“Our food was great!”

The Depot Pub and Grill
Ranked #5 of 57 Restaurants in Mitchell
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is an old train depot turned into a bar and grill. Although we could do without the predictable TVs all over the place displaying sports, at least the volume was turned off and it was quite a pleasant place to eat. The server was charming and efficient. My barbequed pork sandwich with waffle fries ($6.49, take that chain restaurants) was just yummy, and my wife's bowl of philly cheese steak soup was, I have to say it, incredible. Rich and creamy, terrific flavor, and it was $4.50! Take that franchises. The menu is varied and although these two entrees were specials, the other items on the menu were not unreasonable, we felt. Daily drink specials are tempting also. Definitely worth a try in this chraming authentic middle-America town.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Dinner in an old train depot? Heck yes! Needless to say, the atmosphere here is amazing. It doesn't look much like an old train depot until you start looking at the structure. It's pretty neat. We were greeted and seated right away. Our server was very friendly and polite. I ordered the Meatless Spaghetti. My salad was amazing because they actually had my favorite dressing. (I use balsamic vinagariette, which is not carried by many restaurants.) The spaghetti was pretty average, but the breadstick served with it was incredible! Delicious, warm and light. I also ordered cheesecake, which was also pretty average.

I would recommend it this place.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

On a business trip to Sioux Falls, we needed gas and food, and on a whim, made a side-trip to the Corn Palace in Mitchell. At the Corn Palace, the nice ladies making up popcorn bags tipped us off to The Depot as a good local spot and right down the street (210 South Main -- (605) 996-9417) And we thoroughly enjoyed it for lunch. Owner John Foster has done a very nice job with the old freight depot that in many towns now just sit abandoned.

They have a wide range of interesting beers on tap, (we abstained but it's good to know for future reference) and a good menu selection. One of our party had a "chicken cordon bleu sandwich with chicken, ham, and cheese which was great. Two of us had a prime rib french dip which was wonderful with really good fries.

It was just after the lunch hour, and the service was attentive and quick. We didn't encounter any of the downsides that some of the other reviewers apparently experienced, and had a very nice lunch. If we're in town at lunch or dinner, we'll definitely try it again.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Service was really friendly but the food was average. Nice place to spend an evening during the week if you are a business traveler. Drinks and average meal.

1  Thank mlickne1
Reviewed December 4, 2012

In town on business again and after havng been to Chef Louie's many times I was looking for someplace else.

Seeing the reviews on the Depot I figured this would be as good as any place to try.
Well good news and bad.

I was greeted promptly at the door. My waiter was right there, however when I ordered my food I needed to show him the menu because he didn't understand the choices for my menu selection.

The Asparagas Chowder soup was very good. However my choice The Depot Dinner Steak an 8oz Top Sirloin had an off favor to it. After trying a couple of bites just to be sure I didn't imagine this, I gave up on the steak and ate my bread instead.

I didn't report it to my waiter because by this point I didn't want it to be replaced.

So this could have just been something weird but, I did enjoy the Chowder.

1  Thank 1_TravelerMidwestUSA