“Tour into History”

Black Hills Mining Museum
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Lead
More attraction details
Owner description: Walk through time with the "miners" in timbered passages of a simulated underground gold mine, constructed by over 130 Homestake miners. View historic mining artifacts and local history exhibits. Pan your own gold and visit the gift shop.
Humble, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Tour into History”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

It was an interesting tour but the artifacts in the museum were very interesting. Big plus for me is they research History for you. I had a great great great grandfather that was killed in the mine in 1896. Personable staff was plus.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank George H

Wellesley, Massachusetts
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Everything you'd want to know”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This museum consists of two parts: a replica mine, showing mannequins performing mine work, suprisingly informative; and upstairs displays of artifacts. Our guide was well informed, personalizing the museum experience by talking about family members who had worked in the mine. This was a world I knew little about and I'm happy for the historical context (especially as I've visited other mining areas).

Visited June 2013
Aberdeen, SD
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Learned A Lot!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The museum and the tour of the mine replica was so informative! I learned a lot about mining in general and the Homestake Mine in particular. The tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly!

Very good information about the progression of changes in mining. The tour would not be accessible for anyone in a wheel chair or with difficulties walking up and down stairs.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank phrogster
Portland, Oregon
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A Very Good Museum!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This museum is well worth going to if you have any interest in the history of mining in the Back Hills. As a retired professional who worked many years in the mining industry, I found the exhibits to be very well planned and extremely informative. I particularly liked how, unlike many other mining museums, this one included quite a few exhibits explaining the sociology of the district and describing what it was like to live in the area and to work in the Homestake and other Black Hills' mines. I did not take the tour offered by the museum of a "simulated" mine, but imagine (based on the high quality of the museum's exhibits) that it would be very interesting to anyone who was unfamiliar with the techniques used in mining and processing ore. In short, this is a gem among mining museums and has a staff that clearly wants to help the public understand the mining industry.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank J K
Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“And there was gold!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The #1 thing we wanted to do on vacation was pan for gold. We stopped by a local shop and they told us to come here. We were very pleased with the results. We did not take the tour however we did the panning. Ended up finding a small Nugget in my panning. It's very fun. The gentleman running the front were very informative and made sure you were doing it correct.

Visited August 2013