“Very nice place to stay”

Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The girl at the front desk was so nice and cheerful - both on the phone and when we arrived. We had a lovely spacious room with 2 queen beds - vanity outside tub and shower area. Lots of room to put luggage and computer, etc.
Bed was comfortable and we slept well. The room was clean.
Amenities - fridge and microwave - as well as a table with chair and overstuffed lounger.
They have a hot tub and sauna, but since it was near 100 degrees outside when we visited, the thought of a hot tub was not on our minds!
Continental breakfast is average - cereal, bakery and the usual beverages.
For the price, this was a great stay.
Location is also great - the Chinese restaurant Twin Dragon is right next door, and excellent. There are other places to eat within easy driving range. And the McDonald's is also next door.
Getting to the Corn Palace is very easy -
Highly recommend the Thunderbird Lodge.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This motel seemed like a typical motel when I checked in. It was outdated, which I didn't think was the worst thing because a lot of motels are...but I was attacked by BED BUGS in the middle of the night. I did due diligence and checked the mattresses, drawers, etc, and didn't bring my suitcase in (thankfully), but for $140/night I assumed at the very least I wouldn't be eaten alive. I woke up with 15 huge welts all over my chest, arms and neck. When I told the front desk worker, she said, "No, we don't have bed bugs." She continued to debate me, then told me they didn't have any other rooms available (as if I wanted them). I slept in my vehicle and in the morning told the front desk I would be checking out and they said they could vacuum the room....like that would make a difference. All in all....I'll never stay at the Thunder DUMP again. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was an average stay lodge and ok for the price. We booked two rooms and both were fine for the overnight stay. The front desk service was good. Location is good, we walked to Perkins Restaurant but McDonald's was right next door for those who wanted fast food. We would probably stay again.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here as an overnight stop with the family on the way to the Black Hills. From the outside, it looked a little suspicious at first, the giant concrete rabbit out front made me wonder what I had gotten us in to. But I was pleasantly surprised; the room was very clean and had a microwave and refrigerator. Wi-Fi worked well. The hot tub and sauna area was very clean as well. Front desk staff was friendly. The complimentary breakfast was the basic cereal, doughnut and muffin assortment, but appropriate to the price. There are several restaurants within walking distance, ranging from McDonald’s to Perkins with a few truck stop types in between. Easy access to I-90. Dogs not allowed, but my daughter liked the rabbit!

Good reasonably priced property. I’d come back again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Mitchell, SD and the Thunderbird Lodge was a good stopping over point on our way from west central Missouri to Custer, SD. This little mom & pop type motel was clean and provided everything we needed for our exhausted bodies. The front desk staff was excellent. Super nice and had a lot of great information. We arrived late evening and left early morning, so our stay was just kind of a passing thru kind of deal. But what we saw of the motel was it is not fancy, but clean and the folks were friendly. The motel did offer breakfast, but it was very, very basic with toast and donuts, juice and coffee (very good coffee!). I will say the only draw back was our a/c unit was very, very loud, but this did dround out the motorcycles coming and going on the highway since we were there the Thursday before the Sturgis bike rally. The location is very convenient to the highway, fast food and the Corn Palace.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Passing through and just needing somewhere to sleep (affordably), it was between Thunderbird Lodge and another fancier hotel near the same price. My husband thought I was weird, but I chose Thurderbird Lodge because the man I spoke to on the phone sounded friendly. (The woman I spoke to at the fancier hotel was kind of rude). Yes, it was on the older side and I almost thought we pulled into a hotel that had a bowling alley connected to it (it doesn't), but we were pleasantly surpised by the room. He gave us a family suite. It was two large rooms, one with 2 double queen beds and the other room with another queen bed. Perfect for our family. The room was clean. The breakfast was fine. Nothing fancy, but adequate. The staff was friendly.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were put in an exterior room, right behind the steps to the upstairs. This meant we could not park in front of our room and there was a blaring light that we could not block out with the drapes. The room is large, but very dingy. The refrigerator has mold it. The bathroom is SMALL and the shower floor so slick I will not allow my son to shower for fear he will slip. The beds are extremely uncomfortable. I am writing this from the hotel at three in the morning. I cannot sleep because I keep hearing something scurrying in the ceiling tiles. We are checking out!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family