have a great stay when we go there.

Room Tip: Suites are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PIERREGOVINN, Owner at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thanks for noticing that our breakfast is better then avg with biscuits and gravy and waffles and several other items. And that the housekeepers work so hard to keep things clean. I will share your comments with the staff.
Thanks
Owner and GM
Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently started staying overnight in Pierre once every two weeks. When I searched for a Corporate Lodging hotel, this is the only one shown, so it is where I stayed.

The first thing I noticed when walking into the room was a green pillow with a stain that looked like male bodily fluid. Then when I opened the drapes, I noticed how dirty the tops of the drapes were. Obviously, attention to detail is severely lacking here.

On my second overnight trip to Pierre (today), I didn't make a reservation. They have "VACANCY" on their reader board and the parking lot was empty last time, so I didn't think anything of it.

Unfortunately, when I arrived, I was greeted by a rude front desk agent who informed me that they have no rooms available. This was AFTER confirming that I was "in town on business" and "only for one night". i.e. "We don't have a room available for YOU." She said there is a 4-H BB gun event going on?! *See the provided photo of what their parking lot apparently looks like when they are "full".

I thought I was S.O.L since (I thought) this is the only CLC hotel in town. I decided to call CLC to find out where the closest town with an approved hotel was, and they informed me that The River Lodge (directly across the street) is a CLC hotel. They called and confirmed that they had a room available, and I just checked in.

This place is MUCH nicer. I will be staying here from now on, and I would suggest the same to all other CLC folks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Brian P
PIERREGOVINN, Manager at Governor's Inn - Pierre, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for bring these housekeeping items to our attention and they have been taken care of.
We had a busy weekend and it changed all day long, we would be full one hour and have a open room the next. We didn't turn you away just for the fun of it, the parking lot may have been empty at the time but they were here.
We had some soccer, national guard and 4-h shooting sports all great groups.

Sorry about the way things went down.

GM