H and H El Centro Motel
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
  • Free Internet
Good 3.5/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were headed to a campsite in the Badlands when bad thunderstorms were forecast. We decided to forego the camping and look for a hotel room. We drove by this place twice and finally decided to give it a go. There is a strong cigarette smell in the lobby, but the lady at the desk was nice and the room was reasonably priced, and they let us take our dog in the room with us. The room was clean and big enough for a family of four plus dog. There was a full-size fridge in the lobby where we could store our cooler food over night. Kids enjoyed a swim and the pool was nice and clean. Got dinner at the diner next door; free breakfast next morning was not much (muffins, Danish, toast, juice, coffee) but you could buy breakfast too if you wanted. We were pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the pool side of the lobby, they seemed nicer than on the diner side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M J
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Traveling on a motorcycle all day we were approaching a bad thunderstorm. We arrived at Rodeway because of necessity. We had not planned this destination. At first glance we thought the room was pretty nice for the price. We were hungry and left right away to have dinner next door. When we got back it had started to rain heavily. Within an hour we had returned to the room. My husband walked into the bathroom and turned on the light/fan. He almost fell in the bathroom. There was water "pouring", (not dripping) from the electric fan/light and the floor was flooded with water. We used the towels and waste can to catch the water. When I called the front desk the gentleman's only comment was "do you need more towels for the floor"! We were not given an option to use another room. We were so tired from traveling 600 miles that day we just depended on the wastecan to catch the water and went to sleep. The next morning there were waterbugs in the bathroom. I had felt something also is our bed. There were potato chip crumbs in our bed. No, we did not have a late night snack. They were left from previous visitors - our sheets were not clean sheets. Needless to say we left without a shower and were glad to be gone. What a disgusting place.

Room Tip: Do not even bother stopping in Kadoka. You'd be much better off driving to another city. If we weren't traveling on a motorcycle with a storm chasing after us we would have kept on going. Our bad luck will save someone else making that mistake. The health department should shut them down!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gayle L
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at around 8:30pm during a thunder and hail storm. The lobby has a cigarette stench probably due to what I assume is the owner's residence.
We were assigned a king size room and schlepped all of our road trip stuff in only to find the room totally unmade. We were then moved next door to another room after I walked over in the rain to get the new key. (They did offer to have the manager bring it over after I asked but could not say when.)
While moving things next door we lost a memory chip the size of a dime. I went back in the rain to the office for the old room key again to search. I asked the older man, who I assume owns the place with his wife, if there was a chance at any compensation off of the room price. He said, "no ma'am" and that was that.
The room is adequate. That's all I will safe. The mattresses are old, but the bathroom appears fresh enough. I have not used it yet, since we're still trying to find our memory chip. Had we not had to move rooms I would be tucked in by now.
I hate that I see another review about an unmade rooms. That's the biggest part of the motel service! A clean room that customers can trust.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

High winds and towering thunderheads frightened me off of I-90, and i needed shelter. The Rodeway was the only chain motel I could see, and I was offered a $50 rate (before tax). I was pleasantly surprised at the size and furnishings of the room. The bed was reasonably comfortable, and nothing was scratched/dented/dirty. It even has a fridge & microwave, and a little dining table w/ two chairs.

There were only two small snags. I could never find the mechanism to divert water to the showerhead & had to make do with a splash bath. Also, the walls are kind of thin. I could vaguely hear the people next door coughing, talking, etc.

Also, you should be aware that the diner in front has closed. Not sure if that's seasonal thing, or if it's just defunct. For dinner, the Club 27 Steakhouse is across the road.

There's little cell service in this region, and I'd neglected to buy a calling card. The manager was kind enough to let me use the motel's phone to update my BF with my location. (Thanks again!)

Room Tip: Try for an end unit - less noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We arrived fairly late on in the day during our 'wing it' road trip. So we had not pre planned any stop overs and just taking it as it comes. And it came pretty crappy at this motel stop. From the outside, it does look very well taken care of and appealing to a would be traveller passing by. On entering the reception area, you are hit with the stench of cigarette smoke. But to counter act it, a very friendly and helpful female, who I presume owns the spot. We got sorted with the room number and keys etc and all payed up, and went off to the room. We got to the room, and it hadn't been cleaned. Not a problem, but as we were late arriving, it would suggest that the room was like that all day, and was intending to stay that way all night. Unless there was a late night cleaner! She was very apologetic and gave us another room with an upgrade to a king size bed. The prices are steep for the condition of the rooms. Old fashioned and an even older a/c system.

I would have rated this a little higher to maybe average, but the breakfast just killed it. The bread was stale, along with the muffins. The orange juice was a little over 3 weeks out of date, the cranberry juice was a carton of concentrate with no water to dilute. After that I was even interested in looking into the condition of the cereal. We left the juice on the side, lobbed the muffins in the bin and made an exit. Everything was reasonable up to that point to a certain degree, but for $70 a night, a little fresh breakfast wouldn't go a miss.

Room Tip: Go to the motel behind the gas station. It looked nice. Or even better, carry on to wall of the badlands. A cabin in the badlands would be sweet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple