“Unique Tourist Trap”
Review of Corn Palace

Corn Palace
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Mitchell
More attraction details
Owner description: This ornate auditorium has served as a meeting place and performing venue for more than 75 years.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Pittsburgh
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Unique Tourist Trap”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

With the National Parks being closed, I found myself with some extra time to see things on my cross country drive. So we thought we'd check out this corn palace. It definitely is a unique building. Other than the exterior, there's not all that much to see. There's a small museum and gift shop inside, (along with the basketball arena that it houses). What I found most interesting were the photos of different designs of the corn palace in years past. At least it doesn't cost anything to go inside and look around.

Visited October 2013

Centreville, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Unique to say the least”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Driving west down I-90, we decided to stop and see the Mitchell Corn Palace. We arrived too early for it to be open for tourists so we just walked around the outside and looked at a few of the shops that were open already. It is a unique thing to visit and to me it was a cool little place to see on our trip across America. Very novel idea and I liked this years theme which was a tribute to the armed forces.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bill W
Missouri
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Touristy but neat”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Neat little downtown area with shops and restaurants. Good for a pit stop. Neat how they make the murals out of corn. It was basically a big open gym with lots of little shops/kiosks for you to browse with some hallways and areas with information on the palace. You can get food there too (popcorn balls, ice cream, and some concession items).

Visited July 2013
Mississippi
171 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Very Unusual”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife liked this better than I did. She was impressed by the construction, the materials, the appearance, you name it. I also thought it was interesting but I kept thinking it was just a gimmick that a small town had used to put itself on the map and garner visitors. If you've never seen a Corn Palace, then this is the place to go to see one. Admission was free, and there are lots of interesting pictures on the interior walls. There's also a gift shop, of course, a snack bar, and nice rest rooms. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank psychprofessor
frankfort,kansas usa
“amazing attraction”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

we were too late to go inside, but spent a lot of time taking pictures on the outside! No wonder this is the worlds only corn palace! It is quite a feat and changing all the time, we could tell by the plans on the front! It something amazing to see whether you can go in or not! Don't miss it!

Visited September 2013

Been to Corn Palace? Share your experiences!