“Outdated. Small rooms”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Banner Elk, North Carolina
“Outdated. Small rooms”
Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

Ez to find off I-90. The staff were all very friendly. The downside is the small rooms, & uncomfortable beds. The bedspreads look overly used. There is a microwave & refrigerator in the room, but no coffee maker...they want guests to walk to the office for a small foam cup of coffee. Really !!! The bathroom is very nice, it looks updated. Parking was an issue, a bit if a walk. We also stayed 2 nites in June on our return trip home. This review will work for the room as well. There was an issue with the toilet not working in the 1st room. And the 2nd, we noticed the smoke detector was missing. ( didn't notice in the previous room ). I did receive an email to answer a few questions from our 1st stay in May. But not one for June when I left a comment that I would address that stay. If you just need a nite or two ... It'll do... But, next time I'll find a more updated motel.

But they did leave the light on. Hahaha.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mitchell, South Dakota
Reviewed March 10, 2012

The room was very clean, the area very quiet. Close to stores, places to eat, and of course, the Corn Palace! The manager was very professional, very pleasant. One of the nicest places I stayed on my trip. Most reasonably priced as well! My only "complaint," is that the room was very small. It should have been designated for a queen bed, but it had two doubles with no room on one side of each bed, which were positioned against the wall on one side and the heater/air conditioner on the other!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Deadwood, South Dakota
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This has been our 3rd stay here. Thought we would give it one more try. 3rd Strike. The 1st stay was ok. The 2nd stay was horrid. Dogs barking all night long. People yelling outside of room. It sounded like they were moving in. Very dirty and smelly. 3rd visit and this is IT! Very dirty blankets on bed. I would not even give them to my dogs. The box spring was poking through and all they did was duct tape it. I would not even sleep under the sheets, as they looked like they had not even been changed and threadbare. Last time we stay here, we finally learned our lesson.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this to anyone!!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DisappointedAgain3

Travelers are raving about these Mitchell hotels

Emmaus
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I do not expect too much of Motel 6 rooms, but this one clean and in a quiet neighborhood, although it was quite small even by Motel 6 standards. Unlike many Motel 6 rooms, it had a fridge.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We (3 boys, 3, 8, and 10, with grand parents) booked on the phone for a pair of Queen sized beds at over $100 for 1 night. We arrived late, so upon seeing two double beds (NOT QUEEN), that barely fit into the room, we decided to stay, especially since they made it clear there would be NO REFUNDS. I need a sleep machine, so I moved the tiny desk/shelf between the beds to plug it in. It appeared I was the first to move it in many years. The dust, dirt, and trash back there were unbelieveable. The pillows were so thin, it was like using just a pillow case. When I laid down, the bed had a sag in the middle so bad, I was nearly on the floor. The nearness it created only added to a sleepless night. The carpet was like walking on a bed sheet it was so old and warn out. There was NO internet reception even though it was advertised. The TV was old and had a POOR picture. NO digital signal here so HD is nowhere to be found. Pool? If they had one, we didn't see it, but I doubt we would have used it if we did find it. WE WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS MOTEL TO ANYONY BUT A HEALTH INSPECTOR WHO COULD MAKE THEM CLEAN IT UP, UPDATE IT (building), CHARGE LESS (franchise), OR CONDEMN IT AND TEAR IT DOWN. This is a disgrace to ANY hotel franchise, so I wonder if the Motel 6 franchise is even aware of the problems here. The GOOD part was when we were in our car driving away without a confrontation of the problems.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank I P
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Very dirty room, hair on blankets and sheets . Smashed bugs on the wall and then we were moved to a much nicer and cleaner pool side room, The lady named Christina was kind yet very embarrassed by the first initial room presented to us. Called the manager whom didn't even bother to see what condition the room was. Told the lady to take pics and leave room for cleaning staff to see in the morning. Basically made it a sample of poor work. But when we were given the new room the lady made sure she told us this room was higher in price but they would not charge us the difference,,,really???? We had to take our bags and clothes and food back to our car and go yet to the other room. To unpack yet again and they want to make sure we know that are giving us a deal ? Really ???????????? We would not ever stay there again and stayed at a beautiful place with cabins . I took picks and would gladly use them to show others what we had to walk into.I would not recommend this place at all. Nor would my husband.

Room Tip: check your room out before unpacking your things from your car
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dandyrue
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This hotel was horrid. First we got mauled by mosquitoes on the way in, you couldn't leave the room or else 50 more flew in. They had old fashioned bug zappers which you got to listen to buzzing all night. Don't they believe in spraying the overgrown fields around them? The manager told us "well if you find any problems with the room you'll just come up and tell us right?" we agreed thinking it was suspicious. Tried to get on the free wifi that night and kept getting error messages that the network hadnt been set up, and in the lobby there hung a sign saying they couldn't help with any internet connection problems. That next morning we discovered there was a bug (big scare!) in the bed and when we went to take it to the front desk to identify it, after finding out it was a tick, they told us that they didnt have any problems with bedbugs "in that room"...and there was a stack of mattresses in the back parking lot that "were just extras when the motel was sold". We went back to the room to discover HUGE stains all over the mattresses and then we got a phone call from the manager saying that we didnt claim our pets and he was charging us extra. We did, and had asked them if they were pet friendly before renting...some kid just didn't put it in the computer. He screamed at us and threatened to call the police...but never charged the card the extra 25 per pet that he threatened. The ONLY reason we stayed was we were stuck in a storm with our 1 year old baby...looking at in the light we would have driven to ANY other motel. save your family from this disgusting place!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family