“Great little spot!”

Prairie Homestead Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Philip
More attraction details
Owner description: Original dirt-sod dug out home and outbuildings built in 1909 by Ed and Alice Brown on their 160 acre claim. Experience farm life as the pioneers did. Dress up as a pioneer if you'd like as you step back to homestead days. Live farm animals and rare white prairie dogs entertain. Video in visitor center. Audio history in sod dug out home.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Magnolia, Arkansas
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great little spot!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

This is a great little spot to stop. They have dress up clothes for the kids and it's very well maintained. Because you are walking through a period homestead you really get a feel for the harsh nature of life on the prairie.

2 Thank Lfferg

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Time Stands Still, in beauty and hardship.”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Visiting this historic homestead was like stepping directly into another era. Simplicity and hardship were side by side everywhere one looked. Feelings of serenity, strength and being grounded. This site really brings home what so many went through to settle the plains and the west.
After 3 hours touring the Badlands, we were tired and almost didn't stop here. We were on a cross-country road trip and were far behind schedule. SO glad we visited. It's one of the highlights of our entire journey!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank aspenglow24
Prairie Village, Kansas
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Loved this Stop!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We decided to check out this site on our way into Badlands National Park. We skipped most of the video, but our family donned the prairie clothes that are available for every age and gender. We even got our 13 year old girls to put on the prairie outfits. Our photos outside of the 1908 homestead look like something out of a Laura Ingalls Wilder novel/TV show!

Our kids (ages 13 and 6) all enjoyed seeing what life was like for these hearty homesteaders. I can't remember the exact fee, but it seemed rather nomial given what it likely costs to maintain this historic treasurer and the nice accompanying visitor's center.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Michael B
Philip, South Dakota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A fun way to learn some South Dakota history!”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I grew up near the Prairie Homestead and so glad I did! It's a great place to show kids some history of South Dakota. South Dakota was developed by farmers and ranchers so our history is so much different than in the east. There weren't trees to build fancy houses and most of the farmers and ranchers didn't have the money to bring in expensive lumber. These people were survivors and found a way to house their families with the resources they had on hand--sod.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Diana T
Vallejo, California
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“So glad I included this site in my travels”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

What I loved about this site:
The historic presentation via video and that you could also use your phone to hear an indepth description of the homestead, or just read a paper copy, as you visited the various buildings and display items. I also thought it was wonderful that free clothing was provided if you wanted to dress the part, as you toured the site. Unfortunately we didn't, but deep down I wanted too. I loved the white prairie dogs--unusual and sooooo cute. I also was touched by the hard life these homesteaders lead. The land was so poor that the 160 acres that was given as land grants could only feed 8 cows. Add crop failures, grass hoppers, and the Great Depression and life was not pretty for these "sodbusters", who built their homes and outbuildings by digging into dirt mounds. You can learn more about this site by visiting it in person---you won't be disappointed. It was even more touching to me, as I have an old photo of my grandmother sitting outside a one room wooden shack with my mom on her knee. It made me appreciate all the blessings I have, which I sometimes take for granted. Please note, this home was added onto, as the owner found the means to do so. The original section has a dirt floor and is divided into a sleeping area and kitchen.

Visited September 2011