“Loved the hotel”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Loved the hotel”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Only stayed overnight on the way to Keystone / Rapid City. But the stay could not have been any more perfect. The hotel was very clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and the shower had plenty of hot water. The towels and sheets were soft and comfortable.

Breakfast was fine which there was a choice of: sausage patties, omelets, pancakes (made by what can best be described as the pancake-o-matic machine), choice of 3 juices, milk, and cereal (I may have left a couple of items out).
The meals can be brought back to your room if you don't want to sit in the dinning area to eat.

I did not get to use the pool or see the exercise room. However the pool slide looked wicked as it was either one or two stories tall.

The television was a large LCD. I was to tired to watch it and I didn't get a chance to see if it had a breakout box for connecting your own video input (hdmi, rca jacks, etc).

If I find myself driving West again I will definitely plan another night here.

2 Thank Outlawa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2012

A minor misunderstanding almost lead to a disappointing stay. The manager at this hotel was phenomenal. She went way out of her way to make us feel at home, taking time away from the many things that I'm sure she had to do in order to resolve the issue. I'm very thankful that she happened to be there, stepped out of her office to work with us and I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Rooms were comfortable and, most important to the two 8-year-olds I was traveling with, the pool slide (check on the full website for days it's open) was super-awesome-fun. It's always nice to get a good solid breakfast, complete with protein, without having to leave the hotel first. The man who checked us in at 2:00 AM was very nice, and it was great to find out that the parking lot was safe enough to leave a portion of our immense horde of objects in the car. We had room 202 and it was very quiet. It wasn't the most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in, but definitely the best crises-based customer service I've seen.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the 2nd floor toward the back and it was quiet. If one takes the stairs, the...
2 Thank Agapantha B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We only stayed for one night but it was a very good breakfast for a Holiday Inn, and the lady serving was very friendly, as was the man who checked us in.
Nice to have a wet-bar sink in the room itself (unlike in comparable Comfort Inn suite), and we used the very clean fridge and microwave.
Swimming pool was too cold - especially later in the day. The water-slide is only in operation during the weekends. Needs a restaurant closer by (that is walkable).
Got my Priority Club extra points recognized.
I really struggle to see how these types of rooms can be described as suites, because the "wall" between the sleeping and living areas was no more than 4 feet high and 3 feet across. Parents - don't expect to be able to put the kids to bed and still have a conversation on the sofa - you are only 2 feet away from the beds.

Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We were surprised to have such a good stop in what seemed "middle of nowhere". Hotel was clean, spacious rooms and very friendly staff. Will come here again.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank LittleMac2
Nebraska
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel in the past few months. Both stays were very good. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, though they don't seem to recognize Priority Club status with any special perks so no upgrades, no special greetings, etc. This hotel is super clean and well maintained. It is within walking distance to Cabela's and there are a few restaurants within walking distance. I will choose this hotel on future stays in the area. I felt it was a good value for the price paid. Hotel has waterslides open on the weekends and are staffed by lifeguards. My little guy loved this, though the pool area is quite small and was pretty busy during our February (weekend) trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank nebrtraveler
Rosemount, Minnesota
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel as well as the Hampton, each a few times. This is my preferred place to go. The staff here puts it above the others. I am gauranteed to be greeted with a sincere smile when I walk through the door. That means a lot when you're on the road frequently. Above Average rooms, pool, breakfast and SERVICE!!! The only thing where the Hampton takes the cake is with the fitness center - it is decked out to the max - whereas the Holiday Inn just has a few treadmills and an elliptical. Also, you should know that there is a price difference between the two hotels, the Holiday Inn running about $10 higher, but it is worth it to me.

Room Tip: There are some King suites that have a window into the pool. If you don't want this, make sure...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Janice H
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stay here quite frequently on trips and have never been unhappy. The staff is nice, the work out treadmills are new and the rooms are great. I have to commute 50 miles for work but the drive is worth it when considering the choices in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business