“Not what it used to be”
Review of Range Country

Range Country
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Murdo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I previously reviewed this property as "perhaps the best of the few options in this small town." I'm not so sure about this any longer.

This used to be a Days Inn property; it's now independent. What's happened that would cause me to lower my previous ranking significantly?

Things just seem older. Our room seemed tired this time. Nothing disastrous, just . . . tired. Wi-fi was allegedly present. My kids picked it up eventually on their laptops; my iPad never picked up the wi-fi signal. And my kids got booted off after a short while. There was a wired connection available at the desk in the room. Wired -- really? Let me rephrase that: there was an ethernet jack at the desk in the room; please supply your own ethernet cord. But the card in the room said, "Most rooms have wi-fi." In this day and age, a strong wi-fi signal pretty much is a necessity, don't you think?

My daughter killed an ant on the bed. Now, we all know that tiny insects get into our homes, our offices, our cars . . . but somehow, we expect our hotel rooms to be free of these nuisances. There's just a visceral reaction that isn't favorable. Couple that with my experience in the middle of the night, when I woke to the sensation of something crawling on my arm. I brushed it away, and felt that it was small and relatively hard -- it may well have been another ant. (It wasn't something lightweight, like a spider or mosquito.)

The A/C units (there were two) worked fine. They're loud, and this is apparent because one was in the wall right beside the beds. We turned it off, and turned the other one up to a higher speed. That kept the room reasonably comfortable in decent South Dakota summer temps -- not boiling and humid (as it can be!), but still a bit more than "warm."

And the bathroom was, as others have said, on the smaller side.

The biggest drawback was the incredibly strong smell of smoke down one wing, right off the lobby area. (The ice machine on the premises was just a few steps down this hallway, and the smell was enough to make me gag slightly.) Now, when one member of the family has asthma, and the other is so sensitive to smoke as to be almost allergic, this is a major concern. I don't recall this from previous stays here.

What's still good about the place? The room (we had a room with two queen beds) was large; there was enough room to move around without four adults bumping into each other. The mattress was decent. The pillows almost never are, so that's not a strike, in my book. Breakfast was free, and decent -- a small selection of fruit, cold cereals, hot egg patties, coffee, milk, and juice, and toast/muffins/pastries. It's easy to get to, and the people are friendly.

You don't have many choices in Murdo, and it seems like it's a halfway point for lots of folks. If you don't expect a lot, and don't have to have internet connections, this might still be a good place. Just look at your other options, too.

Room Tip: There are both motel- and hotel-style wings; if you're sensitive to smoke, ask for one of the bu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Traveling in South Dakota is rough! You go so far in between exits. So we found this gem. Man! Places around here are pretty rough and old but this place is awesome! Rustic lodge atmosphere! The rooms are huge! Super clean...and I am a cleanliness snob. Cowboy theme, wild west breakfast nook. Indoor pool and spa, breakfast, guest laundry and oh man the service was just great! So friendly and helpful. Next time we head out west Range Country will be one of our stops! Do not hesitate to steer away from chain hotels to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank TLRoo
Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you like a rustic, old time South Dakota cowboy atmosphere, the Range Country is for you. Clean rooms, nice small pool (which I had to myself at 8 am, bonus), pretty lobby setting for the small hot breakfast included in the price...it's all very relaxing and pleasant -- especially if you don't mind various taxidermy gazing down at you while you eat. We thought it was entertaining and kitschy.

The owner of the property lives on the premises, which we found comforting. We were told that the renovation of the place was a dream of his, and it shows in the detail...right down to the cowboy decor, bedspreads and draperies. Fun.

They had the right idea of including a hard wired power strip, which was attached to the side of the desk. Bummer, though...ours didn't work. But no big deal, since we always pack one of our own.

The air conditioning unit's compressor is pretty loud when it kicks on, and the silence can deafen you when it turns off, but hey, it worked well and blew plenty cold.

Excellent diversion in the South Dakota hills. Recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a nice play to stay. It was very clean and comfortable and they have warm cookies. A good place to stay for the night. Nothing fancy but a good value. They is a decent breakfast with healthy options.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent 1 night at this motel while working in the area. The night before I was at the Best Western across the street (which is OK if all you need is a clean place to sleep and shower) but I needed more space and a desk with good lighting to work on to I moved over to the "Range". The lobby is very comfortable and inviting. This is where the "breakfast" is set up in the morning and they had a good selection. My room was a good size and had a modern bathroom and vanity area with plenty of counter space.

The only downsides....the bed seemed a little old and I think the mattress needs replacing. And since this is a motel with the room door opening into a hallway (instead of outside) I did hear hallway traffic. I think it was originally built with a thicker carpeting than it has now because the space between the door and the floor let in a lot of light. But neither of these was a big deal. I would stay here again.

Just about forgot.....nice indoor pool area with motel-sized pool and a very nice hot tub.

The receptionist was friendly and helpful and did not seem to mind my interruptions of her constant texting.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The first thing you notice upon arriving is the strong western decor in the spacious lobby. Lots of mounted animals and fish - it's like walking into Cabela's! It was done very professionally and looks really nice. The hotel room was also spacious and included 2 sinks (one inside the bathroom, one outside the bathroom) plus a fridge, microwave and a good-sized TV. The room was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable. The free breakfast was a little weak, but it was enough to get the day started. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GoSyncro
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Traveling across SD, WY and MT in January can be challenging. This charming motel was our first night's stop after a very long day struggling with winter roads. Accommodating front desk staff worked with us when we made our reservation to be sure we had a first floor room near the breakfast area given my mobility issues. (no elevator) We passed through a hall with absolutely wonderful historic photos from Murdo on our way to and from breakfast. These are museum quality and genuinely added to our trip experience.

Bed and linens were very nice for the price of the room, and the room was scrupulously clean. My only reservation about the property is that the walls were very thin between our room and the next. Our neighbors were extremely considerate, and we had no problems at all, but if anyone had been watching tv late at night, for example, we might have had a different experience.

If you want options other than Subway, I advise you to eat in Chamberlain or Mitchell (going West).

Room Tip: Room 105 is ideally located for access to parking and the lobby/breakfast area. It is a King bed ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laurel W
Andrea S, Owner at Range Country, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

We are very pleased to have had you stay with us at Range Country and that we were able to accomadate your needs to make your stay more enjoyable. We appoligize for not providing you with adaquate information reguarding the dining options available for you. We have a fabulous Gourmet Pizza Parlor located right next door to the motel called Prairie Pizza. There is also the Buffalo Steak House & Lounge.within walking distance that serves homemade soup every night, on their salad bar, as well as a full menu of steak & sandwiches. The GTO Diner serves a full menu from breakfast to nightly dinners.