“Unexpectedly nice in middle of nowhere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murdo
LandMARK Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Murdo B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Landmark Country Inn is in Murdo, SD. Murdo is about an hour's drive from the Badlands and doesn't have much to it. The Inn is easy to find and just off the highway. It is a very pleasant little place with a great and informative owner who sincerely tries to meet any need you may have. The decor of the place is "vintage", with the rooms having a 1970s feel. The place was very clean and quiet. There is a pool and an outdoor play area for kids. There is also a nice breakfast in the dining room in the morning. Overall we had a great stay and I would stay there again anytime. It's a great place to begin your day if you are driving through South Dakota. There is an 1880s Town about 15 minutes away and from there you can head to the Badlands and then to Wall, SD. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Melissa F
There are newer reviews for LandMARK Country Inn

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Okay....yes, this place was clean. Yes, Mark was very pleasant. Yes, there was continental breakfast. Yes, the rooms were very cheap.

Ummm...I guess I'm used to more modern decor. I was traveling my siblings and we got the last room available which was a 2 bedroom "suite". I don't think any of us have seen decor like that in....30 years. It was quite a sight to see.

The breakfast was bread for toast and some store bought muffins. There was coffee and apple juice as well.

The pool area was very clean and if we had time, I'm sure it would have been nice to take a swim. There are bathingsuits you can "borrow" though if you forgot yours.

Overall review....it was clean, gave us a place to sleep and a cup of coffee to get going. I did give it good ratings because:

Service - yes, it was excellent service
Value - It was $65/night.
Sleep Quality - it was a bed to sleep on.
Cleanliness - It was incredibly clean.
Location - Decent
Rooms - What can I say?? They were 1970's rooms.
Swimming Pool - it was clean and looked nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank kartrite
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My father and I were looking for a place to stay in Murdo. We drove through town, and then crossed the highway to check out the landMARK, as we had seen large signs advertising a indoor pool kept at 90 degrees. Even from the outside, this motel looked very nice and unique. We were greeted by Mark, who was by far the friendliest person we had encountered on our entire road trip through the Dakotas. He took time explaining everything to us, showing us pictures of the rooms, even giving us extra towels for the pool. We stayed in an upstairs room that was immaculate. Cleanest motel room of any I have ever stayed in. Beautifully and tastefully decorated. Microwave and fridge. TV was a bit outdated, but that was insignificant in comparison. We actually decided to stay there two nights, it was so nice and we had the time. The pool the first night was a little cool, but still swimmable. Mark explained that the propane man was on his way, and he actually did pull up when we were just about finished swimming. The second night the temperature was much warmer, I'd say over 90 degrees. It was pretty cool outside though, so it made the walk back to the room not so bad. The continental breakfast in the breakfast/arcade/antiques room was pretty basic. English muffins, two kinds of breads, bagels. Two kinds of cream cheese kept on ice. An assortment of donuts, donut holes, muffins, and other pastries. Apple juice, coffee. The second night we moved to a room on the first floor as my father has difficulty with stairs. This room was set up identically was the one upstairs and was also very nicely decorated. The motel was pretty full the second night, but we heard no noise coming from the outside or other rooms. My only semi-complaint that might make this more of a 4 or 4.5 star, would be the mattresses. They are advertised as pillow top, but that's a bit misleading. My mattress the first night was uneven on one side, so I lifted the sheets to look, and the mattress was a typical older cheap motel thin mattress with a layer or so of yellow foam over it. Our mattresses the second night were the same. I don't think the foam helped at all, and the beds were pretty uncomfortable for both of us. But all in all, with all the extras and detailed thought put into this place, I would highly, highly recommend it. Oh almost forgot, it was also the second least expensive room of our 8 night trip. Excellent value! If we ever make it back to this area, we will definitely come right back here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank eos790
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Older two story hotel that is well maintained. Room entry is from the outside. The pool and grounds had pride in ownership. We were on the second floor "Asian" room which had lots of space and was clean. The pool was large, warm and deep. The continental breakfast was basic and the WiFi was sketchy. Overall a good clean quiet hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank heamars
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have never reviewed a motel before, but had to leave one for the landMARK. We hit bad weather before Murdo, and decided to stop for the night. The owner showed me pictures of themed rooms available, and I thought the price would be over 150.00 for sure... they were half that... unbelievable!.. It was a very nice, clean motel and after a very hard long day of driving, our 7 year old twins loved the pool and the playground... we ate outside on the picnic tables next to the playground... perfect... Good breakfast spread... it was exactly what we needed. I can't say enough good things about this place... Four star motel for a two star price....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel has it all! They have thought of every detail that a traveller is looking for. Our rooms and the property were pristine immaculate. We had the pleasure and the honor to meet the Matriarch and her son Mark. We felt like we we're guests at a friends house. We will definetly stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Prankstermary1
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this Inn. Our room was very clean and comfortable, the manager was very nice and helpful and they had great rates! I would definately visit again and would have no reservations about recommending this to a friend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple