“Very pricey, dark and slow!”

Chef Louie's Steak House & Lounge
Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Mitchell
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2011

VERY expensive, poorly lit, and the service was terribly slow! Paid $20 for a steak that was so crispy on the outside that It was hard to chew, and more fat than steak. Delicious honey butter for the bread, but that alone doesn't make up for the $56 it cost a family or 4 to eat, and for a very mediocre meal.

2  Thank ErrinW

Reviewed September 17, 2011

On the road to Badlands, and this restaurant gets a very high rating from us. Filet and pork chop were terrific and perfectly prepared.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

In the middle of S.D. we get told not to miss this place.
We both enjoyed the food and atmosphere.Never expected this.
Must try.

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Not to be a snob, but one would not expect to find such an excellent restaurant in Mitchell, SD. If you are traveling on I-90 it is definitely worth stopping in Mitchell to eat at this fine establishment. You won't find anything as good until you hit the Twin Cities or Chicago. The menu is huge, including duck, many excellent beef cuts and a fine wine list. The food we had here was some of the best I have eaten in years, but I especially recommend the flavorful beef. Contrary to other reviews, our server was efficient, prompt and pleasant. I rate the service among the best I have experienced. The restaurant has been in family hands for two generations. The father recently turned it over to two sons. They both were in the restaurant working their tails off the night we were there. Their care to attention really showed in both the food and service. If we pass through again, we will definitely make a point to stop. A tip: the place is full on weekends. Definitely make reservations--even in Mitchell, SD. Oh, and the prices are a gift! (Also, visit the Corn Palace and the fine museums in Mitchell if you go!)

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We were disappointed with this restaurant. The decor was great. Our server was nice and very busy, trying to wait on 6 tables.

I ordered the pork chop with granberry glaze and a side salad. My husband ordered the $25 El Forno steak medium well.

She brought me soup..uh, I ordered the salad. Once it arrived, the lettuce had streaks of brown running through it.

We waited 45 minutes for our entrees! Mine was tough and my husband had to return his steak...very red inside.

All in all, if I were to return to Mitchell, there's no way I would go back to Chef Louie's.

2  Thank It'sTimeToTravel